Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Shootout on Srinagar-Baramulla highway: Two militants, CRPF man killed

highway scaled
File photo

Srinagar, Feb 5: Two militants were killed while another one was caught alive after they shot dead a paramilitary trooper in a brief gunfight on Srinagar-Baramulla highway in city outskirts on Wednesday.

Giving details about the encounter, Additional Director General CRPF Zulfikar Hassan in a joint press conference with DGP Dilbagh Singh and IGP Vijay Kumar, said a special checkpoint was established at Lawaypora in Srinagar outskirts after “intelligence input by the Jammu and Kashmir Police about possible militant attack”.


“At around 11 am near the checkpoint, our 73 battalion was attacked by scooter-borne three militants who were on way from Baramulla to Srinagar. They were stopped for not wearing helmet and their age profile warranted for their frisking,” he said.

“When they were asked to stop, one of the pillion riders got down and immediately took out a pistol and fired at the CRPF personnel at the checkpoint,” Hassan added.

A CRPF constable Rajeev Ranjan was hit in the head and later succumbed to his injuries.

“The joint naka by CRPF and J&K Police retaliated and two militants were killed. The third militant who also opened fire got injured and was shifted to hospital,” he said.

The slain militants were identified as Zia-Ur-Rehman, a Lashkar-e-Taiba militant from Budgam, and Khatib of Hizbul Mujahideen from Bijbehara, Anantnag.

Omar Fayaz of Srinagar, who police identified as ISJK militant, was caught alive during the encounter.

Hassan said they recovered a pistol and grenade from the slain militants. “It was a gallant act by CRPF and J&K police and these personnel will be appropriately rewarded,” he said.

Director General of Police, Dilbagh Singh said the operation was a part of an alert generated by the Jammu and Kashmir police.

“The group intended to carry out a major attack. One of the militants’ pistol was cocked and he immediately opened fire when intercepted by the police,” he said.

DGP said the police will further interrogate the injured militant after he recovers.

“Militant’s profile says that he can’t live with just one pistol. One of their associates is being treated and we may get some clues for more recoveries after his interrogation,” he said.

Inspector General of Police Vijay Kumar said many cases of “terror activities” have been registered against the slain militants.

“Zia-Ur-Rehman belonged to LeT and was a categorised militant. He was involved in many militancy related activities and police has registered several FIRs against him. All three militants from three different had coordinated to launch some attack on forces,” he said.