Pomegranates are one of the healthiest fruits on this planet. They are loaded with multiple nutrients and are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, protein, fibre, folate and potassium. In order to further elaborate on the health benefits of pomegranates, health coach Luke Coutinho went live on Facebook recently. For thousands of years, pomegranates are used as medicine in different civilisations across the world. This is not to infer that fruits like pomegranate can replace medicines for treating health problems. The idea is to say that any disease is multifactorial. And to treat it, there are many things which people need to do so as to eliminate its root cause, along with its symptoms.
Pomegranate is a fruit which is grown in abundance and is also extremely tasty. Including pomegranate in your diet can be helpful for everyone.
Health benefits of pomegranate which will surprise you
1. The fruit is a rich source of beneficial antioxidants. It has antiviral and anti-tumour properties. It is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and even folic acid.
2. Pomegranate is good for your skin, hair and helps in boosting immunity. A strong immunity is important for prevention and quick healing of diseases.
3. Pomegranates have almost 3 times the antioxidants of green tea and red wine. These antioxidants help in fighting damage caused by free radicals in the body.
4. Pomegranate has a property which can help in thinning of blood. This is the reason the fruit is recommended for heart patients.
5. It is a great fruit for people who have arthritis, knee pain or have cartilage that are getting weaker. Pomegranate plays a huge role in protecting our cartilage by neutralising the enzyme which breaks down cartilage.
6. Pomegranate is good for people with diabetes as well. It helps in improving your insulin sensitivity and is thus beneficial for diabetics.
7. Pomegranate helps in regulating cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure levels. It is a heart-friendly fruit and can be eaten every day. Opt for whole fruits instead of pomegranate juice, recommends Luke.
8. The fruit is also great to be given to children. It can stay fresh for 6 to 7 hours and doesn’t need refrigeration.
9. Pomegranate is great for improving memory and brain health. People with Alzheimer’s and dementia can benefit by including pomegranate in their diet. The fruit is excellent for generation of neurons in the brain.
10. Pomegranate is a great fruit for improving sexual performance and fertility. This is because it helps in improving blood flow in your reproductive organs – which is an essential requirement for good sexual health. The fruit also helps in improving fertility.
11. Ellagic acid in pomegranate is great for hormonal balance in the body. This is especially for people who have more production of oestrogen in the body. Men suffering from prostate cancer can benefit by including pomegranate in their diet.
(Luke Coutinho, Holistic Lifestyle Coach – Integrative Medicine)
Include This Nut In Your Diet For Glowing And Radiant Skin
Nuts are all time favourite whether you want to munch it for a health reason or simply because they are delicious. All the nuts are healthy and provide numerous health benefits. But this nut stands out from all the rest because of its superb nutritional value. These nuts are Brazil nuts. They are edible seeds from the Brazil nut tree, and they can be consumed either raw or blanched. The nuts grow inside a round, thick, brown, coconut-like shell, in orange-like segments which, when split open, reveals around ten to twenty Brazil nuts. Brazil nut is smooth in texture, extremely delicious and has an earthy flavour. Nutrient-dense these nuts are beneficial for the skin, hair and overall health.
According to nutrionist Monisha, a Delhi-based Nutritionist, ” With a low saturated fat content and a high unsaturated fat profile eating Brazil nuts is an excellent way to get rid of high LDL levels. High in selenium these nuts are an excellent way to fight cancer causing free radicals. If you are feeling low? Let go of your sweet cravings and have a handful of Brazil nuts! The selenium present in it will just lift up your mood.”
Top 5 amazing benefits of Brazil nuts:
1. Weight control: Brazil nut help in weight management. They are rich in protein and fiber that control hunger and stop you from overeating in the next meal. Eating a small serving of Brazil nuts helps you keep full for a longer time, thereby reducing the likelihood of snacking in between the meals.
2. Healthy heart: Brazil nuts contain high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids that reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. These nuts are an excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic and palmitoleic acid. This is beneficial for lowering the bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol in the blood. Selenium in Brazil nuts helps in preventing the clotting of blood.
3. Glowing skin: Selenium in Brazil nuts speeds up the cell turnover process, providing a natural glow to the skin. The high levels of antioxidants in Brazil nuts stimulate the production of glutathione, which combats free radicals that damage the skin collagen. The Vitamin E present in nuts also maintains the integrity of the cells of the mucus membranes and the skin.
4. Prevents cancer: The antioxidants in Brazil nuts that help prevent atherosclerosis are beneficial in preventing certain cancers. A study from Cornell University and the University of Arizona demonstrated that those test subjects who took 200 mcg selenium (which Brazil nuts are packed with) every day for at least 10 years showed a significant reduction (as much as 41%) in cancer rates compared to those who did not.
