Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt has been offered a professional contract by Australian A-League outfit the Central Coast Mariners but a deal is unlikely without an external third party financial contribution, the club said on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old Jamaican, a passionate football fan, has been on trial at the club since August as he attempts to make an audacious switch to a second professional sport after one of the most decorated careers in athletics.
“The club can confirm that a contract proposal has been offered by the Central Coast Mariners and negotiations remain ongoing with Usain Bolt and his management regarding his football future,” the Mariners said in a statement.
“The Central Coast Mariners want to ensure that Usain Bolt is given every chance possible to fulfil his dream to become a professional football player.”
Despite two goals in one pre-season friendly, Bolt’s performances for the Mariners have not been overly impressive and manager Mike Mulvey suggested at the weekend that the Jamaican would not on current form be worth a place in his side.
The club said Bolt had made “great progression” in his time at the Gosford-based club and they were looking at ways to give him “more individual intensive training and competitive game time” but that it would have to be away from the A-League.
The club statement said the other main discussion point in negotiations was around commercial matters.
Football Federation Australia (FFA) has made it clear that the “marquee” money that has in the past helped Australian clubs lure the likes of Italian forward Alessandro Del Piero to the A-League would not be available to sign Bolt.
Home crowds for the Mariners last season averaged just over 7,000 but the club said that while they would need third party help to fund a deal, media reports that it could be worth as little as A$150,000 ($106,185) a season were “inaccurate”.
“Usain Bolt’s management and the Central Coast Mariners are in conversations with external partners to find a commercial solution that suits all parties,” read the statement.
“Without the financial contribution of an external third-party, it is unlikely that Usain Bolt and the Central Coast Mariners will agree to terms.”
According to Forbes, eight-times Olympic gold medallist Bolt was earning upwards of $20 million a year mostly from endorsements before his retirement from athletics in 2017.
Last week, he turned down an offer of a two-year contract from Maltese outfit Valletta FC and his representatives have made it clear that he is the subject of interest from other European clubs.
Bolt will not train with the Mariners until a deal is finalised, the statement added.
Pakistan announce 15-man squad for World Cup, no place for Amir
LAHORE, Pakistan: Pakistan on Thursday announced their Squad for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
Pakistan Squad ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 include:
- Fakhar Zaman
- Imam Ul Haq
- Abid Ali
- Babar Azam
- Shoaib Malik
- Mohammad Hafeez
- Haris Sohail
- Sarfaraz Ahmed (Captain & Wicket Keeper)
- Shadab Khan
- Imad Wasim
- Hassan Ali
- Faheem Ashraf
- Junaid Khan
- Shaheen Shah Afridi
- Mohammad Hasnain
The Chief Selector Inzamam Ul Haq also announced Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif for the five-match Series against England.
The 10-nation ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 will be held in England from May 30 to July 14.
However prior to that, Pakistan would play one T20 International (T20I) at Cardiff on May 5 and five One Day Internationals (ODIs) against England.
The first match of five-match ODI Series between Pakistan and England will take place at London on May 8, second at Southampton on May 11, third at Bristol on May 14, fourth at Nottingham on May 17, and fifth at Leeds on May 19.
In the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, Pakistan will play their matches as following schedules;
- On May 24 against Afghanistan at Bristol
- On May 26 against Bangladesh at Cardiff
World Cup Matches:
- On May 31 against West Indies at Nottingham
- On June 3 against England at Nottingham
- On June 7 against Sri Lanka at Bristol
- On June 12 against Australia at Taunton
- On June 16 against India at Manchester
- On June 23 against South Africa at London
- On June 26 against New Zealand at Birmingham
- On June 29 against Afghanistan at Leeds
- On July 5 against Bangladesh at London
Finch expects ‘no issues’ with Smith, Warner’s return
London: Australian skipper Aaron Finch has welcomed the return of Steve Smith and David Warner into the national squad, saying that the duo’s comeback would not be of any issues to the team.
Former skipper Smith and vice-captain Warner are all set to make a return to the international arena after being named in the 15-member Australian squad for the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup, which is slated to take place in England and Wales from May 30 to July 14.
Smith and Warner are currently playing for Rajasthan and Hyderabad respectively in the Indian Premier League (IPL) after serving their one-year bans for their role in the ball-tampering scandal that took place in South Africa in March 2018.
Reflecting on their return, Finch said that the pair had done everything they were asked for in the last couple of months and, therefore, there would be no problem with Smith and Warner coming into the side.
