In a world where people are trying to do everything at a quick pace, weight loss seems to be one of the slowest procedures. From cutting down calorie intake to unusual levels to spending more hours in the gym, people try n number of techniques just to speed up weight loss. This also includes trying all sorts of teas and weight-loss-inducing supplements, but these are the not the healthy way to lose weight. With all this, quick weight loss seems like a myth. But what if we told you that there is one technique which promotes quick weight loss and that too, the healthy way?
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR QUICK WEIGHT LOSS
If you thought that those weights in the gym are just for bodybuilders, you are mistaken. Perhaps you could use them for shedding extra pounds faster. Yes, we agree that cardio workouts help you burn calories too, but including strength training in your routine will give your weight loss goals the boost it needs. So basically, if you are aiming at weight loss, strength training is your key.
HOW STRENGTH TRAINING PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS?
We agree that strength training does not give you that sweaty and heart-pounding feeling which zumba or cardio does, but it still is more effective than the rest. Strength training primarily works by burning calories when your body is at rest. It promotes lean muscle mass which is beneficial for you in the long run. It helps you get the perfect lean body you always dreamt of.
Aerobics and cardio VS Strength training
Aerobic exercises promote weight loss but they are not very effective in burning fat and promoting lean muscle mass. Likewise, losing weight through cardio is all about shedding fat and muscle mass. Neither of them promotes lean muscle mass. When these two workouts are not supported by strength training, they could slow down your metabolism instead of speeding it up.
Strength training promotes quick weight loss because it burns calories during the workout and it gives your metabolism an additional boost which helps it burn fat even when you are at rest. This way, you end up burning more calories than what you did while practicing cardio.
Worried if you will bulk up instead of losing weight?
Some people are under the impression that strength training will only increase weight by bulking up the body. But this is not true. You will not bulk up because of strength training unless you drink protein shakes and take steroids.
To conclude, we can say that strength training is a better, quicker and more fun way to lose weight. So quit running for miles to get the perfect figure. Instead, you must spend some more time in the gym with weights and practice strength training.
Multiple checks give right BP, says study
Repeated blood pressure (BP) measurements are more representative of the true BP status of an individual as compared to a single reading that is usually taken and can actually show higher disease prevalence, a new study has said.
Titled “Impact of Repeated Blood Pressure Measurement on Blood Pressure Categorisation in a Population-Based Study from India”, the study that appeared in Nature’s Journal of Human Hypertension on Friday found 63% higher prevalence of hypertension when only the first reading was considered for diagnosis in comparison to the mean of the second and third readings.
The information was analysed from BP readings taken to generate data for the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), a nationwide survey conducted in India in 2015-2016. Although the general consensus is that there should be multiple readings, there are no clear-cut guidelines on how many readings are good enough. Most doctors rely on a single reading primarily due to time constraints.
“Most people take one reading but, ideally, there should be at least three as usually the first reading is always on the higher side because when a patient walks in, he or she is usually a bit anxious. The later readings are likely to be lower,” said Dr D Prabhakaran, researcher from Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) and one of the authors of the study. “Since doctors are usually busy, the BP readings can be taken by a nurse,” he added.
The data was analysed for over three months, revised in March and accepted for publication on April 1. Researchers from the PHFI, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and the Economics and Planning Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, collaborated to analyse the data.
“Improper measurement of office BP can lead to inaccurate classification, overestimation of a patient’s true BP, unnecessary treatment, and misinterpretation of the true prevalence of hypertension,” the study said.
The researchers believe the findings will benefit both patients as well as the health care system.
Morning Rituals to Keep You Healthy
Most of us are required to wake up early in the morning to prepare foods for the kids, go to school or get ready for work. Our morning routine and rituals can help us optimize and determine how our day is going to be. A little change in our morning routine can do wonders for our health. Practicing these healthy morning rituals will surely improve your quality of life and improve overall health.
Morning Rituals to Try:
– Exercising for 7 minutes every morning. Why seven you ask? Seven minutes is enough to get your much needed pick me upper without sacrificing too much time in your morning routine. Exercising for seven minutes in the morning can remove the sluggish feeling you had the night before and can sweat off that mild hangover. If you can sacrifice more of your time or wake up earlier you can go for a longer workout.