5. Thyroid control: The anti-oxidant selenium in Brazil nut is an important nutrient that plays a major role in proper functioning of the thyroid. It is a major key component to be able to create and use hormones produced by the thyroid. Thyroid is responsible in controlling our body’s metabolism, heart rate and temperature.
” The best way to incorporate these nuts into your diet is simply add them to your smoothie for an extra dose of taste and good health,” the nutritionist added.
(Monisha Ashokan is a clinical nutritionist at Nourish Me, Delhi)
Obesity and vitamin D deficiency can raise risk of breast cancer
Breast cancer: Higher levels of vitamin D can reduce risk of breast cancer mortality by 50% in women with lower body mass index (BMI), says a new study.
Obesity coupled with vitamin D deficiency in postmenopausal women may pose a significant risk of breast cancer — the most common and leading cause of death in women, finds a study. The findings showed that higher levels of vitamin D — well known for its benefits in building healthy bones — may reduce breast cancer mortality by 50% in women with lower body mass index (BMI). Vitamin D reduces cancer risk by inhibiting cell proliferation, the researchers said.
“This study suggests that higher levels of vitamin D in the body are associated with lowered breast cancer risk,” said JoAnn Pinkerton, Executive Director at The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) in the US. “Vitamin D may play a role in controlling breast cancer cells or stopping them from growing. Vitamin D comes from direct sunlight exposure, vitamin D3 supplements, or foods rich in vitamin D,” Pinkerton added.
Reproductive risk factors such as early onset of puberty, late menopause, later age at first pregnancy, never having been pregnant, obesity, and a family history have all been shown to be associated with breast cancer development. For the study, published in the journal Menopause, the team involved more than 600 Brazilian women.
They found that postmenopausal women had an increased risk of vitamin D deficiency at the time of their breast cancer diagnoses, associated with higher rates of obesity, than women of the same age group without cancer. The results showed that women in the highest quartile of vitamin D concentrations, in fact, had a 50% lower death rate from breast cancer than those in the lower quartile, suggesting that vitamin D levels should be restored to a normal range in all women with breast cancer.
Revealed! Surprising Facts About Breakfast Cereal You Never Knew
Breakfast cereal is made up from processed grain and is considered as a healthy early morning breakfast. But, are these cereal really healthy as they are perceived to be? It is usually eaten with milk, yogurt, fresh fruits, nuts and seeds. You were unaware of this but breakfast cereal is often fortified with vitamins and minerals. This means that the nutrients are added to make it nutritious. Breakfast cereals claim to be packed with essential vitamins and minerals. No doubt, they are a convenient option for both kids and adults. Breakfast cereal are usually made up of corn, wheat, oats and rice. However, they also contain added nutrients like vitamins and minerals, salt, added sugar, preservatives, yeast, and some other flavorings to enhance the taste. Some breakfast cereal also contains added nuts and dried fruits, coated with chocolate.
According to the Delhi based nutritionist and author Pooja Malhotra, ”Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. So your breakfast choice holds a lot of significance. Breakfast must be a wholesome and balanced meal and should include all the important food groups. We can include whole grains like wheat, millets, oats etc in our breakfast. Not to forget, our breakfast must be freshly prepared from local and seasonal ingredients.” She further adds, ”Ready to eat breakfast cereals are laced with hidden sugars, chemical preservatives and various other additives. As a thumb rule, if the food comes from a plant, eat it; if it is manufactured in a plant, do not eat it! So ready to eat packaged cereals are best avoided. One can prepare one’s own home – made muesli or granola.”
Some reasons why you shouldn’t have cereal for breakfast:
1.Weight gain: No doubt, most breakfast cereals are flavored with preservatives, artificial food additives and sugars to make them more appetizing, especially to kids. As a result, regular consumption of cereals will lead to weight gain.
2. Gluten sensitivity: Gluten in the wheat-based products can irritate the intestines. Gluten is a protein that acts like glue which gradually builds up in the intestines. Gluten causes irritation in the gut. This will slow down your entire digestive process, eventually causing the body to absorb fewer nutrients. On top of that, gluten-sensitive individuals will suffer from minor discomforts such as bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation. Even more worse, gluten can slow down your metabolic rate, making you prone to weight gain.
3. Ultra – refined grains: Though the box of cereal will be misleading claiming ”made of whole grains or low-fat ingredients.” But when you look at the nutritional label, the first few on the list are often refined grains and sugar. They are highly processed foods and much of their nutrients and fiber is lost once they are made.
4. High in sugar and refined carbs: If you start your day with high-sugar breakfast cereal it will increase your blood sugar levels. A few hours later, your blood sugar may crash, and your body will crave for another high-carbohydrate meal or a snack, thus creating a vicious cycle of overeating. Excessive consumption of sugar may also increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart diseases and cancer.
(Pooja Malhotra is a Delhi based nutritionist and an author)
Subscribe to our mailing list and get breaking news and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.