Connect with us

News

102 bunkers constructed in Rajouri

Avatar

Published

🕒

on

IST

Rajouri, Apr 08: District Administration, Rajouri, has completed a pilot project for construction of 100 family-type bunkers along the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan for safety of people in wake of border skirmishes.

The Deputy Commissioner, Rajouri, Dr. Shahid Iqbal Choudhary Sunday said that more than 4500 people migrated to relief camps established by authorities in Nowshera town in May 2017 due to heavy shelling and widespread damages due to border firing which left more than 170 houses damaged and 8 civilians killed.

He said the district administration started a pilot project to construct 100 family-type bunkers for safety of civilians in September 2017.

 

He said community type bunkers were later started near schools and police posts.

The Deputy Commissioner said that these bunkers were started with an innovative model of convergence with MGNREGA and community participation in execution of projects.

He said that the project cost for one unit was pegged at Rs 2.40 Lakh out of which Rs 90,000 was dovetailed from MGNREGA while Rs 1.50 Lakh was provided under Capex budget.

The Chief Secretary J&K frequently reviewed the progress and extended prompt financial support to the project after his visit to Nowshera later last year, said the Deputy Commissioner.

Dr Shahid Iqbal informed that a total of 102 family type bunkers have been completed in various villages along the Line of Control. “It was mammoth task completed in a very short span of time with active cooperation of public” said the Deputy Commissioner, and added that the project was designed as community driven for asset-ownership. He said every family contributed its share in addition to the project cost. He said the bunkers have also been provided one toilet unit under the Swachh Bharat Mission.

The Deputy Commissioner said that each bunker has a capacity to accommodate 10 person for long-term while 12 to 16 persons for short term shelter in wake of border skirmishes.

He said that the project will help to accommodate more than 1000 to1200 persons during emergent situation. The technical design of the bunker withstands the kind of weaponry frequently used in such ceasefire violations, Deputy Commissioner said.

Dr. Shahid said that the LoC runs through 120 KM long stretch in the district across 72 villages in 6 tehsils while nearly 22 villages are worst hit. He said that the district administration have further endeavoured to construct bunkers in Manjakote, Panjgrain, Doongi where recently ceasefire violations were reported.

The Deputy Commissioner said that these bunkers have been constructed in several villages of Nowshera sub-division which include Jhangar, Kalsian, Danaka, Sarya, Laroka, Sair, Makdi, Namb and Kadali. He said project has been executed through the Engineering wing of Rural Development Department with BDO Surinder Singh as Nodal Officer. He said a widespread outreach programme was conducted last year for effective community participation which showed successful result in planning and implementation of the project.

Dr. Shahid said that in view of the success of the pilot project more such bunkers to be constructed as per sanction of MHA guidelines which will provide greater safety for the border inhabitants. He said this will include more than 5000 family-type bunkers and 370 community bunkers. He said the people of border villages celebrated the completion of project meanwhile based on such demand from Manjakote and Doongi the second phase of project is being started for covering all families.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

News

Post-Pulwama escalation: India, Pak had threatened to fire missiles at each other: Report

