Connect with us

International

Women still being excluded from peace talks: UN

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

United Nations :The UN has denounced that women were still being excluded from peace negotiations, despite the fact that their participation has proven to be key in conflict resolution around the world.

“Women cannot be excluded from the peace process simply because they do not engage in battle,” UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka said .

Mlambo-Ngcuka presented a report on women, peace and security to the UN Security Council, which celebrated its annual open debate on the matter, reports Efe news.

 

The Director said that the report is a “loud alarm bell” on systemic failures to bring women into peacemaking in a meaningful manner.

Between 1990 and 2017, women constituted only two per cent of mediators, 8 per cent of negotiators, and five per cent of witnesses and signatories in major peace processes, according to UN figures.

“Only three out of 11 agreements signed in 2017 contained provisions on gender equality, continuing last year’s worrisome downward trend,” she said, expressing her concern for the absence of women in the current negotiations in Yemen, as well as their limited presence in Mali, the Central African Republic and Afghanistan.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, meanwhile highlighted various studies that show the link between women’s participation and peace, urging the international community to continue their efforts toward achieving full gender equality.

Guterres added that approximately 41 percent of chiefs and joint chiefs in peace operations are now women, adding that such proportion had never been reached before.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

North Korea asks UN chief to address ship seizure by ‘gangster’ US

Agencies

Published

on

SEOUL: North Korea has asked United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to deal with the “illegal” seizure of one of its cargo ships by the United States, state media said on Saturday. “This act of dispossession has clearly indicated that the United States is indeed a gangster country that does not care at all about international laws,” the North Korean ambassador to the United Nations said in a letter sent to Guterres dated Friday, according to North Koreas KCNA news agency. Pyongyangs protest to the United Nations over the seizure comes amid mounting tensions since a second summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump, aimed at bringing about the denuclearisation of the North, broke down in Hanoi in February.
The letter also called for “urgent measures” by Guterres and claimed that Washington infringed the North`s sovereignty and violated U.N. charters. With the denuclearisation talks stalled, North Korea went ahead with more weapons tests this month. The tests were seen as a protest by Kim after Trump rejected his calls for sanctions relief at the Hanoi summit.
North Korea has said the ship seizure violated the spirit of the summit and demanded the return of the vessel without delay. The U.S. Justice Department said the North Korean cargo ship, known as the “Wise Honest”, was seized and impounded to American Samoa. The vessel was accused of illicit coal shipments in violation of sanctions and was first detained by Indonesia in April 2018.

Continue Reading

International

Trump tells Pentagon chief he doesn’t want war with Iran

Agencies

Published

on

KARACHI: Senior officials in Washington have begun looking for ways to defuse tensions with Tehran after President Donald Trump has made it clear that he doesn’t want a war with Iran, sources say.
The New York Times has reported that during a meeting Mr Trump told his acting defence secretary, Patrick Shanahan, that he does not want to go to war with Iran.
The president’s statement was meant to apprise his hawkish aides that he did not want the intensifying US pressure campaign against the Iranians to turn into an open conflict, said the newspaper.
According to another statement, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called the leader of Oman, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, to discuss the threat posed by Iran. Oman has long been seen as an intermediary between the West and Iran.
Pompeo also asked European officials for help in persuading Iran to “de-escalate” tensions, which rose after American intelligence indicated that Iran had equipped small boats in the Persian Gulf with missiles. The information prompted fears that Tehran might strike at the United States troops and assets or those of its allies.
When asked on Thursday whether the United States was going to war with Iran, Mr Trump replied: “I hope not.”
The developments have served to highlight internal tensions in the Trump administration and prompted fears that even though the president may not be spoiling for a fight with Iran some of his aides could be.
This is happening at a time when US officials are holding an internal debate about the “gravity of the Iranian threat”. While officials and British allies say the intelligence about the threat is valid, lawmakers and some inside the administration accuse Mr Trump’s aides of exaggerating the danger and exploiting the intelligence to justify a military clash with Tehran.
Iran has dismissed any suggestion of a dialogue with the Trump administration. “The escalation by the United States is unacceptable,” Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday.
Indeed, there was a new potential flash point in Iran’s standoff with the United States, stemming from its vow last week to step away from some of the limitations imposed by the nuclear deal, a year after the US pulled out of the agreement that was negotiated between Tehran and world powers in 2015.
State Department officials, meanwhile, have set a “red line” that they warn Iran would cross at its peril: It could not ramp up its nuclear fuel production to the point where it would produce a nuclear weapon in less than one year.
The administration officials, however, did not specify what kind of reaction — military or otherwise — would come if Iran built up enough of a stockpile of uranium and took other steps to cross that threshold.

