Connect with us

Lead Stories

Teen, two militants killed in Shopian encounter






Srinagar, July 10: Two militants and an 18-year-old youth were killed and over 50 civilians suffered injuries in government forces action during intense clashes near encounter site at Kundalan village of south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Tuesday.

Two army soldiers including an officer (JCO) were injured during the initial firefight and were taken to military hospital Badamibagh, Srinagar.

Reports said that Tamsheel Ahmad Khan (18) son of Khursheed Ahmad Khan of Vehil, Kachdora sustained a critical bullet wound in his head in forces action during the clashes in Kundalan.


Khan was shifted to District Hospital Shopian where from he along with seven other persons having bullet injuries were referred to different hospitals in Srinagar.

Khan was taken to SMHS hospital here where doctors declared him dead on arrival, they said.

A senior doctor at SMHS hospital also confirmed the death of the youth. He said that the youth had received serious firearm injury.

Over 50 protesters, seven of them with bullets and others with pellets and tear gas shelling were injured during clashes near the encounter site.

Meanwhile, thousands of mourners including men, women and youth shouted pro-freedom slogans while the local militant Sameer and the civilian Tamsheel Ahmad Khan was being taken for final journey in their respective villages, they said adding that the duo was laid to rest amid sobs and tears in respective martyrs’ graveyards.

A spontaneous shutdown was observed in Shopian and its adjoining areas. All business establishments establishment were closed while as transport remained off the roads.

The gunfight started after the joint team of Army, SOG and CRPF launched a cordon and search operation in the area.

A police spokesman said that pursuing credible leads regarding the presence of militants in Kundallan village, a joint patrol of the security forces launched searches in area in the wee hours today.

“As the searches were going on, the militants hiding inside the house fired upon the search party leading to an encounter. Some of the civilians in the nearby houses were quickly evacuated by the security forces,” the spokesman said.

During the encounter both the hiding militants were killed and have been identified as Sameer Ahmad Sheikh son of Ghulam Mohammad Sheikh resident Rawalpora Shopian and Babar from Pakistan. They were affiliated with JeM outfit, the spokesman said.

Sameer, the local militant was a school dropout and had joined the outfit JeM after he was reported missing from his home since April 2018, the spokesman said.

“On the basis of documents available the other militant has been identified as Babar a JeM commander of Pakistan origin. They were involved in many attacks on the security establishments and civilian atrocities,” the spokesman claimed.

Some civilians were also injured in cross firing at the site of encounter who were later evacuated to the hospital for medical attention. One of the injured persons later succumbed to his injuries while the other injured are stated to be stable now, the spokesman said.

Police have registered a case and investigation has been initiated in the instant matter, he said.



 Hearing his son is trapped, father dies of heart attack

Srinagar, July 10: A middle aged person died of cardiac arrest on Tuesday after learning that his militant son was trapped in gunfight with the government forces in Shopian district of south Kashmir.

According to reports Mohammad Ishaq Naikoo, father of Zeenat who had just joined militant ranks, died after hearing that his son was trapped in the gun battle in Kundalan village.

Naikoo, a resident of Memander village of the district was shifted to district hospital Shopian where doctors declared him dead on arrival.

Meanwhile, sources said that the rumour about the presence of Naikoo’s son was not true.


