Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

SUNDAY’S KILLINGS: Kashmir locks down in protest

Srinagar, May 07: A complete shutdown was observed across Kashmir Valley on Monday against the civilian and militant killings that took place in Srinagar and Shopian during the weekend.
After three militants and civilian were killed in Srinagar on Saturday, Sunday proved even bloodier as 10 people including five militants and five civilians were killed in an encounter in Shopian and clashes in several parts of south Kashmir.
Joint Hurriyat comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, on Sunday, had extended the strike till Monday and asked the people to march to the Civil Secretariat here, which opened as part of the durbar move.
Authorities, however, imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar to thwart the Hurriyat call for protests and dharna against the killings.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was detained soon after he tried to carry out the proposed march towards the Civil Secretariat.
Talking to media outside his Nigeen residence before being detained, Mirwaiz said, “Kashmir is witnessing the height of repression as all limits of atrocities have been crossed. People are craving for justice but all doors of justice stand closed to us. Kashmiris especially our youth who are our future are being targeted in fact they are being hounded by the government forces who armed with unbridled powers like AFSPA, DAA bear no accountability for killing them.”
“Since Indian forces launched operation all out, it has been a declaration of war against people of Kashmir and south Kashmir is bearing the biggest brunt of it where almost each day youth are being brazenly killed and critically injured and there seems to be no end to it. In yesterday’s massacre at Shopian, all those killed and injured have been hit by live ammunition above waist in head throat and even eyes with the intention to kill,” he added.
Meanwhile, all business establishments and educational institutions remained shut across the Valley.
Mobile internet services remained barred in Srinagar on third consecutive day on Monday after it was snapped following Chattabal gunfight in the heart of city that left three militants including a Srinagar resident dead.
A complete shutdown was observed in Ganderbal, the native district of the Assistant Professor Dr Rafi, who was one among the five militants killed in Shopian on Sunday.
Large number of people thronged his house and expressed sympathies with bereaved family. Locals alleged that police arrested five youth, all residents of Kangan when they were returning home after offering funeral prayers of the slain militant Rafi Ahmed.
Stone-pelting incidents occurred at few places in Ganderbal district.
Clashes erupt in Newa Pulwama where agitated youth pelted stones on Para-military troopers. Witnesses said that youth took to roads and pelted stones on 182 Battalion camp of CRPF. The troopers retaliated with tear-smoke shells. The clashes continued for hours.
Clashes also erupted at Kakapora Pulwama when youth stoned police station Kakapora.
Reports from South Kashmir’s Shopian said that district wore a deserted look while massive security arrangements were put in place to maintain law and order. Thousands of people participated in the last rites of two slain militants Sadam Paddar and Bilal Molvi at Heff Shermal where youth carried out a pro-freedom march.
According to reports shutdown was observed in all 10 districts of Kashmir Valley including Srinagar, Ganderbal, Budgam, Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama, Kupwara, Baramulla and Bandipora.
Jammu’s Banihal town also observed shutdown against Kashmir killings.
Reports said that a complete shutdown was observed in Banihal town of Jammu’s Ramban district over ‘killing spree’ in Kashmir Valley.
Reports added all the shops, other business establishment and schools remain closed in solidarity with the people of Valley.