New Delhi: Former chief minister Sheila Dikshit was appointed as the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee president , days after Ajay Maken resigned from the post citing ill-health.
Dikshit’s appointment as the Delhi Congress president is being interpreted in the party as the party’s ploy to project her developmental works during her 15-year-old tenure as the city’s chief minister against the works done by BJP and AAP in their four and five year tenures respectively.
Making the announcement, the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in-charge of the party’s Delhi unit, PC Chacko, said that Ms Dikshit would be assisted by three working presidents — Devender Yadav, Haroon Yusuf, and Rajesh Lilothia.
This is also the first occasion when the party has appointed three working presidents to assist Ms Dikshit. It is to send a clear message to AAP and BJP that Congress is a strong contender in all the seven Lok Sabha seats in 2019 and that no one should take it lightly in the wake of the humiliating defeat it faced in the last Assembly polls.
Chacko, however, made it clear that there were no talks within the Delhi unit about any alliance with the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and that the party was fully prepared to contest the parliamentary election on its own.
Maken, who had worked as the parliamentary secretary and as a Cabinet minister with Ms Dikshit, congratulated her saying that under her leadership Congress would play the role of a powerful opposition against the governments in the national capital led by Arvind Kejriwal and at the Centre led by Narendra Modi.
Delhi Congress spokesperson Puja Bahari also congratulated Ms Dikshit, saying the party will be further strengthened under her experienced leadership and guidance.
Dikshit (80) has been a three-time chief minister of Delhi. She had to face a humiliating defeat against chief minister Arvind Kejriwal in the New Delhi Assembly seat, following which she said she would not contest any other election.
Dikshit’s appointment as the party’s Delhi unit chief is also being interpreted in the party as an effort to bring all warring factors under one roof to take on both AAP and BJP in the national capital.
After Congress faced humiliating defeat in the last Assembly polls, former city minister Arvinder Singh Lovely had to step down from the post of the party’s city head. Subsequently, the Congress leadership gave the charge to Mr Maken, who had been in-charge of the party’s communication unit. He had also represented the party twice in the Lok Sabha.
With the Congress leadership giving green signal to its media in-charge to contest the coming Lok Sabha elections, there are indications that Mr Maken may again be entrusted with the job of handling media at the central level.
31 dead, over 20 lakh affected as flood wreaks havoc in 12 districts of Bihar
PATNA: At least 31 people have died and over 20 lakh people have been affected due to flood which has has wreaked havoc in northern districts of Bihar. The flood has forced scores of people to abandon their submerged homes and run for safety, even as water levels of rivers in the area continue to rise.
The worst-affected districts are Araria, Kishanganj, Supaul, Darbhanga, Sheohar, Sitamarhi, East Champaran, Madhubani, and Muzaffarpur. A total of 10 people have died in Sitamarhi, 11 in Araria, four in Kishanganj, two in Madhubani, and one each in Sheohar and Darbhanga due to flood.
The Principal Secretary of Disaster Management Department, Pratyaya Amrit, said that the flood has affected 64 blocks in 12 districts across North Bihar. He added that several roads have broken due to flood which is making it tough for the administration to provide relief materials to the flood-hit people. He said that the government is running 350 community kitchens to provide food to the affected people.
State Water Resources Department spokesman Arvind Kumar Singh on Monday said the Bagmati, Kamala and Mahanandra rivers are flowing over the danger mark at various places. Government sources that 13 teams of National Disaster Relief Force and State Disaster Relief Force have been deployed to carry out relief and rescue operations in the affected districts.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday convened a meeting to review the flood situation and he also conducted the aerial survey of flood-affected areas of Darbhanga, Madhubani, Sheohar, Sitamarhi and East Champaran districts to review the situation.
Water Resources Minister Sanjay Jha, Chief Secretary Deepak Kumar, Additional Chief Secretary (Water Resources department) Arun Kumar and Disaster Management Department Principal Secretary Pratyaya Amrit accompanied Kumar during the aerial survey. During the meeting, the Bihar chief minister instructed the government officials to remain on high alert and ensure that flood-hit people are getting proper facilities at the camps set up by the state government.
Several control rooms have been set by the state government in affected districts to help the people who are affected by the flood.
Meanwhile, Rashtriya Lok Samta Party (RLSP) chief Upendra Kushwaha has slammed Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, terming the aerial survey as an annual show of pretence. He said that instead of reviewing the situation by sitting in an aircraft, the chief minister should take measures to ensure that the situation does not get repeated. Kushwaha further alleged that the funds meant for such work were embezzled and the government had failed in its duty to ensure that people did not get affected by floods.
It is feared that the situation would remain grim for few more days as Patna Meteorological Centre has forecast rain with thunderstorm at several places in the state in the next four days.
Deported from UAE in terror case, 14 men flown to Chennai by NIA
New Delhi: Fourteen persons, deported from the United Arab Emirates and apprehended by the National Investigation Agency for suspected association with men linked to an alleged terror outfit, were flown from New Delhi to Chennai on a special flight.
It is learnt that the men were produced before a NIA court which granted their custody to the agency. Sources claimed that the men — they were said to be from Chennai, Tirunelveli, Theni, Nagapattinam and Ramanathapuram — were members of Wahdat-e-Islami Hind, a religious organisation in Tamil Nadu.
They were deported after intelligence agencies received credible inputs that they had been in touch with individuals in Tamil Nadu who have now been placed under arrest by the NIA for suspected links to alleged terror outfit Ansarulla.