Lead Stories

‘Bigger force’ wants to deactivate CJI’s office’: SC

Gogoi accused of sexual harassment; refutes allegations

Press Trust of India



New Delhi, Apr 20: Describing the allegations of sexual harassment against him as “unbelievable”, Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi convened an extraordinary hearing at the Supreme Court on Saturday and said a larger conspiracy was behind it and he would not stoop too low even to deny these allegations.
In the hurriedly called hearing after the allegations cropped up, the apex court left it to the “wisdom of media” to show restraint and act responsibly so that independence of judiciary is not affected.
The apex court, which held the hearing for around 30 minutes, said independence of judiciary was under “very serious threat” and “unscrupulous allegations” of sexual harassment had been levelled against the Chief Justice of India as some “bigger force” wanted to “deactivate” the office of the CJI.
The “unusual and extraordinary” hearing on a Saturday was held after stories were published on some news portals on the allegations made by an ex-employee of the apex court against the CJI.
The court, which said the judiciary “cannot be made a scapegoat”, said the media should not publish the woman’s complaint without verifying its truth.
The CJI said this issue had cropped up when a bench headed by him is scheduled to hear “many, many sensitive cases” next week and this was also the month of the general election in the country.
Besides the CJI, the bench also comprising Justices Arun Mishra and Sanjiv Khanna, hinted towards a “bigger force” behind the controversy which had the potential to shake the faith of public in the judicial system.
Though the CJI was heading the bench, he left it to Justice Mishra to take a call on passing a judicial order.
Dictating the order, Justice Mishra said, “Having considered the matter, we refrain from passing any judicial order at this moment, leaving it to the wisdom of the media to show restraint, act responsibly as is expected from them and accordingly decide what should or should not be published, as wild and scandalous allegations undermine and irreparably damage reputation and negate independence of judiciary.”
“We would, therefore, at this juncture leave it to the media to take off such material which is undesirable,” the order said.
The CJI said “unbelievable” allegations had been levelled against him and “I do not think I should stoop too low even to deny these allegations. But that comes after 20 years of selfless service as a judge”.
“Nobody can catch me on money. People have to find something and they have found this,” the CJI said, while making it clear that he had a bank balance of Rs 6.8 lakh apart from around Rs 40 lakh in provident fund after being in service for around two decades.
“There has to be a bigger, bigger force behind this. There are two offices–one of the Prime Minister and one of the CJI. They (people behind this controversy) want to deactivate the office of the CJI,” Justice Gogoi said, adding, “This is the reward a CJI gets after 20 years of service.”
Anguished over the allegations, the CJI warned that “the judiciary of this country is under very serious threat. We will not allow this to happen”.
“I will sit in this chair and discharge my judicial functions without any fear. I will decide the cases in the seven months (of his remaining tenure as the CJI). I will do that,” he said.
Justice Gogoi, who assumed the office of the CJI on October 3, 2018, will retire on November 17.
Before being elevated as a judge of the Supreme Court on April 23, 2012, Justice Gogoi was the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court from February 12, 2011.
Prior to his appointment as a permanent judge of the Gauhati High Court on February 28, 2001, he practised mainly in that high court. As a judge, he was transferred to the Punjab and Haryana High Court on September 9, 2010.
A three-judge special bench headed by Justice Gogoi was constituted after a sworn affidavit by the woman, copies of which were sent to the residences of 22 apex court judges, became public on Saturday.
The apex court registry in a notice earlier in the day said a three-bench headed by the CJI was being set up to deal with a “matter of great public importance touching upon the independence of judiciary”.
The former employee has described two incidents of alleged molestation by Gogoi in her affidavit, both of which allegedly took place in October 2018, days after he was appointed the CJI, and her subsequent persecution.
According to reports, the woman alleged that she was removed from service after she rebuffed his advances. She claimed that her husband and brother-in-law, both of whom were head constables, were suspended for a 2012 criminal case that had been mutually resolved.
She was later made to prostrate before Justice Gogoi’s wife and rub her nose at her feet in the CJI’s residence, she alleged, adding that her disabled brother-in-law was removed from service at the Supreme Court.
The woman also alleged that she was detained at a police station along with her husband and other relatives and they were subjected to physical and verbal abuse in a case of cheating against her.
Confirming that a letter by the woman has been received by several sitting judges, Supreme Court Secretary General Sanjeev Sudhakar Kalgaonkar said all the allegations made by the woman concerned were mala fide and had no basis. “No doubt, it is a mala fide allegation,” he said.

