Srinagar, Feb 21: Chairman, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Muhammad Yasin Malik on Thursday disputed the government order of withdrawing his security, saying that he “never enjoyed protection from government”.
The Governor Satya Pal Malik led administration on Wednesday in a statement said it withdrew security of 18 separatists including Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Muhammad Yasin Malik in the backdrop of last week’s Pulwama attack.
To clear his position, JKLF chairman called a hurried press conference at party headquarters wherein Malik said that he denied government offers for security thrice so far.
“BJP General Secretary Ram Madhav tweeted that no security was provided to Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Yasin Malik after questioned by people.
Later, to my surprise an order came from same government in which I was listed among the names of pro-freeedom leaders, whose security was withdrawn,” he said.
“In 1996 Superintendent of Police CID wing offered me security, which I immediately denied. Later after Molvi Mushtaq and Molvi Showkat’s killing a letter came to me from ADGP CID and forced me for security, which I also denied willingly in response to the letter. In my 35 years of political life I was never seen using government security nor opted for that,” Malik added.
Terming notification as clear ‘dishonesty’, JKLF Chairman said the Centre has been frequently claiming that separatists were availing facilities of government.
“It is a hoax. I question Indian government, what facility they provided to pro-feedom leaders? How many times pro-freedom leaders survived murderous attempts. It is a lie, which is known to the world,” he said.
Malik said the government has been only imposing restriction on movement of separatists.“For last five years, pro-freedom leaders have had banned for all sorts of political activities. We can’t visit a village for funeral or any other parts of the state for speaking to people,” he said.
“The pro-freedom struggle is pious and sacred. It is like religious obligation for us and we are never scared of death,” Malik added.
On assaults on Kashmiri students by right-wing groups in various states of India, Malik said “such events were pushing youth towards armed struggle.”
“On seeing such videos, any Kashmir will get enraged. New regime in New Delhi wants to give an impression that the use of fear will make Kashmiri to surrender before them,” he said.
Describing rising militancy in the valley, fallout of “oppression against youth” by forces in 2008 and 2012, Malik said “such approaches by the Centre will make situation more complex for them”
“These young boys were a part of the peaceful struggle in 2008 and 2009, who were brutally tortured and beaten in the police station. These victimized youth of political struggle joined armed struggle without getting training from Pakistan,” he said.
“For the last five years, New Delhi took over all the public issues. Centre never provided space for political movement and people are just resisting it,” Malik added.