Continue Reading

International

More than 250,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh get first ID cards: UN

Agencies

Published

on

Geneva: The UN said it has registered more than 250,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, providing many with their first ever identification cards and proof of their right to return to Myanmar in the future.
The UN refugee agency also said the registration could serve as a tool for law enforcement to help counter human trafficking.
Over a quarter of a million Rohingya refugees from Myanmar have now been jointly registered and provided with identity cards by Bangladesh authorities and UNHCR,” spokesman Andrej Mahecic told reporters in Geneva.
Some 740,000 Rohingya refugees fled a military crackdown in August 2017 to cross into Bangladesh where 300,000 members of the persecuted Muslim minority were already in camps.
Many Rohingya refugees who fled said there had been mass rapes and slaughters in the villages, and in a report published last September, the fact-finding mission said there were reasonable grounds to believe the atrocities amounted to “genocide”.
UNHCR puts the number of Rohingya refugees currently crowded into settlements in Cox’s Bazar at around 900,000, although the UN often gives a lower number than Bangladesh authorities and other aid organisations.
They are stateless, despite the fact that many of their families have lived in Myanmar for generations, since members of the Muslim minority have had their citizenship eroded over decades.
“The registration exercise, which began in June 2018, is about safeguarding the right of Rohingya refugees to be able to return home voluntarily to Myanmar in future,” Mahecic said.
Myanmar and Bangladesh have signed a memorandum of understanding about repatriating the Rohingya, but so far safety fears and concerns over citizenship mean the refugees have refused to return.
The new ID cards, provided to all refugees over the age of 12, lists important information, including names, family links and fingerprints and Iris scans.
Mahecic also said that the cards list Myanmar as the refugees’ country of origin.
In total, 270,348 refugees, or nearly 60,000 families, have been registered, and around 4,000 people are added to the roster each day, he said.
UNHCR’s goal is to complete the process of registering all the Rohingya in Cox’s Bazar by November.
Mahecic pointed out that comprehensive registration is important for improving the accuracy of data on refugees in Bangladesh, and provides authorities and humanitarians with a better understanding of the population and its needs.
He also said that the registration “can also serve as a better tool vis-a-vis the authorities to prevent and combat smuggling and trafficking”.
His comment came after a rise in attempted human smuggling of Rohingya in the last few months, amid growing desperation in the camps.
Earlier this week, Bangladeshi police shot dead two suspected Rohingya human traffickers, after rescuing 103 refugees in two days about to make the perilous sea voyage to Malaysia.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News3 hours ago

Grenade lobbed at police station Shopian

Shopian, May 20 : Suspected militants on Monday evening lobbed a grenade towards police station Shopian.  An official told that the...

Latest News6 hours ago

Pellet victims protest, demand ban on use of pellet guns

A group of pellet victims, who were injured during law and order situations in the Kashmir Valley over the past...

Latest News6 hours ago

NAAC grants A+ accreditation to Kashmir University

Srinagar, May 20: After bagging 53rd rank in NIRF 2019 and 51st in QS India University Rankings 2019, the University of Kashmir added yet another feather...

Latest News9 hours ago

Man killed over land dispute in Reasi district; 5 arrested

Jammu, May 20: A 64-year-old man was killed by five people over a land dispute in Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi...

Latest News9 hours ago

Curfew relaxed in Bhaderwah town

Bhaderwah:Curfew was relaxed in the entire Bhaderwah town for the first time on Monday since its imposition last week following...

Latest News9 hours ago

First surgical strike was carried out in Sept 2016: Lt Gen Ranbir Singh

Srinagar: Commanding-in-Chief of the Indian Army’s Northern Command, Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh on Monday confirmed that the first surgical strike...

Latest News10 hours ago

Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Amir, Asif Ali included in Pakistan World Cup squad

Pakistan have sprung a surprise by bringing back pacers Mohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz to the ODI fold for the...

Latest News12 hours ago

VIDEO | Dead Body of 29 year old missing teacher recovered in Bandipora

Bandipora, May 20: Dead Body of a missing government teacher was recovered on Monday from Laharwapora gath near Wullar Lake...

Latest News12 hours ago

Nocturnal clashes rock Budgam village

Budgam, May 20 : Nocturnal clashes erupted in Central Kashmir’s Daharmuna Budgam district after government forces raided the village in...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,372 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement