By Hirra Azmat
Srinagar, May 10: The state government is not trying to enforce the order passed the last year to limit the expenditure on weddings.
The government had, through the order issued by the Food Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs department (FCS&CA), restrictions on the number of guests to be invited to a wedding or related functions, and also specified the number of dishes that could be served.
The move, aimed to curb the wastage of food mostly in the weddings, was initiated in response to complaints received by the department against the lavish weddings becoming common in the state.
The then-minister for FCS &CA, Chowdhary Zulfikar Ali, had described the wedding ceremonies as a “nuisance”.
“Now you can only invite 500 guests to a daughter’s wedding and 400 to a son’s. For the ring ceremonies, people can invite 100 guests,” he had said, explaining the order.
However, the order, which was supposed to come into effect from April 2017, has remained confined to papers.
Officials in the FCS &CA accept the failure of government in implementing the order.
“The government order has turned out to be a hoax. It is mainly because the order was issued without any preparations on ground,” an official told The Kashmir Monitor, wishing anonymity.
He said the implementation of the order was “practically impossible” in the valley.
“The previous ministry had issued the order in haste. It has been more than a year now, and I don’t see any implementation on the ground. The order will suffer the same treatment in the coming years as well,” the official said.
The incumbent Minister for FCS&CA, Ashraf Mir, expressed uncertainty over the implementation of the order.
The government had issued such bans in the past too. The order passed in October 2004 restricted the scale of hospitality, the preparation of dishes and the number of guests at weddings and related ceremonies.
JK Govt yet to get intimation on ECI teams visit
Srinagar, Jan 23: Jammu and Kashmir government is yet to get a formal intimation from the Election Commission of India of a proposed visit of a commission’s team for on spot assessment of the situation for Lok Sabha and Assembly polls in the state.
Official sources privy to developments on the conduct of Lok Sabha and Assembly elections in the state told that neither the government nor the office of Chief Electoral officer has got a formal intimation from the election commission of India on the visit of a team of the commission expected to make an on spot assessment of the situation before the commission takes a call on the simultaneous conduct of Lok Sabha and Assembly polls in the state or the holding of Lok Sabha and Assembly elections separately.
A top government official on conditions of anonymity told, “We are yet to get both the government and the office of the chief electoral officer is yet to get any intimation on the proposed visit of a team of the election commission of India for on spot assessment of the situation before a final decision on simultaneous or separate conduct of Lok Sabha and Assembly elections in the state.
However may be we get a call from the election commission of India on the proposed visit of its team even on January 27 as speculated in some media reports.”
Earlier, there were reports that a team of the Election Commission will soon visit Jammu and Kashmir to review the situation with political leaders and other stakeholders on polls in the state.
“A team of Election Commission will visit the state soon to have a review of situation with political leaders and other stakeholders for holding the elections,” state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Shailendra Kumar had said.
On the issue of holding of simultaneous polls, the CEO informed that his office had already taken necessary steps for holding the elections, but decision lies with the Election Commission, who would take a final call at an appropriate time after taking all aspects into consideration.
Injured Habba Kadal youth responding to treatment
Srinagar, Jan 23: The youth from Srinagar’s Habba Kadal area, who was critically injured after CRPF personnel allegedly hurled a stone at him on Tuesday, is responding to the treatment, doctors at SK Institute of Medical Sciences told The Kashmir Monitor.
Mohammad Younis, who, as per his family, had gone to fetch vegetables, suffered a skull fracture after a stone hit him during clashes in Habba Kadal.
Initially, he was taken to SMHS hospital but the doctors referred him to SKIMS as he was stated to be critical.
Medical Superintendent (MS), SKIMS Dr Farooq Jan said that Younis is being treated in the surgical observation unit of the hospital.
“Patient is okay. As of now, there is no need to worry. We are closely monitoring him,” he said.
The CRPF spokesman had claimed the youth “slipped and fell down while being chased”.
Weatherman predicts week-long dry spell in Valley
Srinagar, Jan 23: After three-day long wet spell across Kashmir, the weather on Wednesday showed improvement with local meteorological department forecasting dry weather till January 29.
The three-day-long wet spell ended across the Valley today. The MeT department had predicted improvement in the weather conditions from Tuesday evening.
The local Meteorological department told that there is no forecast of rain or snowfall across the Valley till January 29 here, saying that the weather would remain cloudy on Jan 25.
Meanwhile, Divisional Commissioner Baseer Ahmad Khan has issued fresh avalanche warning for nine avalanche prone districts of Kashmir division on Wednesday.
The warning has been issued for the avalanche prone areas of district Anantnag, Kulgam, Budgam, Baramulla, Kupwara, Bandipora, Ganderbal, Kargil and Leh of J&K state.
As per a hand out, the Divisional Commissioner Kashmir has asked the Deputy Commissioners of all these districts to advise the people living in avalanche prone areas not to venture out to avoid the loss of lives.
The Div Com also directed the concerned DCs to take all the precautionary measures and to keep the SDRF, Police and Para-medical staff with ambulances in readiness to avert any untoward incident.