In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Top JeM commander killed in Tral encounter


Srinagar, Sep 23: A top commander of Jaish-e-Mohammad outfit was killed in an encounter in Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Sunday morning.

Reports said that a top militant commander of Jaish-e-Mohammad outfit was killed in the gunfight. The body of the slain has been recovered along with a weapon and other incriminating material.


The slain militant was identified as Adnan of Pakistan.

The operation was launched by the joint team of police, army and CRPF in the area following “credible inputs”.

Later, the area also witnessed clashes between protesters and government forces.

Reports said that scores of protesters including women assembled and pelted stones on forces who responded to immense tear smoke shelling.

A police spokesman said the search operation was launched jointly by a team of police and other government forces based on credible inputs about the presence of militants in the Aripal village.

“During the search operation hiding militant fired on the search party. The fire was retaliated leading to an encounter. In the ensuing encounter, one militant was killed. A huge quantity of arms, ammunition and incriminating material was recovered from the site of the encounter,” the spokesman said in a statement.

“From the incriminating material recovered, it is learnt that the killed militant is one of the top commanders of proscribed militant outfit JeM identified as Adnan of Pakistani origin,” he said.

The spokesman said that one civilian identified as Manzoor Dar from Tral “sustained injuries in cross firing”.

“He was evacuated to nearby hospital for medical attention and is stated to be stable now. Also one forces personnel got injured in the encounter. He has been hospitalised and is stated to be stable now. Police has registered a case and initiated an investigation in the instant matter,” the spokesman added.