On an average, an adult passes gas 13 to 21 times in a day. Gas is in fact, a normal part of the digestion process. But the problem starts when gas builds up in your intestines and you are unable to expel it. This is what causes pain and discomfort. The frequency of gas pain, flatulence and bloating can be exacerbated by anything which causes diarrhea and constipation. Also, chewing gum, overeating, smoking cigarettes and certain foods can cause gas. In case your gas makes you uneasy suddenly, causes distress and is accompanied with diarrhea, constipation and weight loss, do visit a doctor in order to determine the underlying cause behind frequent gas and flatulence. In order to prevent gas and flatulence, you should sit down during each meal and eat slowly. Avoid chewing gums, soda, carbonated beverages and smoking. Exercise regularly and try going for walks after a meal.
If any of the above ways don’t work, you can try the following home remedies in order to prevent gas and flatulence:
Turmeric can help in reducing symptoms of gas and bloating in people who suffer from indigestion. Add turmeric to your food as an effective home remedy for gas and flatulence.
Including garlic in your diet can help in preventing gas, flatulence and bloating. Garlic is and effective home remedy for gas and flatulence as it is especially helpful during a bloating detox. It works against unwanted yeasts in the gut.
3. Star anise
Star anise is a spice which helps calm down spasms in the stomach. Relaxation properties in star anise also help in avoiding bloating. It prevents stomach tightening and cramping. You can add star anise to your tea or can even chew it after a meal. You can also try star anise seed water in order to treat gas and flatulence.
There are certain enzymes which can help your stomach break down food easily and make digestion much easier. Fruits like pineapple and papaya have enzymes like bromelain and papain respectively. This help in breaking down food and helps aid digestion. You can opt for eating these foods before your meals in order to prevent gas and flatulence.
Ginger is very famous anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger help soothe the stomach. You can try ginger tea during or after meal in order to prevent gas and flatulence.
Mints like basil, peppermint and spearmint can help in reducing bloating. You can try mint after a meal in order to get rid of gas and flatulence. You can either opt for chewing mint leaves or have mint tea after dinner for effective results.
7. Fennel seeds and cardamom
Fennel seeds can work wonders when it comes to preventing gas and flatulence. You can add them in your tea or chew them after your meal in order to prevent these conditions. Also, you add half tsp of cardamom and fennel powder in warm water in order to deal with gas and flatulence. Chewing cardamom seeds can also help in dealing with gas and flatulence.
Probiotics are foods which feed on the good bacteria in your stomach and ease the digestion process. Lack of sufficient good bacteria in the stomach can make it difficult to break down food. It leaves room for fermentation and release gas. Kefir, kombucha, yogurt and sauerkraut are all good instances of probiotics.
While chamomile is popular for inducing sleep, it can help in dealing with frequent gas and flatulence as well. You can drink chamomile tea regularly in order to calm your stomach.
You can drink chamomile tea regularly in order to calm your stomach.
Multiple checks give right BP, says study
Repeated blood pressure (BP) measurements are more representative of the true BP status of an individual as compared to a single reading that is usually taken and can actually show higher disease prevalence, a new study has said.
Titled “Impact of Repeated Blood Pressure Measurement on Blood Pressure Categorisation in a Population-Based Study from India”, the study that appeared in Nature’s Journal of Human Hypertension on Friday found 63% higher prevalence of hypertension when only the first reading was considered for diagnosis in comparison to the mean of the second and third readings.
The information was analysed from BP readings taken to generate data for the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), a nationwide survey conducted in India in 2015-2016. Although the general consensus is that there should be multiple readings, there are no clear-cut guidelines on how many readings are good enough. Most doctors rely on a single reading primarily due to time constraints.
“Most people take one reading but, ideally, there should be at least three as usually the first reading is always on the higher side because when a patient walks in, he or she is usually a bit anxious. The later readings are likely to be lower,” said Dr D Prabhakaran, researcher from Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) and one of the authors of the study. “Since doctors are usually busy, the BP readings can be taken by a nurse,” he added.
The data was analysed for over three months, revised in March and accepted for publication on April 1. Researchers from the PHFI, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and the Economics and Planning Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, collaborated to analyse the data.
