London :Shares in Juventus FC jumped almost 10 percent on the back of reports that Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo might soon join the Italian club.
For a second day running, Juventus, Italy’s most successful soccer team, declined to comment on the reports.
, Juventus shares were trading 9 percent higher at 0.81 euros. Over the last three days, shares in the club have surged more than 20 percent in heavy trading volumes, as speculation over a Ronaldo transfer mounted.
Juventus won a seventh successive Serie A title in May, bringing their overall tally to a record 34 titles.
“It would be a big deal, increasing the team’s appeal and also because it would bigger business for Juve, through merchandising,” a Milan-based trader said.
Ronaldo, who joined Real from Manchester United in 2008 for a then world record 80 million pounds ($105.9 million), is the Spanish club’s all-time top scorer with 451 goals in all competitions and has won two La Liga titles and four Champions League trophies with them.
Despite the glut of silverware, however, the five-times world player of the year has had frequent fallouts with Real and has declared on several occasions that he wants to leave the club.
Moments after lifting a third consecutive Champions League trophy by helping Real beat Liverpool 3-1 in the final on May 26, Ronaldo appeared to suggest he had already decided to leave, telling a television reporter on the pitch at Kiev’s NSC Olympic Stadium: “It was beautiful to play for Real Madrid.”
The 33-year-old appeared to backtrack on that statement during Real’s celebration parade through the Spanish capital the next day, when he told a mass of supporters: “See you next season.”
Real have not issued any statement on their website about Ronaldo, although in the past days they have issued statements denying reports they have made transfer bids for Paris St Germain forwards Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.
No cricketer has served India like Dhoni: Kapil
New Delhi: Former India all-rounder Kapil Dev believes twin World Cup-winning captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the biggest contributor to the gentlemans game. Coming from the man who himself lifted the 1983 World Cup in England, this is no mean appreciation.
As Dhoni walks into the last stretch of his international career, there has been quite a few statements made by former cricketers and pundits, especially after the most decorated captain hit a lean patch in 2018.
For Kapil, however, it is all about respecting what Dhoni has achieved on the field. Speaking to IANS, Kapil said: “I don’t have to say anything about Dhoni. I think he has served the country very well and we must respect him.”
It’s almost certain that the showpiece event in England and Wales that kicks off on May 30, will be Dhoni’s last and Kapil wants the former India skipper to finish on a high lifting another WC trophy.
“No one knows how long he wants to play and how long his body can continue to take the workload. But, there is no other cricketer who has served the country so well as Dhoni. We should respect him and wish him good luck. I hope that he wins this World Cup too,” he said.
The only player in the history of the game to have taken more than 400 wickets and scored over 5,000 runs in Tests, Kapil has come out with a coffee book titled “We The Sikhs” and while his impeccable record is there for all to see, the former cricketer feels it will not be easy for Virat Kohli and his men.
“This Indian team looks very good. However, it won’t be very easy. They have to play like a team. I hope that they will have no injuries,” he said, adding: “If they have a stroke of luck, they will definitely win.”
Interestingly, the Indian selectors decided to pick Dinesh Karthik, 33, as the second wicketkeeper over the young and rising star Rishabh Pant for the showpiece event.
Commenting on the move, Kapil said: “The selectors have done their job. Let’s respect the team. They have picked Karthik over Pant, then it’s alright. We should just believe that the selectors have done a good job.”
Pakistan is ready for the WC: Arthur
Islamabad: Pakistan’s cricket coach Micky Arthur believes that Pakistan is ready to take on the challenges of the upcoming World Cup.
Speaking to the media at Gaddafi Stadium Lahore , Arthur said: “We have worked really hard over the past two years. We are as prepared as we can be.”
“We have to bring all our capabilities to produce results in our favour,” Arthur said while showing confidence in the squad picked for the upcoming world series.
Speaking about Shadab being ruled out of the upcoming series against England, Arthur said: “Shadab Khan is a wonderful cricketer. As the buzz word nowadays goes, he’s ‘three-dimensional’. He plays a key role for us just outside the power play. However, we have tried to cover with another wrist spinner Yasir Shah.”
