Islamabad:The Taliban said Monday they will participate in what they call “intra-Afghan” talks in Moscow designed to bring together prominent Afghan figures, including former President Hamid Karzai, opposition figures and tribal elders — but no Kabul government officials.
The two-day meeting in the Russian capital, which starts Tuesday, is seen as another step in a process aimed at resolving Afghanistan’s 17-year war, a process that has accelerated since the appointment last September of US peace envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad.
Khalilzad has been holding separate negotiations with the Taliban even as he presses for a dialogue that would bring together all key Afghan players.
However, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s office criticized the meeting in Moscow, saying that Afghan politicians attending the gathering were doing so “in order to gain power.” Ghani’s chief adviser, Fazel Fazly, tweeted that it was “regrettable.”
Suhail Shaheen, spokesman for the Taliban’s political office in the Gulf Arab state of Qatar, confirmed the Taliban participation. Their delegation is to be led by Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai.
The Taliban have refused to talk to Ghani’s government, which they denounce as a US puppet.
A statement released on Monday by Afghans attending the Moscow meeting described it as “the first step toward intra-Afghan dialogue.”
Along with Karzai, the former president, many of the 38 delegates from Kabul have held prominent government positions. Two presidential hopefuls are among those going to Moscow, including Hanif Atmar, who resigned as Ghani’s security adviser last August, apparently over differences with the president.
Also on the list are powerful warlords turned politicians and former Taliban insurgents who reconciled with the Kabul administration.
The Moscow gathering will further isolate Ghani, who has been irked by Khalilzad’s direct talks with the Taliban as well as the U.S. Envoy’s successive rounds of talks in regional countries.
The Russian government has denied orchestrating the meeting. Monday’s statement from Kabul said the Moscow-based Council of Afghan Society, an organization of the Afghan diaspora in Russia, was behind it.
It said the participants would discuss a range of issues, from a cease-fire, supporting Khalilzad initiatives to further “intra-Afghan” talks and ways to ensure a “powerful and democratic central government” in Afghanistan.
Washington has made no comments so far about the Russia-hosted talks. Since the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, following the Sept 11 terrorist attacks on the United States, Washington has spent more than USD 1 trillion on Afghanistan. President Donald Trump has repeatedly expressed his desire to bring US troops home, adding to the urgency of Khalilzad’s mission.
Reports late last year suggested Trump was considering withdrawing at least half of Washington’s estimated 15,000 troops from Afghanistan by the summer.
Trump’s confidence on lawsuit, calls it ‘open-and-closed case’
Washington D.C. (USA): President Donald Trump expressed confidence on Tuesday that he would prevail against a lawsuit filed by 16 US states seeking to block his declaration of a national emergency to fund a wall along the US border with Mexico.
The group of states, including California and New York, has charged the president and top officials in his administration with taking away taxpayer funds for their communities to fulfil a promise from his 2016 campaign to curb illegal immigration and the flow of drugs.
Trump’s remarks to reporters in the Oval Office suggested he was not concerned or surprised by the states’ legal challenge.
“I think, in the end, we’re going to be very successful with the lawsuit,” Trump said. “It’s an open-and-closed case.”
The American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday filed its own lawsuit in a US District Court in California, alleging that “Trump disregarded the will of Congress with his emergency declaration.”
Legal experts have said challenges to Trump’s emergency declaration, which critics have called unconstitutional, face an uphill and probably losing battle in a showdown likely to be decided by the conservative-majority US Supreme Court.
Trump declared the national emergency under a 1976 law after Congress declined to give him the USD 5.7 billion he wanted to build parts of the barrier this year.
The president’s demand for wall funding triggered a historic 35-day government shutdown that ended in January. Democrats and Republicans later agreed on a deal to avoid another shutdown with USD 1.4 billion allocated toward border fencing. Trump agreed to sign that and then declared a national emergency, redirecting an additional USD 6.7 billion beyond what lawmakers authorized for the project.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Virginia and Michigan joined forces for the lawsuit.
The states said Trump’s order would cause them to lose millions of dollars in federal funding for National Guard units dealing with counter-drug activities and that redirection of funds from authorised military construction projects would damage their economies.
Texas landowners and an environmental group also filed suit against the move.
Trump predicted the legal challenges when he made the announcement in the White House Rose Garden last week, and he defended his right to make the declaration on Tuesday.
“We need strong borders. We have to stop drugs and crime and criminals and human trafficking. And we have to stop all of those things that a strong wall will stop,” he said.
House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the country’s top Democrat, has called a wall immoral. The issue is likely to be a flashpoint in the 2020 presidential campaign, just as it was when Trump, a Republican, ran for president in 2016.
The ACLU suit, filed on behalf of the Sierra Club and the Southern Border Communities Coalition, said that in addition to diverting taxpayer money from other federal projects, Trump’s barrier would affect “ecologically sensitive habitats” and disturb wilderness areas along the border.
