Washington: The Taliban founder Mullah Mohammad Omar more commonly referred to as Mullah Omar lived in a ‘secret room’ near the bases of the US Army but the American troops failed to find him, a new book has claimed.
As per the book which exposes the embarrassing failure of US intelligence, Mullah Omar spent years living within walking distance of US bases in Afghanistan. The findings of the book, which have been published in the Guardian and the Wall Street Journal, state that the American troops once even searched the house where he was hiding but failed they could not find the secret room which was built for him where he was in hiding. The US had $10m bounty on Omar’s head after the 9/11 terror attacks.
The US had maintained that just like al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, Omar was also in hiding in Pakistan.
The findings are part of a book written by Dutch journalist Bette Dam who has been reporting from Afghanistan since 2006. He worked on the biography – Searching for an Enemy – for more than five years which was published in Dutch last month. Its summary were published in English by the newly launched Zomia thinktank.
The report quotes Jabbar Omari who served as bodyguard to Omar after 2001.
In the initial years, Omar is said to have lived in the regional capital Qalat which was within walking distance of the Afghan governor’s compound, the area later chosen to house the main US base Lagman.
Omar reportedly stayed at Omari’s former driver’s house. It was a small house with a courtyard and adobe home which was concealed behind high walls. In this small house was a secret room in the corner angle of the L-shaped residential building. The entrance of this secret room was hidden behind what looked like a high cupboard on the wall.
As per the report, the US forces came close to finding Omar twice. Once when Omar was in the courtyard, they saw US soldiers nearby and hid behind a high pile of firewood. In a relief for Omar, the soldiers left without entering the courtyard .
The second close shave was when the US troops searched the house. They were unable to find the concealed entrance to the secret room where he hid.
Amid Indo-Pak tension, Navy deployed nuclear submarines, aircraft carrier
New Delhi: Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, nuclear submarine Chakra, 60 ships and nearly 80 aircraft were put on operational deployment by the Indian Navy in the North Arabian sea in the wake of escalating tensions between India and Pakistan following the Pulwama terror attack, officials said.
They said the naval assets were part of a mega exercise but they transited from the area of the drill for operational deployment soon after the February 14 Pulwama terror attack that increased tensions between Pakistan and India.
At a tri-services press conference on February 28, the Indian Navy said it was in a high state of readiness to “deter, prevent and defeat” any “misadventure” by Pakistan in the maritime domain, reflecting a sense of its preparedness as well as seriousness of the situation.
“The major combat units of the Indian Navy including the Carrier Battle Group with INS Vikramaditya, nuclear submarines and scores of other ships, submarines and aircraft swiftly transited from exercise to operational deployment mode as tensions between India and Pakistan escalated,” Navy Spokesperson Capt DK Sharma said.
The naval assets comprising 60 ships of the Indian Navy, 12 ships of the Indian Coast Guard, and 60 aircraft were part of the theatre level operational readiness exercise (TROPEX 19), which commenced on January 19 in Andaman and Nicobar islands, and was to be concluded on March 10.
However, the Jaish-e-Mohammed sponsored Pulwama attack on February 14 led to the rapid redeployment of ships, submarines and aircraft for operations in North Arabian sea, Capt Sharma said.
“The overwhelming superiority of Indian Navy in all three dimensions — on surface, under-sea and in air — forced the Pakistan Navy to remain deployed close to the Makran coast and not venture out in the open ocean,” he said.
Twelve days after the Pulwama attack, Indian fighter jets bombed the Jaish-e-Mohammed’s biggest training camp near Balakot deep inside Pakistan on February 26. Pakistan retaliated by attempting to target Indian military installations next day.
Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba will assess outcome of the TROPEX in the Kochi naval base on Monday.
The day-long review by Admiral Lanba with all operational commanders is intended to examine the conduct of the exercise and to assess the operational preparedness of the Indian Navy, said the Navy spokesperson.
Exercise Tropex was followed by the largest coastal defence drill — ‘Sea Vigil’ on January 22 and 23 with participation of 13 coastal states and union territories along with all maritime stakeholders.
‘Don’t have any grudge’: Husband of victim says he forgives NZ mosque gunman
Christchurch: A man whose wife was killed in the Christchurch attack as she rushed back into a mosque to rescue him said he harbours no hatred toward the gunman, insisting forgiveness is the best path forward.
“I would say to him ‘I love him as a person’,” Farid Ahmad told AFP. “I could not accept what he did. What he did was a wrong thing.”
Asked if he forgave the 28-year-old white supremacist suspect, he said: “Of course. The best thing is forgiveness, generosity, loving and caring, positivity.”
Husna Ahmad, 44, was killed at the Al Noor mosque — the first of two targeted by the gunman.
Fifty people, at least four of them women, were killed in the attack on the mosques where worshippers had gone for Friday prayers.
Ahmad and his wife emigrated from Bangladesh to New Zealand in 1990 and have one daughter.
When the shooting started, Husna helped several people escape from the women’s and children’s hall.
“She was screaming ‘come this way, hurry up’, and she took many children and ladies towards a safe garden,” Ahmad said.
“Then she was coming back for checking about me, because I was in a wheelchair, and as she was approaching the gate she was shot. She was busy saving lives, forgetting about herself.”
Ahmad, 59, who has been confined to a wheelchair since being hit by a drunk driver in 1998, believes he escaped the hail of bullets because the gunman was focused on other targets.
“This guy was shooting one person two, three times, probably that gave some time to us to move out… even the dead he was shooting them again.”
Ahmad, who was a butcher but now sells homeopathy products, did not see his wife when he left the mosque and only learned of her death after someone photographed her body.
“Her picture was out in the social media, so somebody showed me the picture and I identified quite easily.”
China says 13,000 Xinjiang ‘terrorists’ arrested since 2014
Beijing: China says it has arrested nearly 13,000 people it describes as terrorists in the traditionally Islamic region of Xinjiang since 2014 and broken up hundreds of “terrorist gangs.”
The figures were included in a government report on the situation in the restive northwestern territory that seeks to respond to growing criticism over the internment of an estimated 1 million members of the Uighur (WEE-gur) and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups.
China describes the camps as vocational training centers and says participation is voluntary. Former detainees say they were held in abusive conditions, forced to renounce Islam and swear allegiance to China’s ruling Communist Party.
The lengthy report issued Monday also says “law-based de-radicalization” in Xinjiang has curbed the rise and spread of religious extremism.