“As far as I’m concerned, they’ve done everything they’ve been asked in this last 12 months. They were very good around the group and continuing to do everything they can, that’s in the best interests of the side, and that’s a real key,” the ICC quoted Finch as saying.
“Knowing them both personally as well as I do, I don’t think that will be any kind of issue whatsoever. They’re both great guys and I can’t see there being any kinds of issues,” he added.
Echoing similar views, chief selector Trevor Hohns said that the duo’s reintegration into the team would be seamless.
“I’m quite comfortable and quite confident that they know what is expected and they know the environment they are stepping into, which is quite different to when they left,” he said.
Hohns further expressed confidence that Smith and Warner would cope well with the potential backlashing from English crowds.
“Probably going to England there will certainly be a little bit of aggro.I’m sure everyone expects that, particularly the two players themselves. The team will come in for a bit of heckling I would say,” he said.
Australia will kickstart their campaign at the 2019 ICC World Cup against Afghanistan on June 1.
Ajax eliminate Ronaldo’s Juventus with scintillating display
TURIN: Ajax Amsterdam followed up their elimination of Real Madrid by producing a spell-binding display of inventive, passing football to win 2-1 away to Juventusand end the Serie A team`s dreams of winning the Champions League.
Ajax`s 19-year-old captain Matthijs de Ligt headed the winner from the corner in the 67th minute of the quarter-final second leg as the Dutch side came from behind to clinch a 3-2 aggregate win and reach the last four for the first time since 1996/97.
Cristiano Ronaldo, aiming for a fourth successive Champions League title after winning the last three with Real Madrid, put Juventus ahead in the 28th minute with a typically emphatic header, his sixth goal of the competition.
But Donny van de Beek levelled six minutes later before the visitors swept Juventus aside in the second half with wave after wave of attacks as they earned a semi-final against Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur.
“Can we can go on to win the competition? Well, we are in the semi-finals now. And we have eliminated two of the favourites in the last two rounds. The next games will be very difficult, but so were these ones. So who knows?,” said De Ligt.
Frenkie de Jong added: “We dominated after the break and were well worth our victory. In fact, we probably should have won by more.”
Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana gave his team an early scare when his clearance was charged down by Emre Can but the rebound flew wide.
Ajax settled well after that but, despite not playing well, Juventus went ahead when Ronaldo got away from the defenders to score the 126th Champions League goal of his career.
There was a long delay for the VAR review, the referee eventually going to the pitchside monitor with the ball back on the centre circle ready for the re-start, before the goal was confirmed.
Ajax kept their cool and took six minutes to level, helped by a somewhat lucky break.
Hakim Ziyech`s long-range shot hit a defender and fell perfectly for Van de Beek who, unmarked and onside, slotted the ball calmly past Wojciech Szczesny, and then had to wait for another long VAR check before the goal was confirmed.
Ajax took complete control in the second half and their geometric passing repeatedly opened up the Juventus defence, which sorely missed injured veteran Giorgio Chiellini.
Szczesny made one-handed save from Ziyech after Juventus were opened up again and then turned Van de Beek
s curling shot over for a corner. Juventus were rocking but, ironically, Ajaxs winner came from an old-fashioned header as De Ligt outjumped two defenders to score.
Ajax had chances for further goals and Ronaldo`s frustration boiled over in stoppage time when he was booked for a lunging tackle from behind near the centre circle.
Vote Modi back to power if you want to destroy Muslims: BJP leader
Mumbai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ranjeet Bahadur Srivastava has asked the voters to cast votes in favour of...
Modi wants to destroy Vajpayee’s policy on Kashmir: Mehbooba
Srinagar: PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti Friday warned that closure of routes will have dire consequences and claimed Narendra Modi wants...
Shooting stones disrupt highway on 2nd consecutive day
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu highway remained closed for the second consecutive today due to shooting stones at various places at the...
Salah calls for change in treatment of women in Muslim world
Los Angeles: Egyptian football star Mohamed “Mo” Salah has called for change in the way women are treated in the...
Students seek NEET centres in Kashmir
Srinagar, April 18: Local candidates who are to appear in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) demanded that their centres...
China gears up for next summit with India despite India’s boycott of BRF
Beijing, April 19: China said on Friday that it was bracing to hold a Wuhan-style next summit with India this...
Stay away from Indian elections, we don’t need your advice: Ram Madhav on Imran Khan
New Delhi: Backing Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s theory that Congress might be plotting with Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, BJP...
Mental illness of death row convicts ground to spare them from gallows: SC
New Delhi :In a historic verdict, the Supreme Court has given a ray of hope to people on death row...