China closes Tibet to foreigners for sensitive anniversaries
Beijing: China is keeping foreign travelers out of Tibet during sensitive political anniversaries. Travel agencies contacted Wednesday said foreign tourists would not be allowed into the Himalayan region until April 1.
It’s not clear when the ban started, although some monitoring groups said it started this month.
March 10 is the 60th anniversary of an abortive 1959 uprising against Chinese rule in Tibet, while anti-government riots occurred March 14, 2008, in the regional capital Lhasa.
While the foreigner travel ban is an annual occurrence, the occasion of the 60th anniversary is drawing special attention from the authorities.
Amid heavy security on the ground, Tibet is almost entirely closed to foreign journalists and diplomats and information about actual conditions there is hard to obtain.
Theresa May in Brussels again, seeking Brexit movement
Brussels: British Prime Minister Theresa May makes another trip to Brussels on Wednesday, hoping European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker may prove more yielding than of late to salvage her Brexit deal.
With Britain set to jolt out of the world’s biggest trading bloc in 37 days unless May can either persuade the British parliament or the European Union to budge, officials were cautious on the chances of a breakthrough.
The key sticking point is the so-called backstop, an insurance policy to prevent the return of extensive checks on the sensitive border between EU member Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland.
May agreed on the protocol with EU leaders in November but then saw it roundly rejected last month by UK lawmakers who said the government’s legal advice that it could tie Britain to EU rules indefinitely made the backstop unacceptable.
She has promised parliament to rework the treaty to try to put a time limit on the protocol or give Britain some other way of getting out of an arrangement which her critics say would leave the country “trapped” by the EU.
A spokesman for May called the Brussels trip “significant” as part of a process of engagement to try to agree on the changes her government says parliament needs to pass the deal.
But an aide for Juncker quoted the Commission president as saying on Tuesday evening: “I have great respect for Theresa May for her courage and her assertiveness. We will have friendly talk tomorrow but I don’t expect a breakthrough.”
EU sources aired frustration with Britain’s stance on Brexit, saying Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay brought no new proposals to the table when he was last in Brussels on Monday for talks with the bloc’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier.
Anil Ambani guilty of contempt in Ericsson case, SC says 3 months jail if he fails to pay Rs 453 cr
On Tuesday, the EU responded to UK demands again: “The EU 27 will not reopen the withdrawal agreement; we cannot accept a time limit to the backstop or a unilateral exit clause,” said Margaritis Schinas, a spokesman for Juncker.
“We are listening and working with the UK government … for an orderly withdrawal of the UK from the EU on March 29.”
May’s spokesman again said it was the prime minister’s intention to persuade the EU to reopen the divorce deal.
“There is a process of engagement going on. Tomorrow is obviously a significant meeting between the prime minister and President Juncker as part of that process,” he said.
Why PM silent on Kashmiri students being targeted: Omar
Srinagar, February 21: NC leader Omar Abdullah on Thursday said why was the Prime Minister silent on Kashmiri students being...
India ‘to choke’ Pakistan’s water supply in light of Pulwama: Nitin Gadkari
New Delhi: Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, on Thursday, threatened that India would ‘choke’ the water supply to Pakistan in light...
Attack on Kashmiris: Lal Chowk, adjacent areas to remain shut from Friday afternoon
Srinagar, February 21 : The Valley traders Thursday decided to observe complete shutdown in Lal Chowk and adjoining areas from...
Guzlar Dar takes charge as Dir Information
Srinagar, Feb 21 : Gulzar Ahmad Dar Thursday assumed office as Director Information and PR relieving Tariq Ahmad Zargar of...
CRPF, other forces can now take commercial flights to Kashmir: Centre
New Delhi, February 21: Troops of the CRPF and other paramilitary forces deployed in the Kashmir Valley will now be...
IVR Institute takes action against 3 Kashmiri girls for ‘adverse remarks’ against Army
Bareilly (UP), February 21: The Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) here has taken action against three Kashmiri girls for allegedly...
5 held for assault on Kashmiri trader in West Bengal
Kolkata, Feb 21: Five persons have been arrested for assaulting a Kashmiri shawl trader in West Bengal’s Nadia district, police...
69 killed as massive fire breaks out in chemical warehouses in Bangladesh capital
Dhaka: At least 69 people were killed as a massive fire ripped through several buildings also used as chemical and...
SC to hear tomorrow plea for protection of Kashmiris from threats after Pulwama Attack
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has agreed to hear on Friday a PIL seeking a direction to authorities to protect...
We want Kashmir, But Not Kashmiris: Chidambaram points out the ‘Depressing Irony’
New Delhi: Some people want Kashmir to be part of India but don’t want Kashmiris to be part of Indians,...
Fresh snowfall, landslides shut Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall in the Banihal area and multiple landslides in the Ramsoo-Ramban sector blocked the Jammu-Srinagar highway, prompting halt...