Connect with us

Sports

Mahrez Finally Gets His Dream Move To Manchester City

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

London :Algerian international Riyad Mahrez secured his move to Manchester City , with the Premier League champions paying a reported club-record 163;60 million Euros ($79.6 million) for the winger. It comes seven months after City refused to pay Leicester’s asking price of 163;80 million Euros, having offered 163;50 Euros million plus young winger Patrick Roberts, who was valued at 163;15 million Euros. This time though Leicester said they had sold him in a club-record deal. The 27-year-old, a pivotal figure when Leicester stormed to a shock Premier League title in 2016, signed a five-year contract.
“I am so pleased to have joined City, a side playing great football under Pep Guardiola,” Mahrez told the Manchester City website.
“Watching them from afar has been a pleasure.
“Pep is committed to playing attacking football, which is a perfect for me, and City’s performances last season were outstanding.”
Mahrez, who was so upset at not gaining his move to City at the beginning of the year he sat out two matches, said his new club were revolutionising the game in England.
“They’re redefining the English game and I wanted to be a part of it,” said Mahrez.
“I think we can be successful over the coming years and I believe my own game can develop under Pep’s management.”
City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain said Mahrez’s attacking qualities would add even more of a cutting edge to a side which already has an abundance of talent such as Kevin De Bruyne, Leroy Sane and Sergio Aguero.
“Riyad is a hugely talented player. He beats defenders and creates space,” said Begiristain.
“Over the past few years, he has established himself as one of the Premier League’s most exciting players.
“We’re sure he will bring additional attacking quality to our squad.”


Advertisement
Loading...

Sports

UEFA probe Ronaldo for ‘improper conduct’ over goal celebration

Agencies

Published

on

London : UEFA opened an investigation into Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal celebration after scoring a hat-trick in Juventus’ Champions League comeback win against Atletico Madrid last week.
European football’s governing body said Ronaldo was facing charges of “improper conduct” after he mimicked Diego Simeone’s crotch-grabbing gesture in last Tuesday’s 3-0 win that sent Juventus through 3-2 on aggregate.
After scoring the decisive penalty four minutes from time, Ronaldo turned towards the Atletico fans and replicated Simeone’s gesture after the Spaniards’ 2-0 first leg win by grasping his genitals and thrusting out his groin.
A decision will be taken by UEFA on March 21.
Juventus take on Dutch club Ajax in the Champions League quarter-finals over two legs, on April 10 in Amsterdam and April 16 in Turin.
Coach Massimiliano Allegri has said he is confident Ronaldo will not be fined or suspended.
“I think everyone celebrated their own way on the field and in the stands.
I saw nothing strange, just a celebration. There won’t be a ban,” said Allegri.
Simeone was fined 20,000 euros ($22,000) by UEFA for his gesture.
“He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character,” said the Argentinian coach.
Five-time Champions League winner Ronaldo is the record goal scorer in the European competition with 124 goals in 160 matches.

Continue Reading

Sports

Sachin echoes Virat Kohli’s workload views

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi: There cannot be a uniform structure for workload management during the Indian Premier League as each and every player will have different set of requirements, the legendary Sachin Tendulkar said .
There have been a lot of discussions about how the World Cup-bound players need to effectively manage their workload during a demanding tournament like the IPL, and the maestro has his own take on it.
“Preparation before the World Cup is different for each player and so their workload management will also be different,” Tendulkar said.
Tendulkar agreed with skipper Virat Kohli who recently said that it is up to the players to realise the kind of load they are taking as well as the form they are in. “To me, momentum is important. Every individual should be smart enough to assess if he needs to take a break or he needs to play games to stay in the thick of things. So the responsibility is on the individual to take a call,” said the world’s highest run-getter in Tests and One-day Internationals.
He then gave an example of how workload management will be different for different players. “As a pace bowler Jasprit Bumrah’s workload will be very different from a pure batsman like Virat Kohli and a wicket-keeper batsman like Mahendra Singh Dhoni. All these players have a lot of experience and they will certainly make the right call,” said Tendulkar, who is a mentor with IPL’s most popular franchise Mumbai Indians.
Tendulkar echoed what Kohli had said a couple of days earlier during a media interaction in Bengaluru. “If I’m able to play 10, 12 or 15 games, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the other guy can only play that many. My body might demand I play a certain number of games and I need to be smart about that and rest,” the Indian skipper had said.
“Someone else’s body might be more capable than mine or less, that is a very individual thing. And everyone wants to play the World Cup, so people will be smart about it because you don’t want to miss out on such a big event.”
Kohli had said that it is up to individual players to deal with the issue to keep their body fit and be in contention for a place in the World Cup-bound squad. “From a responsibility point of view, all the Indian players will have the responsibility during the IPL to keep a watch on their fitness and their workloads,” he said.
“And to continue the frame of mind we have created in the Indian team – strive towards excellence and improve every day. Each player will take this tournament as an opportunity to go to the World Cup in a good frame of mind,” he said.

