Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Soldier hit with stone succumbs: Army

Srinagar, Oct 26: Army on Friday said a soldier hit by a stone in his head in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district yesterday evening succumbed at army base hospital in Srinagar.

An army spokesman said that Sepoy Rajendra Singh (22) was a part of the Quick Reaction Team which was providing security to a Border Roads Organisation (BRO) convoy on Thursday.

“At around 1800 hrs, when the convoy was passing through the Anantnag bypass tri-junction near NH-44, few youth hurled stones at the vehicle and Sep Rajendra Singh was injured after being hit by a stone directly on the head,” said the spokesman.

“He was provided immediate first aid and evacuated to 92 Base Hospital but unfortunately succumbed to the injury. Sep Rajendra Singh hailed from village Badena in Pithoragarh, Uttrakhand and had joined Army in 2016. He is survived by his parents,” said the spokesman.

Meanwhile, floral tributes were paid to Singh and two other army men killed in two separate gunfights in Kashmir valley.

According to a statement issued here, the army said that in a solemn ceremony at BB Cantt, Lt Gen AK Bhatt, GOC Chinar Corps and all ranks paid homage to the slain soldiers. Director General of Police Dilbag Singh and representatives from various security agencies also joined in paying their last respects to the soldiers.

Among the soldiers paid tributes to include Lance Naik Brajesh Kumar (32), who sustained splinter injuries during a fierce operation in Malgunipura (Sopore) on Friday during which two militants were also killed. Kumar had joined Army in 2004 and hailed from Village Nanawin in Una district of Himachal Pradesh, the statement said, adding, He is survived by his wife and a daughter.

Other soldier, Sepoy Ngamsiamliana was killed during a standoff attack on an Army Camp in Luragam village of Tral, Pulwama on October 25. Sep Ngamsiamliana (23), hailed from village Rengtekawn in Kolasib, Mizoram and had joined Army in 2013. He is survived by his parents.