Agencies

Published

on

New Delhi, Mar 17: The sparring between India and Pakistan last month threatened to spiral out of control and only interventions by U.S. officials, including National Security Advisor John Bolton, headed off a bigger conflict, international news agency Reuters quoting five sources familiar with the events reported on Sunday.
At one stage, India threatened to fire at least six missiles at Pakistan, and Islamabad said it would respond with its own missile strikes “three times over”, according to Western diplomats and government sources in New Delhi, Islamabad and Washington.
The way in which tensions suddenly worsened and threatened to trigger a war between the nuclear-armed nations shows how the Kashmir region, which both claim and is at the core of their enmity, remains one of the world’s most dangerous flashpoints.
The exchanges did not get beyond threats, and there was no suggestion that the missiles involved were anything more than conventional weapons, but they created consternation in official circles in Washington, Beijing and London.
Reuters has pieced together the events that led to the most serious military crisis in South Asia since 2008, as well as the concerted diplomatic efforts to get both sides to back down.
The simmering dispute erupted into conflict late last month when Indian and Pakistani warplanes engaged in a dogfight over Kashmir on Feb 27, a day after a raid by Indian jet fighters on what it said was a militant camp in Pakistan. Islamabad denied any militant camp exists in the area and said the Indian bombs exploded on an empty hillside.
In their first such clash since the last war between the two nations in 1971, Pakistan downed an Indian plane and captured its pilot after he ejected in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir.
Hours later, videos of the bloodied Indian pilot, handcuffed and blindfolded, appeared on social media, identifying himself to Pakistani interrogators, deepening anger in New Delhi.
With Prime Minister Narendra Modi facing a general election in April-May, the government was under pressure to respond.
That evening, Indian National Security Adviser Ajit Doval spoke over a secure line to the head of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Asim Munir, to tell him India was not going to back off its new campaign of “counter terrorism” even after the pilot’s capture, an Indian government source and a Western diplomat with knowledge of the conversations told Reuters in New Delhi.
Doval told Munir that India’s fight was with the militant groups that freely operated from Pakistani soil and it was prepared to escalate, said the government source.
A Pakistani government minister and a Western diplomat in Islamabad separately confirmed a specific Indian threat to use six missiles on targets inside Pakistan. They did not specify who delivered the threat or who received it, but the minister said Indian and Pakistani intelligence agencies “were communicating with each other during the fight, and even now they are communicating with each other”.
Pakistan said it would counter any Indian missile attacks with many more launches of its own, the minister told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“We said if you will fire one missile, we will fire three. Whatever India will do, we will respond three times to that,” the Pakistani minister said.
Doval’s office did not respond to a request for comment. India was not aware of any missile threat issued to Pakistan, a government official said in reply to a Reuters request for comment.
Pakistan’s military declined to comment and Munir could not be reached for comment. Pakistan’s foreign ministry did not respond to a Reuters request for comment.
The crisis unfolded as U.S. President Donald Trump was trying to hammer out an agreement with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi over its nuclear program.
U.S. security advisor Bolton was on the phone with Doval on the night of Feb 27 itself, and into the early hours of Feb 28, the second day of the Trump-Kim talks, in an attempt to defuse the situation, the Western diplomat in New Delhi and the Indian official said.
Later, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who was also in Hanoi, also called both sides to seek a way out of the crisis.
“Secretary Pompeo led diplomatic engagement directly, and that played an essential role in de-escalating the tensions between the two sides,” State Department deputy spokesperson Robert Palladino said in a briefing in Washington on March 5.
A State Department official declined comment when asked if they knew of the threats to use missiles.
Pompeo spoke to Doval, the Indian and Pakistani Foreign Ministers Sushma Swaraj and Shah Mahmood Qureshi, respectively, Palladino said.
U.S. Indo-Pacific Command Admiral Phil Davidson told reporters in Singapore last week that he had separately been in touch with the Indian navy chief, Sunil Lanba, throughout the crisis. There was no immediate response from Lanba’s office to a question on the nature of the conversations.
U.S. efforts were focused on securing the quick release of the Indian pilot by Pakistan and winning an assurance from India it would pull back from the threat to fire rockets, the Western diplomat in New Delhi and officials in Washington said.
Pompeo ‘hopeful’ North Korea talks will continue
“We made a lot of effort to get the international community involved in encouraging the two sides to de-escalate the situation because we fully realized how dangerous it was,” said a senior Trump administration official.
The Pakistani minister said China and the United Arab Emirates also intervened. China’s foreign ministry did not respond to requests for comment. The government of the UAE said Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan held talks with both Modi and Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan.
India has not given details, but has said it was in touch with major powers during the conflict.
On the morning of Feb 28, Trump told reporters in Hanoi that he expected the crisis to end soon.
“They have been going at it and we have been involved in trying to have them stop. Hopefully that is going to be coming to an end.”
Later that afternoon, Khan announced in Pakistan’s parliament that the Indian pilot would be released, and he was sent back the next day.
“I know last night there was a threat there could a missile attack on Pakistan, which got defused,” Khan said. “I know, our army stood prepared for retaliation of that attack.”
The two countries have gone to war three times since both gained independence in 1947, the last time in 1971. The two armies are trading fire along the line of control that separates them in Kashmir, but the tensions appear contained for now.
Diplomatic experts said that the latest crisis underlined the chances of misread signals and unpredictability in the ties between the nuclear-armed rivals, and the huge dangers. It still was not clear whether India had targeted a militant camp in Pakistan and whether there were any casualties, they said.
“Indian and Pakistani leaders have long evinced confidence that they can understand each other’s deterrence signals and can de-escalate at will,” said Joshua White, a former White House official who is now at Johns Hopkins.
“The fact that some of the most basic facts, intentions and attempted strategic signals of this crisis are still shrouded in mystery … should be a sobering reminder that neither country is in a position to easily control a crisis once it begins.” (Courtesy Reuters)

