Jammu, Feb 12: The army said on Monday that a search operation is underway in Sunjwan camp in Jammu, as one militant was still holed up inside the compound, three days after an attack left at least nine people dead.
“One militant is still holed up inside the camp and efforts are on to neutralise him,” a defence ministry official was quoted by local media as having said.
Five soldiers, three militants and one civilian have lost their lives, so far, in the operation which erupted at 4.55 am on Saturday after an unknown number of fidayeen (suicide) militants, stormed the army camp on the outskirts of Jammu city.
Ten people, including Lt Col Rohit Solanki and Major Avijit Singh of 6th Mahar regiment, women and children, were also injured in the gun battle, as elite IAF commandos flanked by armoured vehicles continued their searches in the sprawling compound on the third day on Monday.
Reports said several blasts were heard inside the camp late on Sunday night, but the army said the blasts were the result of sanitisation operation and there was no fresh contact with militants.