ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Trump Says US Halts Planned Iran Strike After Request From Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE Leaders

trump iran war 170038958

Washington: US President Donald Trump has said that the United States has decided to hold off a planned military strike on Iran following requests from key Middle Eastern leaders, amid ongoing negotiations aimed at reaching a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme.

Trump said he had been requested by the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to suspend the planned military attack on the Islamic Republic of Iran, which he claimed was scheduled for the following day.

Trump stated that “serious negotiations” are currently taking place and expressed hope that a deal acceptable to the United States, Middle Eastern countries, and the wider international community could be achieved.

He said the proposed agreement must ensure that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons.

“Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,” Trump wrote.

However, Trump also warned that the US military has been directed to remain fully prepared for immediate action if negotiations fail.

He said the military has been instructed to be ready to launch a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice,” in the event that an acceptable agreement is not reached.