Continue Reading

News

Dearth of non-local workers in Kashmir this year

Press Trust of India

Published

on


Srinagar, Mar 17: Kashmir has been left facing an acute shortage of migrant workers this year with the building activities in the valley taking a severe burnt.
Though officials have no explanation for this unusual development, locals widely believe that the migrant workers may be shunning the valley, fearing reprisal against them due to attacks on Kashmiris outside the state after the February 14 Pulwama suicide bombing that left 40 CRPF troopers dead.
Tens of thousands of migrant workers, who used to reach here from Bihar, West Bengal, Odisha, Jharkhand and elsewhere in the country by the last week of February or early March till last year are conspicuous by their absence this year.
These workers, both skilled and unskilled, have failed to show up in the valley so far, hitting the construction activities that usually resume in March at the end of three-month winter here.
The valley’s labour market used to be so dominated by the migrant workers that the city’s many landmark spots have been unofficially renamed as ‘Bihari chowks’.
For example, Hawal Chowk in downtown city, Chanapora in uptown Srinagar and Rambagh on Srinagar Airport road have come to be referred as ‘Bihari chowks’ with hundreds of migrant workers arriving there every morning till last year, seeking daily-wage employments.
Srinagar residents attribute the acute dearth of migrant workers this year to their possible heightened fears over possible retaliation against them here due to attacks on Kashmiri students outside the state after the Pulwama terror strike.
“A major factor behind them not coming to Kashmir may be the fear of reprisal against the Kashmiris getting targeted by right-wing goons in other parts of the country over the Pulwama attack,” said Arshad Hussain, a businessman.
The dearth of labourers has resulted in construction works getting delayed and the labour costs shooting up.
“I used to employ 50 to 60 labourers daily — most of them migrant workers. Right now I have to make do with just 10 to 15 local workers,” said Afaq Ahmad, a local contractor.
He feared the works undertaken by him might be delayed substantially if the migrant workers do not return to Kashmir before soon.
While officials maintain no data on migrant workers, as per a conservative estimate by the industry, around five lakh labourers come to Kashmir every year in February and work here till December when the winter sets in.
“I was planning to building my new house this April but I guess I will have to put it off for a while as local labourers have started demanding more wages than the rates prevalent last year,” said Suhail Mir, a local resident.

Continue Reading

News

‘Chowkidar’: PM, HM, Def Min, ors add prefix on Twitter

Avatar

Published

on

New Delhi, Mar 17: A day after launching the “Main Bhi Chowkidar (I am a watchman too)” campaign on social media, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday changed the title of his Twitter account to “Chowkidar Narendra Modi”.
Similarly, Minister of Finance, Arun Jaitley, Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman, and Home Minister Rajnath Singh and all other ministers and bigwigs at Centre and within the party added ‘Chowkidar’ to their titles on Twitter.
BJP President Amit Shah followed with “Chowkidar Amit Shah”, and tweeted: “The one who made cleanliness a moral value… he is called Chowkidar #MainBhiChowkidar. Say with all your heart #ChowkidarPhirSe (watchman again).”
Shah’s remarks came after senior BJP leaders and Union Ministers Piyush Goyal, J.P. Nadda, Harsh Vardhan and Dharmendra Pradhan followed suit, changing their names similarly on Twitter accounts.
On Saturday after Modi launched his party’s “Main Bhi Chowkidar (I am a watchman too)” campaign ahead of the general election that begins in April. He posted a video with the same title on Twitter, saying: “Your Chowkidar is standing firm and serving the nation”.
The campaign counters Congress President Rahul Gandhi’s repeated attacks on Modi and his government over various alleged malhandling of economic and defence deals and situations, with the slogan, “Chowkidar Chor Hai (watchman is a thief)”.
“Five years ago, chowkidar said he wanted to fight corruption. He said he wanted to make it a ‘Congress-mukt Bharat’. Today, the slogan of ‘Acche Din Aayenge’ has changed to ‘Chowkidar chor hai’,” Gandhi has been repeating at rallies.
Gandhi latched on to the word “chowkidar” as Modi during the 2014 Lok Sabha campaigning promised to work as a “chowkidar” to guard people’s money and their trust once elected.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 999,847 other subscribers

Archives

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Advertisement