1 min read

Soldier, militant killed in Pulwama gunfight

February 13, 2019

Srinagar, Feb 12: An army soldier and a militant were killed in a gunfight in Ratnipora area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Tuesday morning, police said.

A police spokesperson said that based on “credible inputs” about the presence of militants in Ratnipora area of Pulwama, a cordon and search operation was launched in the intervening night by police and other government forces in the area.

He said as the search was going on, the party was fired upon by the militants.

“The fire was retaliated leading to a gunfight,” the spokesperson said.

In the ensuing encounter, one militant was killed.

The slain was identified as Hilal Ahmad Rather, son of Ghulam Mohammad Rather, resident of Begambagh area in Kakapora, Pulwama.

Hilal, as per the spokesperson, was affiliated with militant outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.

In the encounter, two forces personnel also sustained gunshot injuries and were evacuated to hospital for medical attention. Of them, Havaldar Baljeet Singh succumbed to his injuries.

Baljeet, as per an army spokesperson, had joined the force in 2002. He belonged to village Dinger Majra of Karnal District, Haryana and is survived by his wife, daughter and son.

His mortal remains, as per the army spokesperson, were taken for last rites to his native place, where he would be laid to rest with full military honours.

Meanwhile, as per police, the slain militant Hilal had facilitated the escape of slain LeT militant commander Naveed Jatt on February 6, 2018 from SMHS hospital here.

Following his escape, Jatt was killed last year on November 28 in Chadoora area of Budgam district.

Soon after the helping Jatt to escape from the hospital, Rather, according to police sources, went missing and joined the militant ranks.

National Investigation Agency (NIA) probing the Jatt’s escape had indicted Rather along with four other local men in its charge sheet filed in Jammu’s special court on August 3, 2018.

Later in the day, thousands of mourners attended the last rites of the slain militant.

As the body of Hilal reached his native village Begambagh, thousands of mourners had already assembled to participate in his last rites.


Teen dies in mysterious blast in Kupwara

Srinagar, Feb 12: A teenage boy was killed in a mysterious blast at Anderhama area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Tuesday late afternoon.

Quoting official sources, news agency GNS said that the blast occurred inside a shop at around 3:55 pm at Anderhama village in Drugmulla.

In the blast, one teenager, Suhail Ahmad Wani (15) son of Sonaullah Wani died on the spot, the report said.

The blast, believed to be caused by an IED, damaged one shop as well and created panic in the entire village.

A police officer of the concerned police station also confirmed the death of the teenager and said that investigation has been launched into the incident.

SSP Kupwara Shriram Ambarkar told GNS that they are ascertaining the facts with regard to the incident. (GNS)

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Kashmir Monitor staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Discover more from The Kashmir Monitor

Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.

Don't miss a beat! The Kashmir Monitor delivers the latest Kashmir news, sports highlights from every league, political updates, entertainment buzz, and tech innovations happening right now.

Leave a Reply