Connect with us

News

Salahuddin’s son sent to 30-day judicial custody

Avatar

Published

🕒

on

IST

New Delhi, Sep 10: A Delhi court Monday sent the second son of Syed Salahuddin, the chief of the militant outfit Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, to judicial custody in connection with a 2011 terror funding case for allegedly receiving money from his father.

District Judge Poonam A Bamba sent 48-year-old Syed Shakeel to custody after he was produced before it on expiry of his NIA custody granted earlier.

The second son of Salahuddin, was arrested on August 30 by the NIA in connection with the terror funding case.

 

The NIA officials, accompanied by the state police and CRPF, had arrested Shakeel at the Rambagh locality in Srinagar when he was on his way to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Science, where he works as a senior laboratory assistant.

He was then brought to the national capital and produced before the court.

Shakeel is the eldest son of Salahuddin who has been arrested by the NIA in connection with the case. Earlier this year, his other son, Syed Shahid, who was working in the agricultural department of the Jammu and Kashmir government, was also arrested in the same case.

The probe agency had claimed that during its investigation, the involvement of Shakeel had surfaced in raising, receiving and collecting funds from the operatives of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, including those from Saudi Arabia.

It had also claimed that Shakeel had received money through the American financial services, Western Union, several times, which were sent by absconding but chargesheeted accused Aijaz Ahmad Bhat alias Aijaz Maqbool Bhat.

The case, registered by the NIA in April 2011, relates to the money transfers from Pakistan to Jammu and Kashmir through hawala channels via Delhi, which the agency claims was used in funding terrorism and secessionist activities.

The NIA has so far filed two charge sheets against six people including G M Bhat, a close aide of pro-freedom leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mohammed Siddiq Ganai, Ghulam Jeelani Liloo and Farooq Ahmed Dagga. All four are in judicial custody.

Two others — Mohammed Maqbool Pandit and Bhat — were also charge sheeted by the NIA but they are absconding and an Interpol Red Corner notice has been issued against them.

In this case so far, three accused persons Mohammad Sidiq Ganai, Ghulam Jeelani Liloo and Farooq Ahmed Dagga have been convicted after they pleaded guilty.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

News

As long as BJP exists, Kashmir will be ours: Amit Shah

Press Trust of India

Published

on

Tasgaon (Maha), Apr 17: Kashmir is an integral part of India and it would continue to remain so as long as the BJP exists, party president Amit Shah said here Wednesday.

Shah’s remarks came at a poll rally, in response to National Conference leader Omar Abdullah’s recent suggestion of having a separate prime minister for Kashmir.

“No one can take away Kashmir from us. As long as the BJP exists, Kashmir will continue to be an integral part of India,” Shah told the rally in western Maharashtra.

 

“We will never allow two prime ministers in India,” Shah said. The Congress wants to separate Kashmir from India, he added.

Abdullah’s comment that Jammu and Kashmir bargained for a separate Prime Minister and President and hopefully they would have it, has also drawn a strong response from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who demanded during a series of poll rallies that the Congress explain its ally’s comment.

“India is the land of Shivaji Maharaj and its security is responsibility of us all,” Shah said.

Referring to cross-border militancy emanating from Pakistan, Shah said,” If there is a goli (bullet) from there, India will send a gola (bomb) from here.”

Militants infiltrating in India will be searched and killed, he said.

“Prime Minister Narednra Modi worked to make the country safe. Through Balakot air strike, we avenged the deaths of our soldiers,” he said.

“The chant of ‘Phir ek baar Modi sarkar’ is heard from all corners of the country now,” the BJP chief said.

Shah also targeted the Congress-NCP combine which was in power in Maharashtra for 15 consecutive years till 2014, when the BJP wrested power from it.

“The Congress relegated Maharashtra on development front, while the BJP brought back the state on the path of development,” he said.

Five generations of Congress ruled the country but did nothing for India, he said.

Continue Reading

News

‘One vote’ made surgical, air strikes possible: Modi

Press Trust of India

Published

on

Bhatapara, Apr 17: Amid claims of “misusing” the armed forces for electoral gain, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said the strength of “one vote” had enabled the surgical strike and air strike in Pakistan.

Addressing a poll rally here in Chhattisgarh, Modi said the India of today carries out surgical and air strikes across the border and shoots down satellite in space due to the strength of “one vote” of the people.

The Election Commission of India (EC) last week sought a report from poll officials in Maharashtra after Modi’s remarks at a rally in Latur, where he asked first-time voters to dedicate their vote to those who carried out the Balakot air strike.

 

The report was sought in the context of an EC advisory issued last month asking parties to desist from indulging in political propaganda involving actions of the armed forces.