Arthur termed bringing in Yasir for Shahdab as an even exchange. “Yasir is under no illusion that he has to challenge both the outside and inside edge of the bat,” Arthur said, pointing out that the spinner has a hard act ahead.
“Our expectations are high from Babar Azam as he’s our best batsman in squad. He is so talented, he is a batsman who get the required scores,” Arthur said while adding that as long as Babar acts as he main batsman in the team, everyone around him will be able to bring the score up to the 300 mark and above.
“Mohammad Hafeez will be available for us during the World Cup as an off spinner too. We have faith in our team. All 15 of those players have the ability to win games,” the coach said.
“Our strategy will be to attack, we’re going to eye wickets. We have got all the bases covered,” the coach concluded.
Captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, who was also present at the press conference, said that the team was ready to give their best during the World Cup.
“We are heading to England with complete preparations and wish to win. Our players are ready to give it their best shot,” said the captain.
When asked about who would open for the team, Sarfaraz said that Fakhar Zaman and Imamul Haq will be the best choices for opening partnership.The captain also shrugged off the suggestion that there may be some difficulty for the team since both the batsmen are left-handed.
“Both Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul-Haq are in good form,” he said and added that new addition Abid Ali will be a good choice for the number three spot.
East Bengal extends Samad’s contract for 3 years
Kolkata: East Bengal handed full back Samad Ali Mallik a three-year contract extension, the club said in a statement.
“Samad is confident that under coach Alejandro, his game will grow from strength to strength and he will be an asset to the team in the seasons to come. Samad has thanked the supporters for their overwhelming support and is certain that he will perform at his best with their backing,” the statement read.
East Bengal narrowly missed the I-League title this season, finishing runner-up behind Chennai City FC.
NIA summons Geelani’s grandson
Srinagar, Apr 24 : After summoning his two sons, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has now summoned Hurriyat (G) chairman...
Five held in separate cases of cattle smuggling in Jammu, 62 animals rescued
Jammu, Apr 24 Five persons were arrested on the charges of bovine smuggling and as many as 62 cattle rescued...
‘Cannot stop Sadhvi Pragya Thakur from contesting polls, let EC decide’: NIA court
New Delhi Malegaon blasts accused and BJP candidate Sadhvi Pragya Thakur is contesting the elections from Bhopal Lok Sabha seat....
VIDEO| LoC trade ban, Malik’s arrest: Mehbooba leads protest in Pulwama
Srinagar: PDP President Mehbooba Mufti Wednesday lead a protest march in Pulwama demanding immediate release of JKLF chief Yasin Malik...
Delhi court sends Malik to judicial custody till May 24
A Delhi court Wednesday sent JKLF chief Yasin Malik, arrested in a case related to the funding of separatists and...
BSF vehicle damaged, troops including an officer on board it escaped unhurt in Pattan
Srinagar, April 24: A vehicle of Border Security Force (BSF) was damaged partially in a road accident at Rjnji area...
10 JK militants based in Pak involved in LoC trade: Officials
New Delhi: At least 10 militants, who had crossed over to Pakistan, set up businesses across the border with the...
Sri Lankan government considering burqa ban
Colombo: In the aftermath of the worst terror attack in Sri Lanka, whose responsibility has been taken by the Islamic...
SC Summons chiefs of CBI, IB, Delhi Police after lawyer submits ‘proof’ of conspiracy against CJI Gogoi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday summoned the chiefs of the Central Bureau of Investigation, Intelligence Bureau and the...
Death toll from Sri Lanka bombing attacks rises to 359
Colombo, April 24: The death toll in Sri Lanka’s Easter Sunday bomb attacks has risen to 359, the police said...
Supply of contaminated IV fluids: Div Com orders magisterial probe, vows strict action against culprits
Srinagar, April 24: Divisional administration Kashmir has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the supply of contaminated IV Fluids and injections...
Tired of listening to PM Modi beat his own trumpet on Pakistan: Chidambaram
Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram on Wednesday said he was tired of listening to Prime Minister Narendra Modi “beat his own...