Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Day 51: Uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

Kashmir Police blocked the road outside the Residence of Farooq Abdullah after He was booked under PSA Umar Ganie 1

Srinagar, Sep 24:The ongoing situation in Kashmir completed 51 days on Tuesday even as authorities have lifted restrictions from most of the places in Kashmir.

Communication blockade, however, continues with no access to mobile telephony or internet services.


The situation has been eerily uncertain since August 5 when government of India abrogated Article 370, and bifurcated the state of J&K into two Union Territories—J&K and Ladakh.

The ongoing turmoil has majorly impacted vital sectors including transport, business, tourism, education with communication suspension adding more to the uncertainty.

Kashmir observed a spontaneous and relatively peaceful shutdown since August 5. Weeks later as authorities announced opening schools, the same continue to witness very thin attendance of students.

As far the higher education, all the major Universities across Kashmir remain closed for the 51st consecutive day.

According to the transporters, the sector has been the worst even as 50,000 vehicles including Tata Sumos and public mini-buses stand grounded.

Meanwhile, restrictions under Section 144 CrPC, banning assembly of four or more persons, continued as a precautionary measure in the valley to maintain law and order, officials said, adding there was no curfew in any part of the valley, including Srinagar. However, security forces remained on high alert to impose strict restrictions in case of any violence in the city.

There was no change in the situation in Shehar-e-Khas (SeK), where all gates of historic Jamia Masjid remained closed to prevent assemble of people since August 5. A large number of Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMF) were deployed in the Jamia Market and outside the Masjid to maintain law and order. No prayers, including on Fridays, were offered in the Masjid, stronghold of chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq, since August 5 due to restrictions.

There was also no change in the situation elsewhere in the valley, where all shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads due to strike since August 5. However, private vehicles were seen plying on some routes.

Business and other activities remained crippled for the 51 day on Tuesday in south Kashmir districts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama, Shopian. There was also no change in the situation in Kupwara, Baramulla, Bandipora, Pattan, Sopore, Handwara and Ajas in north Kashmir. Reports of shutdown were also received from central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Budgam. (With inputs from UNI)