Continue Reading

Lead Stories

‘Healing touch’ only for Kashmiris: Modi




New Delhi, Apr 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has criticised those who have been advocating a “soft touch” towards separatists in Jammu and Kashmir.
Responding to question from news channel Times Now on Rahul Gandhi’s vow to dilute the provisions of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) to “reduce the alienation” of the people in J&K, the Prime Minister said that militants and separatists can only be dealt with a “hitting touch”. The ‘healing touch’, the PM said should be reserved for the civilians of the state.
“We follow the principles of Atal Bihari Vajpayee ji. Humanity, Democracy and Kashmiriyat – we are treading this path. We and the country are ready for extra healing touch for the people of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh but there can only be hitting touch for militants,” the PM said.
Declaring that “we will have to make a clear demarcation that healing touch is for the citizens and hitting touch for the militants,” Modi said “They believe in the exact opposite of this. They want a healing touch for separatists and militants and a hitting touch for Central government. This is wrong”.
Saying that “this extra healing touch is for the policemen who are dying in Kashmir, the army jawans who come home for weddings in their families and being killed – they need a healing touch, the Prime Minister said “there are children who are making the country proud in sports competitions, they need a healing touch. They need an extra healing touch. I am willing to walk that mile to provide them with that but there will be no healing touch to separatists and militants. I will not let them be given that treatment and will only give them hitting touch”.
Modi also said Pulwama attack would not have happened if a strong reply was given after the attack in Mumbai in November 2008.
He also noted that the aerial strike on a training camp in Balakot was “successful” with Pakistan not allowing the media to visit the site for over 40 days.
Modi told Times Now in an interview that “no patriotic Indian could afford to sit back after the February 14, Pulwama attack, in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed”.
“If we remain silent at a time like this, then the perpetrators will get into the habit of thinking that the government is not strong and they can get away. If action had been taken after the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, Pulwama would not have happened,” he said.
Modi said no major terror incident has happened in the US after the 9/11 attack as their government showed strength.
“Whenever such incidents happened in the past in India, even when the Pandits were driven out of the Kashmir Valley, if strong steps had been taken at that time then we would not have faced 40 years of militancy and lost thousands of soldiers. But at that time politics got in the way, vote banks got in the way,” Modi said.
Asked about people who link Balakot strikes with elections, Modi said “it is a reflection of their thinking”.
“They have never thought there is something called national policy which is much bigger than politics. This is beyond their understanding. I find it very painful to even descend into this kind of argument,” he said.
He said the “sacrifice of 40 personnel meant a new warning bell of danger.”
“This had to be answered. I had decided after the Uri attack that now the time had come to carry out action where the militants get shelter and weapons and where they get their training. That is why on the very first day (after Pulwama attack) I gave a free hand to the Army,” the Prime Minister said.
He said the Balakot strikes were carried out very carefully and it was a “successful operation”.
Answering a query on ‘strategic restraint’, Modi said it means hiding shortcomings and the world respects the powerful.
Asked about suspicions about success of air strikes, Modi said it was Pakistan which announced that aerial strikes had taken place.
“If nothing had happened, why would they announce? Secondly, after the Uri surgical strike, Pakistan showed the media that nothing had happened within 24 hours, because in a radius of 250 km, any corner can be shown. It was easy. Why did Pakistan not let media visit the Balakot airstrike site for 43 days? Even today, ordinary citizens are not permitted to go there. Why is that?”
He said statements from Pakistan say they want to have talks but referred to its contradictory claims after the air strikes. “Why should we trust Pakistan?” he asked.

Continue Reading

Lead Stories

Highway restrictions off between Srinagar-Baramulla




Srinagar, Apr 20: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday partially relaxed the two-day-a-week restrictions on the movement of civilian traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway which was put in place to facilitate movement of security forces’ convoys.

Earlier this month, the government had imposed the restrictions on the national highway (NH-44) connecting Jammu to Srinagar, days after the Pulwama attack in which over 40 CRPF personnel were killed.

The restriction barred civilian traffic from plying on the road on Wednesdays and Sundays.


Now, there would be no restrictions from Srinagar to Baramulla on Wednesdays, an official spokesperson said Saturday.

However, the restrictions would continue between Srinagar and Udhampur, in the Jammu region, on NH-44 as earlier, he said.

“These would be reviewed periodically and relaxation would be made as the need for restriction reduces,” he said.

A complete review of restrictions on the highway, the spokesperson added, would be done after the last phase of elections on May 06, to examine the need for continuing with them.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,006,784 other subscribers


April 2019
« Mar