A patient bitten by rodents at a hospital in Telangana died a few days later. The patient admitted to the ICU at the MGM Hospital on Wednesday night died at the NIMS, Hyderabad, on Friday midnight.
Kadarla Srinivas (38), who was bitten by the rats two times at the MGM Hospital, was shifted to NIMS for better treatment following the orders of Minister Errabelli Dayakar Rao on Friday. However, he died at the NIMS while undergoing treatment, reports said.
Srinivas was said to be suffering from a serious liver, lung and kidney infection. Srinivas, a goldsmith by profession, was a native of Bheemaram in Hanamkonda.
He was bitten by rats on hands and legs, leading to bleeding injuries.
According to his family members, the rats had bitten him on the first day and they had brought this to the notice of the hospital staff, who gave treatment for rat
bites. According to them, the rats bit him again on Thursday morning.
“I was shocked to see blood all over the bed. Rats nibbled his fingers, arms and legs,” patient’s brother Srikant said. When he informed the hospital staff, they questioned him what he was doing.
“We had come here in the hope of some relief but his condition worsened with the loss of blood,” he said.
Some staff members told him that similar incidents happened in the past and they have given written complaints to higher-ups for necessary action.
He is survived by his wife. “We are in deep financial troubles. Since we lost the sole breadwinner, we are requesting the government to provide financial assistance to us,” said his wife, and other family members.
Taking a serious note of the rat biting incident, the government has already transferred MGM Hospital Superintendent Dr B Srinivas Rao and suspended two other doctors ‘holding them responsible’ for the incident.
On other hand, Minister Errabelli Dayakar Rao, who visited the MGM Hospital on Friday, said that they would also take stern action on the security agency which is also looking after the sanitation and upkeep of the hospital.