“Improper measurement of office BP can lead to inaccurate classification, overestimation of a patient’s true BP, unnecessary treatment, and misinterpretation of the true prevalence of hypertension,” the study said.
The researchers believe the findings will benefit both patients as well as the health care system.
Morning Rituals to Keep You Healthy
Most of us are required to wake up early in the morning to prepare foods for the kids, go to school or get ready for work. Our morning routine and rituals can help us optimize and determine how our day is going to be. A little change in our morning routine can do wonders for our health. Practicing these healthy morning rituals will surely improve your quality of life and improve overall health.
Morning Rituals to Try:
– Exercising for 7 minutes every morning. Why seven you ask? Seven minutes is enough to get your much needed pick me upper without sacrificing too much time in your morning routine. Exercising for seven minutes in the morning can remove the sluggish feeling you had the night before and can sweat off that mild hangover. If you can sacrifice more of your time or wake up earlier you can go for a longer workout.
– Never leave the house without eating. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason. Grab your nearest fruit and vegetable if you’re running late. Eating later in the day will only slow down your metabolism, make you lose concentration and cranky. Make your morning meal healthier by creating a green smoothie. Making this smoothie will take a less longer time to make and can keep you energized till the afternoon. You can look up some amazing green smoothies online.
– Write down what the three important things you need to accomplish that day. Keeping a clear schedule in the morning will prevent giving you unwanted stress and confusion through the day.
– Stretch as soon as you wake up. Do the good morning sunshine bit by stretching your arms wide as soon as you wake-up and shake your body awake. If your mind has managed to remove its grogginess do some proper stretches. Stretch your back muscles, spine, legs, neck and arms. This will lessen muscle pain, improve your mood and energize your body.
– Walk around your bed or house when you still feel sleepy. Lying in bed will only cause you to fall asleep again and ruin your morning routine. Walking is one of the best ways to shake off sleepiness.
– It should be a common morning ritual to drink two glasses of water as soon as you wake up. We spend 6 to 10 hours sleeping without any water, making our body dehydrated in the morning. Starting off your day with two glasses of water will hydrate the body and start up metabolism. Drinking water in the morning will also help you digest better throughout the day and increase circulation in the body.
– Wash your face with ice cold water, doing this will surely remove any desire to sleep again. Doing this in the morning will help circulation on the face and moisturize the skin. This will also remove puffiness and exhaustion on the face.
– Include protein and fat in your morning meal, eating fat and protein early in the morning will keep you fuller longer and boost energy. It will also prevent unwanted mid- afternoon crashes.
– Cold shower in the morning can help boost metabolism, increase oxygen intake, reduce stress, prevent muscle pain and less pressure in the joint areas. Cold water will also make the skin look more moisturize and can make the hair look silky smooth. Yes, I know showering in cold water in the morning is a form of torture, but the health benefits are surely worth it.
Add chokeberries in porridge to help boost health
While bananas and blueberries have been commonly used in porridge, a new study suggests that adding chokeberries, called ‘the healthiest fruit in the world’, can help boost health.
High in antioxidants, chokeberries — native to North America and also known as aronia berries – are not damaged when mixed with porridge unlike some other fruits, the Daily Mail reported.
“The results demonstrate that porridge enriched with chokeberry fruit have a potential for becoming a good source of natural antioxidants,” said lead author Anna Oniszczuk from the Medical University of Lublin in Poland.
For the study, the team made porridge with varying contents of chokeberry, with the highest one containing 20% fruit.
The findings, published in De Gruyter’s journal, revealed that the nutritional properties of the porridge did not degrade during the production process, despite the high temperatures used.
This makes it appealing because the antioxidant capacity of some fruits can be significantly diminished by heat or oxidation during processing.
In addition, increasing the chokeberry fruit content made the breakfast bowl higher in antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids and free phenolic acids, the study said.
“Due to the high levels of antioxidants in the berry and its resistance to high temperatures during processing, the research highlights how important the berry could be for the production of functional foods such as porridge,” Oniszczuk said.
Besides their high concentration of antioxidants, chokeberries are full of vitamins, such as vitamin C and flavonoids.
Chokeberries are also believed to have anti-ageing properties, good for the heart and can even work as an aphrodisiac.