Connect with us

Sports

Australia defeat India in second Test

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Perth: India crumbled in the face of Australia’s remarkable metamorphosis and crashed to a 146-run defeat in the second Test here on Tuesday, surrendering a rare hard-earned ascendancy in a series Down Under.

The hosts levelled the four-match series 1-1 after India were bowled out for 140 runs in 56 overs in their second innings on the fifth and final day. India had won the opening game by 31 runs to go in front.

Starting from overnight 112 for five, India lost their last five wickets for 28 runs and it was all over within 65 minutes of play.

 

This was Australia’s first Test win since the ball-tampering scandal broke out in South Africa earlier this year.

Mitchell Starc (3-46) and Nathan Lyon (3-39) finished with three wickets apiece, while Josh Hazlewood (2-24) and Pat Cummins (2-25) took a brace each.

Hanuma Vihari (28) and Rishabh Pant (30) had continued their overnight partnership, and batted out only six overs before the first wicket fell on this day. Overall, they added 21 runs for the sixth wicket.

Vihari was the first to go, lobbing a catch off Starc to short point. Pant then tried to play a few more attacking strokes, but he didn’t comprehend the situation well and was confused whether to farm the strike at all.

In doing so, he attacked Lyon and holed out to mid on, with Peter Handscomb taking a low diving catch.

It hastened the end for India, with Umesh Yadav (2) returning a simple catch to Starc.

Ishant Sharma (0) was caught behind off Cummins, and Jasprit Bumrah (0) hit a skier for another return catch to the pacer as Australia sealed their first Test win since Durban before the ball-tampering scandal hit the headlines.

Australia had scored 326 runs in their first innings, and India replied with 283 runs, thanks to Virat Kohli’s 25th Test hundred, thus conceding a lead of 43 runs. The hosts scored 243 runs in their second innings to post a 287-run target.

India had won the first Test in Adelaide by 31 runs. The third Test starts in Melbourne on December 26.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

Messi the best in history : Puyol

Agencies

Published

on

London: Barca defeated Manchester United comprehensively in the Champions League quarter-finals with Messi scoring twice in the second leg at Camp Nou. He is top scorer in the competition this season with 10 goals and also tops the scoring charts in La Liga, where Barca are virtually assured of a second consecutive title.

Puyol, the ex-Barca captain who won three Champions League titles, praises Messi as a true leader in Ernesto Valverde’s side.

“He is playing at an incredible level,” Puyol told Goal at the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour Presented by Heineken in Lagos, Nigeria.

 

“For me, he is the best ever player in the history of the game.

“He has shown that season after season and you can see how his game has evolved, all the things he now does. And you can see he’s improving every year with new attributes he has brought to his game.

“He has improved in every way and he is taking a step forward on a personal level. He has always been a leader on the field but now, you can see that he is a leader on and off the pitch.

“He is an introverted person but now you can see that he is leading from the front as the captain of Barcelona.”

Messi has scored an incredible 45 goals in 42 games in all competitions for Barca this season, and has added another 21 assists. They are nine points clear of Atletico Madrid in the league, with only 18 left to play for, and are now favourites to add another Champions League to their collection with a double header against Liverpool in the semi-finals to come.

“It’s been very good in the Champions League and also in all the other competitions,” said Puyol.

“They’re playing really good football and they have the chance of winning everything. Right now it’s great because the best is yet to come this season.

“Barcelona are one of the favourites for the Champions League because there are only four teams left.

Continue Reading

Sports

PCB decides not to allow cricketers to take their families along during the WC

Agencies

Published

on

Islamabad: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to not allow the national team’s players to bring their families along on the upcoming 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales starting on May 30.

The decision has been taken keeping in mind the pressure of the tournament, the board said while adding that the focus of the payers should be on their game during the World Cup.

The board, has mentioned that players’ families can travel to England on their own expense.

 

Additionally, the board clarified that the players could keep their families along with them during the series against England prior to the World Cup, a private news channel reported.

The cricket team will travel to England on April 23 to participate in the two and a half month long tour including the series against England and the World Cup.

Chief Selector Inzamamul Haq announced Pakistan’s 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup squad which left out experienced fast bowler Mohammad Amir.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pandya, KL Rahul fined Rs 20 lakh each by BCCI Ombudsman

Agencies

Published

on

Mumbai: Indian cricketers Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul were on Saturday handed a fine of Rs 20 lakh each by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Ombudsman Justice (Retd) D K Jain for their sexist remarks in a television chat show “Koffee with Karan”.

The BCCI Ombudsman directed the duo to pay Rs 1,00,000 each to the families of 10 constables in para-military forces who have lost their lives while on duty through ‘Bharat Ke Veer App”.

Pandya and Rahul have also been directed to pay Rs 10 lakh each in the fund created by Cricket Association for the Blind (CAB) and for promotion of game for the blind.

 

All payments need to be made within a month from the date of the order, the BCCI Ombudsman further said.

Jain also instructed that in case the duo fails to deposit the fine within the deadline, the amounts would be deducted from Pandya and Rahul’s match fees by the BCCI.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court-appointed BCCI Ombudsman had summoned Pandya and Rahul for deposition over their controversial remarks on the celebrity chat show.

The two players were earlier in January provisionally suspended by the apex court-appointed Committee of Administrators (COA) for their loose talk on the show.

However, Pandya and Rahul tendered unconditional apologies and the ban on the duo was provisionally lifted pending an inquiry by the BCCI Ombudsman.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News1 hour ago

Joint Hurriyat calls for valley wide shutdown tomorrow

Srinagar:  Joint Hurriyat leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Muhammad Umar Farooq and Jammu Kashmir liberation Front (JKLF)...

Latest News2 hours ago

Body of student found under mysterious condition in Srinagar

SRINAGAR :The body of a student was recovered under mysterious conditions from Astanpora area of Rawalpora in Srinagar on Sunday...

Latest News2 hours ago

Sri Lanka identifies ‘National Tawheed Jamath’ as outfit behind blasts

Colombo: A local outfit identified as the National Tawheed Jamath is suspected of plotting the deadly Easter blasts that killed...

Latest News2 hours ago

Yasin Malik’s health improving, likely to be shifted from hospital to Tihar today

Judicial remand ordered, to appear before Magistrate on Apr 24

Latest News3 hours ago

VIDEO: Traders protest in Srinagar against suspension of cross-LoC trade

Traders affected by the suspension of cross-LoC trade by the Centre held a protest march here in the summer capital...

Latest News3 hours ago

Highway ban plea: SC gives two weeks time to GoI, JK Govt to respond

Srinagar, April 22: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to both Central and Jammu and Kashmir governments, asking them...

Latest News6 hours ago

US to sanction India, four other nations for importing Iranian oil

Washington, April 22: The Trump administration is poised to tell five nations, including allies Japan, South Korea and Turkey, that...

Latest News6 hours ago

Sri Lanka attacks death toll rises to 290, about 500 wounded: Police

Colombo, April 22: The death toll from attacks on churches and luxury hotels across Sri Lanka rose significantly to 290,...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 965,719 other subscribers

Archives

April 2019
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
Advertisement