Connect with us

Sports

Steyn set to quit ODIs after 2019 World Cup

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

JOHANNESBURG: South African fast bowler Dale Steyn is hoping to make a triumphant farewell to ODI cricket at the 2019 World Cup by delivering the trophy to the Proteas for the first time.
Steyn, who will turn 36 three days before South Africa’s World Cup opening match against England on May 30 next year, has spent most of the past three years struggling to overcome an assortment of injuries.
But he believes his experience could be valuable in England.
He is not part of South Africa’s squad for a three-match ODI series in Sri Lanka but aims to force his way back into contention during his country’s home season, which includes ODI series against Zimbabwe, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
“I will be trying to get to that World Cup,” the right-armer said at a promotional event in Mumbai, on the way home from a disappointing Test series in Sri Lanka. “But after the World Cup I don’t see myself playing white-ball cricket.”
Steyn, whose most recent injury happened in a Test against India in January, returned to the South African team for two Tests in Sri Lanka earlier this month.
But he was only able to take two wickets in two matches, leaving him tied with Shaun Pollock as South Africa’s all-time leading wicket-taker on 421 scalps.
“I played two Test matches without an injury, bowled at good pace and never went off the field because of niggles. It’s a big plus,” said Steyn who has not played in an ODI since October 2016.
Even if he retires from ODIs, Steyn said he wanted to carry on playing in Tests for as long as possible.
But in an article on the International Cricket Council website, Steyn is quoted as saying: “If you look at the [South African] batting line-up, our top six have played 1,000 games, but the lower half — from numbers eight to 11 who are currently playing — not even 150 games. You need to draw on experience.
“I hope that will be my trump card when the selection comes to the World Cup. I may not necessarily play all the time. But I think my experience will help with me just being there.”


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

Messi the best in history : Puyol

Agencies

Published

on

London: Barca defeated Manchester United comprehensively in the Champions League quarter-finals with Messi scoring twice in the second leg at Camp Nou. He is top scorer in the competition this season with 10 goals and also tops the scoring charts in La Liga, where Barca are virtually assured of a second consecutive title.

Puyol, the ex-Barca captain who won three Champions League titles, praises Messi as a true leader in Ernesto Valverde’s side.

“He is playing at an incredible level,” Puyol told Goal at the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour Presented by Heineken in Lagos, Nigeria.

 

“For me, he is the best ever player in the history of the game.

“He has shown that season after season and you can see how his game has evolved, all the things he now does. And you can see he’s improving every year with new attributes he has brought to his game.

“He has improved in every way and he is taking a step forward on a personal level. He has always been a leader on the field but now, you can see that he is a leader on and off the pitch.

“He is an introverted person but now you can see that he is leading from the front as the captain of Barcelona.”

Messi has scored an incredible 45 goals in 42 games in all competitions for Barca this season, and has added another 21 assists. They are nine points clear of Atletico Madrid in the league, with only 18 left to play for, and are now favourites to add another Champions League to their collection with a double header against Liverpool in the semi-finals to come.

“It’s been very good in the Champions League and also in all the other competitions,” said Puyol.

“They’re playing really good football and they have the chance of winning everything. Right now it’s great because the best is yet to come this season.

“Barcelona are one of the favourites for the Champions League because there are only four teams left.

Continue Reading

Sports

PCB decides not to allow cricketers to take their families along during the WC

Agencies

Published

on

Islamabad: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to not allow the national team’s players to bring their families along on the upcoming 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales starting on May 30.

The decision has been taken keeping in mind the pressure of the tournament, the board said while adding that the focus of the payers should be on their game during the World Cup.

The board, has mentioned that players’ families can travel to England on their own expense.

 

Additionally, the board clarified that the players could keep their families along with them during the series against England prior to the World Cup, a private news channel reported.

The cricket team will travel to England on April 23 to participate in the two and a half month long tour including the series against England and the World Cup.

Chief Selector Inzamamul Haq announced Pakistan’s 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup squad which left out experienced fast bowler Mohammad Amir.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pandya, KL Rahul fined Rs 20 lakh each by BCCI Ombudsman

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai: Indian cricketers Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul were on Saturday handed a fine of Rs 20 lakh each by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Ombudsman Justice (Retd) D K Jain for their sexist remarks in a television chat show “Koffee with Karan”.

The BCCI Ombudsman directed the duo to pay Rs 1,00,000 each to the families of 10 constables in para-military forces who have lost their lives while on duty through ‘Bharat Ke Veer App”.

Pandya and Rahul have also been directed to pay Rs 10 lakh each in the fund created by Cricket Association for the Blind (CAB) and for promotion of game for the blind.

 

All payments need to be made within a month from the date of the order, the BCCI Ombudsman further said.

Jain also instructed that in case the duo fails to deposit the fine within the deadline, the amounts would be deducted from Pandya and Rahul’s match fees by the BCCI.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court-appointed BCCI Ombudsman had summoned Pandya and Rahul for deposition over their controversial remarks on the celebrity chat show.

The two players were earlier in January provisionally suspended by the apex court-appointed Committee of Administrators (COA) for their loose talk on the show.

However, Pandya and Rahul tendered unconditional apologies and the ban on the duo was provisionally lifted pending an inquiry by the BCCI Ombudsman.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,006,732 other subscribers

Archives

April 2019
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
Advertisement