On Saturday, the NIA searched premises linked to three individuals in connection with its probe into activities of Ansarulla. One among them was Chennai resident Syed Bukhari, president of the Wahdat-e-Islami Hind. On Sunday, the NIA arrested two of the three individuals — Hassan Ali
Yunusmaricar and Harish Mohammed, both from Nagapattinam — “based on incriminating facts revealed during searches and subsequent investigations”. Along with Bukhari, the two men are already accused in a NIA case registered on July 9 against Ansarulla.
The Wahdat-e-Islami Hind has maintained it is a religious organisation with no connection to radical Islam. Established in 2009 in Chennai as a religious organisation, it had earlier denied links to the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
While booking Bukhari and his associates, the NIA, in a statement, said they had been charged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act “based on credible information received that the accused persons, while being within and beyond India, had conspired and conducted consequent preparations to wage war against the Government of India by forming the terrorist gang Ansarulla”.
The NIA claimed that it had “learnt that the accused persons and their associates had collected funds and made preparations to carry out terrorist attacks in India, with the intention of establishing Islamic rule in India”.
During the searches Saturday, the NIA claimed to have seized nine mobile phones,15 SIM cards, seven memory cards, three laptops, five hard disks, six pen drives, two tablets and three CDs/DVDs besides documents including magazines, banners, notices, posters and books.
If Navjot does not want to do his job, there’s nothing I can do: Amarinder
New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh took a jibe at Navjot Singh Sidhu and said that if he was unwilling to discharge his duties as a minister, there was nothing he could do about it.
The Punjab chief minister asserted that Sidhu was given a new portfolio after much deliberation and instead of accepting his new portfolio, he decided to shun the work in the middle of the crucial paddy season.
“If Sidhu doesn’t want to do the job, there is nothing I can do about it,” said Captain Amarinder, questioning how a soldier could refuse a job assigned by the General. There has to be some discipline in the government if it is to function effectively, added Amarinder Singh.
Asked if Sidhu had got in touch with him to resolve the issues, the Punjab CM said there was no need for it. “I do not have any issues with him. If Sidhu has any issues with me, you’ll have to ask him about them,” he added.
Singh, however, noted that he did not see any harm in Sidhu’s decision to send his resignation papers to the Congress president. The cabinet was decided in consultation with the Congress high command so there was nothing wrong in Sidhu’s decision to send his resignation to the party president, said the Chief Minister. He was talking informally to reporters at Parliament House after a courtesy call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Punjab chief minister said that he came to meet PM Modi since he had not met him so far during the latter’s second term. However, he took the opportunity to discuss the 550th birth anniversary celebrations of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji. The prime minister confirmed his participation in the mega event and assured of all possible help to make the programme a grand success, befitting the historic occasion, said Singh.
The legacy issue of the Rs 31,000 crore food debt also came up for discussion and the prime minister said that he was aware of the matter, said Punjab CM.
The Punjab CM said that the portfolios of 13 of the 17 ministers in his cabinet were reshuffled after the recently held Lok Sabha election and Sidhu was the only member who had problems with his new portfolio. The reshuffle was decided on the basis of the performance of the ministers and Sidhu should have accepted his new department, he stressed.
It is to be noted that Sidhu was given the crucial Power Ministry after the reshuffle and according to Singh the portfolio was particularly important at this time in view of the paddy season, from June to October. With many parts of Punjab not receiving adequate rainfall, the power situation was critical, requiring day to the day monitoring, said the Chief Minister, adding that he was himself doing this job now.
Singh said that he was unhappy with the statements made by Sidhu and his wife regarding the latter’s candidature for the parliamentary elections. He clarified that he had never opposed Sidhu’s wife’s candidature and had suggested she should contest from Bathinda but the couple rejected the offer.
Jadhav Case: ICJ suspends death sentence, grants consular access to India
The International Court of Justice on Wednesday announced its ruling in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case. Ruling in India’s favour, the...
India, China exercising restraint in Doklam: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Speaking in Lok Sabha on the current state of relations with China, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said...
Militant killed in Sopore gunfight
Baramulla, July 17 : A militant was killed after a gunfight broke out between militants and government forces in Gund...
Darshan at Amarnath breaks last 4-year record
Srinagar: With over two lakh pilgrims performing the Amarnath Yatra in the past 16 days, officials said it was the...
Hafiz Saeed arrested in Lahore, sent to judicial custody: Report
Jamatud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed was arrested on Wednesday on his way from Lahore to Gujranwala Reuters quoted a...
US bans Myanmar army chief Min Aung over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
Washington, July 17: The United States has banned visits by Myanmar’s army chief and three other top officers due to...
K’taka Speaker cannot be forced to take a decision within a time frame: SC
New Delhi, July 17: The Supreme Court on Wednesday said that the Karnataka Speaker cannot be forced to take a...
Hanuman Chalisa recited on UP road to oppose namaaz on streets
New Delhi, July 17: The HYV men said that they would continue to hold recitation of “Hanuman Chalisa” till the...
Don’t sacrifice cow on Eid al-Adha: Telangana minister urges Muslims
Telangana Home Minister Mahmood Ali has urged members of Muslim community to refrain from sacrificing cows on the occasion of...
Mumbai building collapse: Death toll mounts to 13, 9 injured
Mumbai, July 17: The death toll in the Dongri building collapse incident that took place has now mounted to 13,...
Kathua case: HC to hear death plea on Thursday
Chandigarh, July 17: Sensing the gravity of the matter, the Punjab and Haryana High Court here on Wednesday decided to...
Khalil Bandh resigns from PDP
Founding PDP member Mohammed Khalil Bandh on Wednesday resigned from the primary membership of the party, saying it had “unpended”...
Gunfight starts in Sopore village
Baramulla, July 17 : Gunfight rages between militants and government forces in Gund Brath area of Sopore in north Kashmir’s...