In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

GoI scheme for better irrigation not implemented in JK

Srinagar, Feb 25: Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojna Scheme (PMKSY) has not been implemented in Jammu and Kashmir due to non-availability of funds.

The centre has sanctioned the scheme to various states, but it is yet to reach J&K.


The PMKSY aims to achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level.

The farmers in the state face issues due to lack of irrigation facilities.

The experts have also said that the government should focus on irrigation facilities for the entire agriculture sector to yield better crop.

Khurshid Ahmad, a farmer from Ganderbal, said the valley has witnessed little snowfall even in the higher reaches.

“During summers, snow melts to feed the streams, which are our main source of irrigation. As it didn’t rain or snow much, we will not get enough water for the crops,” he said.

Another farmer from Handwara said that initially the Valley had enough snowfall, but now the crucial months of winters are warm.

“Government shall implement the irrigation schemes, as it is high time for the government to provide us facilities,” he said.

Abdul Ahad Sofi, a noted Pomologist, said the state has many natural resources especially rivers, but the water is wasted.

“The government can use proper irrigation channels and schemes through which the water can be used properly.”

The PMKYS is a national mission to improve farm productivity and ensure better utilisation of the resources in every state.

The scheme was approved in 2015 at the meeting of Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).

Under the title of ‘Har Khet ko Pani’ the scheme has been formulated with the vision of extending the coverage of irrigation and improving water use efficiency ‘More crop per drop’ in a focused manner with end to end solution on source creation, distribution, management, field application and extension activities.

Director Agriculture Kashmir, Syed Altaf Aijaz Andrabi, said that implementing PMKSY in the state would take time.

“According to the PMKSY scheme, every agricultural field will be given water facilities. It is a larger project and for implementing it.  We need to have large budget which we currently do not have. Such things will take time to implement,” he said.

He said the state’s 60 per cent land has irrigation facility while the remaining 40 per cent comes under Karewa land.

“Government of India and the state government are trying their best to create water resources for irrigating the land,” he said.

He said it would take 10 to 15 years to irrigate the whole land.

“Irrigating the whole land of the state will be possible only when unauthorised construction on agricultural land will be stopped. If there will be no agricultural land, where we will provide irrigation facilities,” he said.