London :German Chancellor Angela Merkel warns the United States against “destroying” the United Nations without having a replacement first.
Merkel made the remarks during a stump speech in Bavaria, where she celebrated multilateralism after a fiery speech by US President Donald Trump against it.
She denounced Trump for thinking “that multilateralism is not the answer to our problems,” describing the US chief executive as “one who only assumes that there can only be one winner in any given situation, who – unlike me – does not believe in win-win situations.”
Trump, therefore, “questions multilateral systems that go far beyond Europe, like the climate protection agreement, the functioning of the United Nations,” she added.
“The United Nations was founded on the ruins of the Second World War. And yes, it is not perfect. We’ve been wanting a reform of the Security Council, for many years. But ladies and gentleman, to destroy something without having built a replacement, that is highly dangerous as far as I am concerned, and can destroy our community of peace sooner than we think,” the German head of state asserted.
On Tuesday, Trump made a point of rejecting globalism and “protecting” American interests during his annual address to the United Nations General Assembly, which was greeted at points with the audience’s derision.
This is not the first time Merkel takes a swipe at Trump.
Back in May, she said Europe could no longer rely on the United States for protection.
The German chancellor says Europe must control its destiny and that it can no longer rely on the US for protection.She urged European Union member states to take the bloc’s destiny into their own hands.
India asks China to be sensitive to its concerns
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale held talks with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and discussed the progress in bilateral ties since the Wuhan summit last year and said both sides were implementing the decisions in a manner in which “we are sensitive to each other’s concerns”.
His meeting with Wang, who is also the State Councillor, a high-level post in the hierarchy of the ruling Communist Party of China, took place as both the countries grappled with a host of issues, including Beijing’s continued attempts block efforts list Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammed chief Masood Azhar as global terrorist by the United Nations.
In his opening remarks, Gokhale said it has been year since Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping met at the Chinese city of Wuhan where the two leaders reached many understandings.
He said both sides were making efforts to implement the understandings reached at the Wuhan meeting.
“As your excellency said we will work together with the Chinese side to deepen understanding to strengthen trust to implement the decisions that are taken by leaders and to do it in a manner in which we are sensitive to each other’s concerns,” he said.
He also referred to the “brisk” political exchanges since the Wuhan summit, including Wang’s visit to New Delhi to launch people to people mechanism and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is “looking forward to come to China this year”.
Gokhale, who arrived in Beijing on Sunday is also scheduled to hold detailed talks with Chinese vice foreign minister Kong Xuanyou on Monday.
In his opening remarks, Wang said China and India are two emerging market countries besides neighbours and “each other’s strategic partners.”
“In that sense, it is important for the two countries to work together to increase strategic communication, deepen mutual political trust and strengthen strategic cooperation on international and regional issues.
“Given that it is timely and important for you to have regular consultations with the Chinese side,” he said.
One of the issues that was expected to figure during this round talk was China’s continued attempts block efforts list JeM chief Azhar as global terrorist by the UN.
China blocked Azhar’s designation for the fourth-time recently stalling efforts by the United States, the United Kingdom, France move at the 1267 UN counter terrorism committee following the February Pulwama terrorist attack. It was the first technical hold put up by China post Wuhan summit.
Also, India continues to have strong reservations to join China’s mega Belt and Road Initiative due to its objections over the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor as it is being laid through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Both the issues have become major irritants in the bilateral ties.
In order to counter China’s technical hold in the 1267 committee, the US, the UK and France have taken the Azhar issue to the UN Security Council, which Beijing firmly opposed, saying that it should be resolved by the UN’s 1267 Sanctions Committee.
China also said the issue moved towards settlement and accused the US of attempting to scuttling its resolution.
Gokhale’s visit also coincides with China holding its biggest international event, the second Belt and Road Forum next week to showcase its BRI projects.
India, like the first BRF held in 2017, is reportedly not attending its second edition being held here from April 25-27.
Foreign Minister Wang said on Friday that differences over the BRI would not come in the way of the development of India-China relations and China is preparing for a Wuhan-style summit meeting this year.
He also said the CPEC is an economic project and has nothing to do with the sovereignty issues.
“One of our differences is how to look at the BRI. The Indian side has their concerns. We understand that and that is why we have stated clearly on many occasions that the BRI including the CPEC is only an economic initiative and it does not target any third country and has nothing to do with the sovereign and territorial disputes left from history between any two countries,” he said.
Interpol offers Lanka help to probe Easter blasts
Colombo: The Interpol on Monday said it is ready to offer full support to the Sri Lankan authorities in investigating the country’s deadliest terror attack that killed 290 people in a series of eight blasts that tore through churches and luxury hotels in the country.
Interpol Secretary General Jurgen Stock in a Twitter message said, “Interpol strongly condemns the horrific attacks and has offered its full support to the investigation being carried out by national authorities.” Paris-based Interpol is an organisation which facilitates worldwide police cooperation. Stock said Interpol can deploy an Incident Response Team at the request of a member country to provide on-site support during a crisis situation.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the victims,” he tweeted. Eight coordinated explosions targeted Easter worshippers and high end hotels popular with international guests.
The blasts targeted St Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St Sebastian’s Church in the western coastal town of Negombo and another church in the eastern town of Batticaloa as the Easter Sunday mass were in progress. Three explosions were reported from the five-star hotels – the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury.
According to the Government Analysts Department, a total of seven suicide bombers carried out the devastating blasts killed 290 people and injured 500 others.There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but police on Monday arrested 24 people and declined to give further details.
The blasts – the deadliest attacks in the country’s history shattered a decade of peace in the island nation since the end of the brutal civil war with the LTTE.
IS says it’s behind attack on security building in Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: The militant Islamic State (IS) group says it was behind an attack the previous day on a Saudi security building in the town of Zulfi in which all four gunmen were killed and three security officers were wounded.
The kingdom’s state-run al-Ekhbariya news channel had reported that police foiled Sunday’s attempted attack. Zulfi is about 250 kilometres north of the capital, Riyadh.
Videos circulating on social media show dead gunmen with machine guns and explosive devices.
The IS-linked Aamaq news agency released a video on Monday of the four alleged “martyrdom-seekers” behind the attack. It’s unclear when the footage was filmed.
In the video, one man criticises the Saudi royal family and says the attack is to avenge Muslims imprisoned in the kingdom, Syria and Iraq.