New Delhi: Separatist leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq Tuesday appeared before the National Investigation Agency for the second consecutive day for questioning in connection with a case related to funding of militant groups and separatist organisations in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said here.
The Mirwaiz came to the NIA headquarters under police protection and will be questioned on the matter of funding of his own party — Awami Action Committee — and Hurriyat Conference, a conglomerate of several separatist organisations, the officials said.
The Mirwaiz is the chairman of the Hurriyat Conference which has in the past engaged with the NDA and UPA-led governments for talks to find a lasting solution to the Kashmir issue.
The NIA has also summoned Naseem Geelani, son of pro-Pakistan separatist Syed Ali Shah Geelani, on Tuesday but it was not immediately clear whether he was appearing before the agency or not.
The NIA probe seeks to identify the chain of players behind the financing of militant activities, pelting of stones on security forces, burning down of schools and damaging of government establishments.
The case names Hafiz Saeed, the Pakistan-based chief of Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD), the front for the banned Lashker-e-Taiba, as an accused. It also names organisations such as Hurriyat Conference factions led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani and the Mirwaiz, the Hizbul Mujahideen and the Dukhtaran-e-Millat.
Ahead of his appearance before the NIA, the Hurriyat Conference chairman tweeted, “In Delhi today with my colleagues for the NIA summon, efforts to malign leadership for its political stand won’t work. Inspite of harassment Hurriyat will continue to seek peaceful resolution of the Kashmir issue. Urge people back home to stay calm and peaceful.”
The NIA had on February 26 carried out searches at premises of several leaders, including the Mirwaiz.
The probe agency questioned two maternal uncles of the Mirwaiz, Maulvi Manzoor and Maulvi Shafat, and his close aides last year. Both Manzoor and Shafat are retired senior government officers.
The Mirwaiz had informed the NIA that he was not acquainted with the subject matter of the FIR referred to in its notice and also added that the notice appears to have been issued on the basis of “fallacious assumptions and misinformation solely aimed at maligning” him.
Jadhav Case: ICJ suspends death sentence, grants consular access to India
The International Court of Justice on Wednesday announced its ruling in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case.
Ruling in India’s favour, the ICJ affirmed Jadhav’s right to consular access and notification, news agency ANI reported, citing Reema Omer, international legal advisor, South Asia.
The court has also directed Pakistan to provide effective review and reconsideration of his conviction and sentences, the agency added.
Sushma Swaraj, India’s former Indian minister of external affairs, called it a “great victory for India”.
“I thank the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for our initiative to take Jadhav’s case before International Court of Justice. I thank Mr. Harish Salve for presenting India’s case before ICJ very effectively and successfully. I hope the verdict will provide the much needed solace to the family members of Kulbhushan Jadhav,” she said in a series of tweets.
Kulbhushan Sudhir Jadhav, a former Indian navy officer, was arrested in Pakistan’s restive southwestern province of Balochistan in March 2016 on charges of espionage.
The 48-year-old was then sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court in 2017, sparking outrage in India.
India insists that Jadhav was not a spy and says he was kidnapped in Pakistan. New Delhi is asking the ICJ to order Islamabad to annul the sentence.
India’s lawyers told the court in February that it was a “farcical case” based on “malicious propaganda”, while Pakistan’s lawyers hit back by accusing Jadhav of “terrorism”.
The last hearing coincided with a sharp spike in tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbours after a suicide bombing in restive Kashmir, although relations have since improved.
The ICJ was set up in 1946 to rule in disputes between countries.
India, China exercising restraint in Doklam: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Speaking in Lok Sabha on the current state of relations with China, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that both the nations are committed to uphold existing agreements to maintain peace and tranquillity at the border.
Defence minister added, “Infrastructure like roads, tunnels, railway lines and airfields are being developed on the border of India & China to ensure the sovereignty & security of the nation.” Giving an account of the situation at border, Rajnath Singh ensured that both the nations are exercising restraint in Doklam.
Recently, Army Chief Bipin Rawat reacting on Chinese troops’ movement in Jammu and Kashmir’s Demchok had denied that any intrusion from Chinese side saying, “Celebrations were underway in our side and just to see what was happening, the Chinese troops came.”
Moreover, Chinese president Xi Jinping is set to visit India later this year in October. PM Modi and Xi Jinping will hold second ‘informal summit’ at Varanasi on October 12, reported The Hindu. Earlier in April 2018, the first informal meet had taken place in Wuhan. It is expected that both leaders will take a boat ride in ancient city of Varanasi. The meeting marks the completion of 70 years of diplomatic relations between India and China.
In June this year, PM Modi and Jinping met on the sidelines of SCO Summit is Bishkek. Calling his meeting with Jinping ‘extremely fruitful’ PM Modi had said, ‘We shall continue working together to improve economic and cultural ties between our nations.’ Xi reciprocated Modi’s gesture as he said, “China is ready to work with India to continuously advance the closer development partnership between the two countries.”
Moreover, China has for long been derailing India’s efforts to become a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group which widened the rift between both the countries. India, on the other hand, has been apprehensive of China’s Belt and Road initiative.
Militant killed in Sopore gunfight
Baramulla, July 17 : A militant was killed after a gunfight broke out between militants and government forces in Gund Brath area of Sopore in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Wednesday morning.
SSP Sopore Javeed Iqbal said that one militant body along with one weapon has been recovered from the encounter site.
The SSP further said that searches at encounter site is still underway.
As per the sources the slain militant has been identified as Adnan Channa resident of Old town Baramulla.
According to the sources, the slain militant had joined LeT outfit in April 2019.
Meanwhile, the partial shutdown is being observed in the old town area of Barmulla after reports of slain militant who is believed to be resident of old town Baramulla spread in the area.
Earlier in wake of gunfight authorities had suspended mobile internet services in Sopore parts, also to prevent any law and order problem Additional Deputy Commissioner Sopore Ashiq Hussain Lily in a statement ordered the closure of Degree College as a precautionary measure.