– Never leave the house without eating. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason. Grab your nearest fruit and vegetable if you’re running late. Eating later in the day will only slow down your metabolism, make you lose concentration and cranky. Make your morning meal healthier by creating a green smoothie. Making this smoothie will take a less longer time to make and can keep you energized till the afternoon. You can look up some amazing green smoothies online.
– Write down what the three important things you need to accomplish that day. Keeping a clear schedule in the morning will prevent giving you unwanted stress and confusion through the day.
– Stretch as soon as you wake up. Do the good morning sunshine bit by stretching your arms wide as soon as you wake-up and shake your body awake. If your mind has managed to remove its grogginess do some proper stretches. Stretch your back muscles, spine, legs, neck and arms. This will lessen muscle pain, improve your mood and energize your body.
– Walk around your bed or house when you still feel sleepy. Lying in bed will only cause you to fall asleep again and ruin your morning routine. Walking is one of the best ways to shake off sleepiness.
– It should be a common morning ritual to drink two glasses of water as soon as you wake up. We spend 6 to 10 hours sleeping without any water, making our body dehydrated in the morning. Starting off your day with two glasses of water will hydrate the body and start up metabolism. Drinking water in the morning will also help you digest better throughout the day and increase circulation in the body.
– Wash your face with ice cold water, doing this will surely remove any desire to sleep again. Doing this in the morning will help circulation on the face and moisturize the skin. This will also remove puffiness and exhaustion on the face.
– Include protein and fat in your morning meal, eating fat and protein early in the morning will keep you fuller longer and boost energy. It will also prevent unwanted mid- afternoon crashes.
– Cold shower in the morning can help boost metabolism, increase oxygen intake, reduce stress, prevent muscle pain and less pressure in the joint areas. Cold water will also make the skin look more moisturize and can make the hair look silky smooth. Yes, I know showering in cold water in the morning is a form of torture, but the health benefits are surely worth it.
Add chokeberries in porridge to help boost health
While bananas and blueberries have been commonly used in porridge, a new study suggests that adding chokeberries, called ‘the healthiest fruit in the world’, can help boost health.
High in antioxidants, chokeberries — native to North America and also known as aronia berries – are not damaged when mixed with porridge unlike some other fruits, the Daily Mail reported.
“The results demonstrate that porridge enriched with chokeberry fruit have a potential for becoming a good source of natural antioxidants,” said lead author Anna Oniszczuk from the Medical University of Lublin in Poland.
For the study, the team made porridge with varying contents of chokeberry, with the highest one containing 20% fruit.
The findings, published in De Gruyter’s journal, revealed that the nutritional properties of the porridge did not degrade during the production process, despite the high temperatures used.
This makes it appealing because the antioxidant capacity of some fruits can be significantly diminished by heat or oxidation during processing.
In addition, increasing the chokeberry fruit content made the breakfast bowl higher in antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids and free phenolic acids, the study said.
“Due to the high levels of antioxidants in the berry and its resistance to high temperatures during processing, the research highlights how important the berry could be for the production of functional foods such as porridge,” Oniszczuk said.
Besides their high concentration of antioxidants, chokeberries are full of vitamins, such as vitamin C and flavonoids.
Chokeberries are also believed to have anti-ageing properties, good for the heart and can even work as an aphrodisiac.
VIDEO | Yasin Malik ill, on hunger strike since he was shifted to Delhi: Family
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik has been shifted to hospital following his hunger strike...
All laws in Kashmir should be at par with rest of India: Shiv Sena
New Delhi : Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray has said that all the laws in the State of Jammu and...
CJI refutes sexual harassment charges, says ‘judiciary under threat’
New Delhi: The Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi on Saturday said that sexual harassment allegations against him make independence...
26/11 response would have averted Pulwama: Modi
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Pulwama attack would not have happened if a strong reply was given after...
Wanted PM who can attack Pakistan: Uddhav Thackeray
Aurangabad: Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray said that his party went into an alliance with the BJP because he wanted...
Can’t be compared to Indira Gandhi but will serve India like her: Priyanka
Kanpur: Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi said that while she cannot be compared to her grandmother, late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi,...