In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless, and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Warner accepts 12-month ban over ball-tampering

Sydney: After Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft, sacked Australian batsman David Warner has now accepted the 12-month ban slapped on him in connection with a ball-tampering scandal that rocked cricket.
The former Australia vice-captain took to Twitter and said that he has duly informed Cricket Australia about his decision to take full responsibility for his role in the ball-tampering scandal.
”I have today let Cricket Australia know that I fully accept the sanctions imposed on me. I am truly sorry for my actions and will now do everything I can to be a better person, teammate and role model,” Warner said in the tweet.
In the latter part of his tweet, Warner said that he will now do everything to be a better person, a good teammate and a role model.
Warner’s tweet came a day after former captain Steve Smith said that he desperately wants to play for Australia again but will not be challenging a 12-month ban for a ball-tampering scandal that rocked cricket.
Opening batsman Cameron Bancroft echoed similar sentiments, saying he was determined to earn back the trust of the Australian public.
Cricket Australia last week suspended Smith and David Warner from all international and domestic cricket for a year, while Bancroft was suspended for nine months over the incident during the third Test in South Africa.
All three players have admitted what they did was wrong and a wave of sympathy has been growing for Smith since his public apology, during which he broke down in tears. The trio had been given time until Thursday to tell Cricket Australia whether they accepted their punishment or would opt for a hearing, as is their right.
Smith, a golden boy who is compared to Donald Bradman for his batting exploits, took to social media to make clear he would do his time. “I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country,” he tweeted, in his first comments since the emotional press conference on his return to Australia last Thursday.
“But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team. I wont be challenging the sanctions. Theyve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.”
Smith — the world`s number one Test batsman — was charged with knowledge of the potential ball-altering plan, while Warner was charged with developing the plot and instructing Bancroft to carry it out.