Srinagar: Seeking Governor Satya Pal Malik’s intervention, a family from Khag on Monday alleged that they lost their seven-year-old girl child due to doctors’ negligence at SKIMS Bemina.
“On January 22, my sister, Ulfat Jan complained of knee pain after which we took her to Khag hospital for examination. On the directions of doctor, we got the X-ray of her knee done. Seeing the X-ray, doctor, prescribed a medicine, which we used as per instructions,” recalled, Imtiyaz Ahmed, brother of the deceased.
“My sister was in continuous pain. We consulted doctors at the hospital again, but they suggested the same treatment. Seeing no improvement in her condition, we decided to take her to JVC Bemina on 24 January,” Ahmad added.
“Initially, the doctors SKIMS Bemina couldn’t ascertain the cause of her pain. They advised some tests, which we did. Then they injected some drugs and glucose in her body,” he said.
“However, it worsened her condition, after which she was rushed ICU,” he said.
Meanwhile, Imtiyaz was told to call her father immediately, which he did.
“My father arrived within no time. The doctors advised for a surgery and we gave them consent to go ahead with it as we thought that they are the experts and are sure what needs to be done to relieve my sister from her knee pain.
“Surgery was performed. She was regaining her conscious. Medicine was being administered to her through her nose. But then what went wrong is a mystery for all of us as she died soon after on the hospital bed. We believe she could not tolerate the medicine that they gave her,” recollected the brother with tears rolling down his cheeks.
Not taking any blame for the incident, Principal, SKIMS Bemina, Dr Riyaz Untoo said that Ulfat Jan was attended properly.
“She reported to hospital with Septicemia. She was critical and had knee and joint infection, besides pneumonia. She had a full blown picture of Septicemia. Prognosis was explained, benefits of abscess drainage in a high risk patient were discussed with the family,” he said.
“Consent was taken on that. They were told that there is a risk to her life because of Septicemia. Management of abscess was necessary. We had to keep the wound open so that the puss drains out and infection goes down,” he added.
“So no their wasn’t any negligence from our part,” said the principal