Continue Reading

Sports

Kerala Blasters sign Rahul KP

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai : Kerala Blasters have wrapped up a deal to bring Indian Arrows forward Rahul Kannoly Praveen on board for the 2019-20 season, Goal has learnt.
The 19-year-old forward has become the fifth former India U-17 player to be roped in by Blasters after Dheeraj Singh, Mohammad Rakip, Nongdamba Naorem and Jeakson Singh.
Thrissur-born Rahul featured for Luis Norton de Matos’ Indian team in the U-17 World Cup held in India. He continued his development with AIFF’s Indian Arrows in the I-League and impressed in patches last season, scoring two goals in 17 appearances.
He has stepped up his game at Arrows this season under Floyd Pinto and contributed greatly to the team’s eighth-placed finish under the Indian head coach. He has three goals to his name this season.
Blessed with pace and dazzling feet, Rahul is good at taking on his opponent from wide areas and also has an eye for a pass. He was impressive against Gokulam Kerala and scored a terrific volley in the I-League match at Kozhikode earlier this season. He also featured in the Super Cup qualifier against Kerala Blasters as Indian Arrows won 2-0.
In what seems like a much-needed move after a disapponting season in the ISL, Kerala Blasters, under the new leadership of CEO Viren D’Silva, are off to a good start off the field and have added a promising local talent to the squad.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News8 hours ago

State elections deferred as JK sought 70,000 troops for simultaneous polls: Officials

New Delhi, Mar 20 The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly elections were deferred as the state administration asked for over 70,000...

Latest News8 hours ago

Funding case: Delhi court allows ED to quiz Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s son-in-law

New Delhi, Mar 20: A Delhi court Wednesday allowed ED to quiz Altaf Shah, son-in-law of separatist leader Syed Ali...

Latest News8 hours ago

Nirav Modi arrested in London, to be produced in court

Fugitive diamond merchant Nirav Modi, who is accused of cheating the Punjab National Bank (PNB) of over Rs 13,000, has...

Latest News9 hours ago

Congress-National Conference seal alliance in J&K for Lok Sabha polls

Congress and National Conference have sealed alliance in Jammu and Kashmir for the upcoming Lok Sabha Elections. National Conference president...

Latest News10 hours ago

India loses hosting rights of Davis Cup, Fed Cup due to closure of Pak air space

The closure of Pakistan’s air space in the aftermath of the Balakot air strikes has resulted in India losing the...

Latest News10 hours ago

Pakistan cancels annual maritime dialogue with New Delhi

New Delhi: In the backdrop of rising tension between India and Pakistan after the Pulwama attack, Pakistan on Wednesday cancelled...

Latest News11 hours ago

Mayawati won’t contest 2019 Lok Sabha polls

Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati will not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha polls. “Our coaliation is doing good…I can...

Latest News11 hours ago

Traffic on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway suspended due to inclement weather

JAMMU: The traffic on the strategic Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was suspended Wednesday as the high altitude areas of Jammu and...

Latest News11 hours ago

‘Azaan’ to be broadcast nationally in solidarity with Muslims: NZ PM

Christchurch: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Wednesday said Azaan (the call to prayer) will be broadcast nationally along...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,000,281 other subscribers

Archives

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Advertisement