Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Murder mystery solved within 12 hours in Ganderbal

Srinagar, Jun 03: Police on Sunday claimed to have solved a murder mystery within 12 hours by arresting the accused involved in the crime.

A police spokesperson in a statement issued here said that on June 1, the father of the murdered man Ghulam Ahmad Khanday of new colony Shalabaugh approached the police station Kherbawani with a written application that his son namely Mohammad Yousuf Khanday aged about 43 years is missing since May 31.

In this regard, he said, a missing report was filed in police station Kheerbawani and search was started.

On June 2, the officer said, they received information about a dead body at Chundina-Shalabugh villages.

Subsequently, the dead body was identified as Mohammad Yousuf Khanday by his family members.

The spokesperson said a special team was established by the SSP Ganderbal Fayaz Ahmad Lone under the supervision of DySP HQRs Ganderbal Ashaq Hussain to trace out the missing person.

A case with FIR no 33/2018 U/S 364/302 RPC was registered at PS Kheerbawani investigation was taken up, he said.

During the course of investigation questioning of suspects was carried out in by police, and during questioning one suspect namely Mohd Shafi Magarey of Cundina “confessed his crime and revealed a shocking murder mystery,” he said.

“The accused person had a financial dispute with the deceased person. The accused person had borrowed Rs. 80,000 from the deceased person with a promise of paying him back within three months, but has failed to pay him back,” the police officer said.

Magarey had the information that Khanday is visiting the J&K Bank Chundina on May 31 and he with a criminal intent asked the deceased person telephonically to meet him at a predefined location in order to get his money Rs 80,000 back, the spokesperson said.

“The accused person hit his hind brain portion with a large stone, which was already kept there by him,” he said.

“Khanday was unconscious. The accused person thereafter had hit him several times on the head, neck and chest.”

The accused person after getting the confirmation about the death of the deceased person, has took away his ATM card, Aadhar card, Mobile phone, Pan card and cash of rupees 13500 and fled from the spot.

He said the accused person has then boarded a vehicle in Towheed Chowk Ganderbal for Lal Chowk Srinagar. After reaching Lal Chowk, the accused person has boarded another vehicle for Pulwama, where he has abandoned the mobile phone of the deceased in order to mislead the investigation agencies.