Srinagar, Mar 7: A couple and their daughter were charred to death after their house was gutted in a fire incident in Khanyar area of Srinagar district during the intervening night of Friday and Saturday.
Javid Ahmad Hakak, his wife Sobiya and their daughter Hafsa (4) were burnt alive after their house was completely damaged in the overnight fire incident at Sheeshgari Mohalla of Khanyar in Old City.
Eyewitnesses said the fire was so intense that the sleeping family members could not find their way out of the house to evade the raging flames.
Local residents spotted smoke rising from the building and broke open the door in attempts to rescue the family, however, they could only manage to save the couple’s elder daughter Soheda Javid (8).
Soon after the incident, officials of police and civil administration arrived at the scene and launched an investigation into the matter.
Initial probe indicated that the fire was triggered by short-circuit.
District Development Commissioner Dr Shahid Iqbal Chowdary who rushed to spot told announced Rs 15 lakh compensation in favour of lone surviving daughter. He said that the government will also bear education and the other expenses of the girl.
As per the procedure, the amount would go in a joint account of the girl and the DC and the money along with interest would be given to the girl after she attains the age of 18 years.
Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in the funeral of the deceased.