Srinagar, Dec 30: Doctors Association Kashmir (DAK) today in a communique issued health advisory for general public in view of critical cold wave in Kashmir.
According to the press hand-out of the DAK, people are
1. When you go out, dress warmly, according to the temperature outside. Make sure that you cover your head, nose, mouth, neck, hands and feet properly. Wear boots that will keep your feet warm and prevent you from slipping and falling.
2. Do not stay outside too long without being well protected from the cold.
3 Stay active when outside.
4. If you are at home keep house warm as usual, and keep the room temperature at 19°C or above. Don’t use gas heaters for long time if they don’t have proper exhaust.
5. Caulk doors and windows to prevent cold air from coming in. If you use a gas heater, charcoal based or an auxiliary heating system, make sure the room is well ventilated and air circulation is done every one or two hourly.
7. Dress in several layers of clothing. Make sure that you cover your head, nose, mouth, neck, hands and feet well.
8. Wear wollen socks and boots that will keep your feet warm and prevent you from slipping and falling. Wear Wollen or leather gloves
9. Stay active – walk constantly, for example.
10. Limit vigorous physical exertion, such as shovelling snow or running.
11. Avoid getting your clothes wet. If your clothes get wet, change them as soon as possible.
12. Do not smoke or drink alcohol; neither will warm you up. On the contrary, smoking or drinking alcohol may lower your body temperature even more and lead to hypothermia, for example.
13. Drink Luke warm boiled water.
President DAK, Dr Suhail Naik added that Doctors Association Kashmir will periodically issue health advisors viz-a-viz persisting intense cold wave.