Modi also stepped up attack on Congress chief Rahul Gandhi, saying it was the mindset of the “sultanate” of the “Naamdar” to abuse the deprived and treat them as slaves.

Modi’s barb came a day after Gandhi made the “how come all Modis are thieves” remark.

Modi attributed Gandhi’s comment to frustration among the Congress and its “Mahamilvati” allies caused by the “BJP wave” being witnessed across the country.

“These people are crossing limits daily. According to them, anyone whose name is Modi is a thief. What kind of politics is this? They have labelled a whole community as thieves only to get some applause, just to insult your ‘chowkidar’,” Modi said.

“I have a question. Why all the thieves have Modi in their names whether be it Nirav Modi, Lalit Modi and Narendra Modi? We don’t know how many more such Modis will come out,” Gandhi had said, addressing a rally in Maharashtra on Monday.

“The Congress and its Mahamilavati allies are unable to sleep during night. Now they are abusing me in frustration, are insulting me. The voters of India are seeing this,” Modi said.

“It is naamdar’s sultanate mindset which sneers at the exploited, deprived and treats them as slaves,” he said.

The Congress labelled honest tax-payers as selfish, Modi said. The naamdars are faced with cases of income tax theft of crores of rupees, he added.

“They are having fun after committing scam following land allotment to bring out a newspaper…they are out on bail,” Modi said, without naming the National Herald case.

“They seek commission in deals relating to national security,” Modi said, in a veiled reference to the Bofors scam, in which late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s name was dragged by the opposition.

Continue Reading

News

FIR lodged against army for thrashing SDM

Global News Service

Published

on

Srinagar, Apr 17: Police on Wednesday filed an FIR against army for allegedly thrashing Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) and other government officials in Qazigund area of south Kashmir yesterday.

Confirming it, a senior police officer said that the case under FIR number 61 /2019 under section 323, 341 RPC has been registered in police station Qazigund in connection with the incident which took place at Dalwach Crossing on Srinagar-Jammu highway on Tuesday afternoon.

The filing of FIR follows an application by the SDM Dooru who provided all the facts regarding the incident. In his application, the SDM Dooru has stated that he was “dragged by the collar, kicked and abused” by Army personnel as he tried to save his driver from their assault on the Srinagar-Jammu highway.

 

The army personnel removed safety locks of their weapons and aimed guns at us, threatening to kill us and it was only after the Deputy Commissioner Anantnag reached the spot that “we were set free,” SDM Dooru wrote in a letter to Station House Officer Qazigund.

“It is requested that FIR be lodged against the security personnel under the relevant provisions of law for manhandling, intimidating and resorting to violence against the undersigned and my officials and obstructing us from performing our official duties including that of election duties,” he said.

“Today on 16th April  2019 as per the directions of worthy deputy commissioner Anantnag to reach Vessu Qazigund for resolving matter of traffic/truck congestion on national highway at 10:40 AM I along with my team of officials were coming from Dooru via Ujroo Crossing in a government vehicle (JK0-3G3850 ),” the official said.

He said the army personnel deployed on the “national highway had stopped all the civilian traffic” despite Tuesday having been declared a restricted day for army convoys in a recent government order. “After introducing myself to the army personnel at Ujroo we were allowed to move towards Vessu but at Dalwach Crossing near under construction bridge, we were again stopped by some army personnel and asked not to proceed forward unless the Army convoy passes/ends. Accordingly, my driver stopped the vehicle and we were on halt,” he said.

Despite this, the SDM said, one of the army personnel Viney Kumar beat his driver ruthlessly besides damaging the government vehicle.

The SDM said he tried to intervene, pleading “that I am Sub Divisional Magistrate Dooru and I have been called by District Magistrate who is waiting for me at Vessu to identify parking spaces for halted trucks in order to make the National Highway free from obstructions so that both the security  and civilian vehicles have a hustle  free travel.”

He said he told the Army personnel that he also had to visit some polling stations in the area on “my way back and also the Storage  Room to be created at Govt. Degree College Dooru for the storage of EVMs.”

“Also I was supposed to visit the cafeteria at Verinag to inspect the Training Sessions of the Presiding Officers of Dooru Constituency.”

However, the SDM alleged, that the army men grabbed him by the “collar, abused and dragged (me)upto about 20 meters” and thrashed him at gunpoint.

“My cell phone and driver’s cell phone were snatched and broken into pieces Further, the said Army  man with other two army men got my other employees down from the vehicle and thrashed them ruthlessly and their cell phones were also snatched and damaged.”

He said, “all of us were taken hostage on gunpoint for about half an hour and our vehicle and other belongings were searched, snatched and damaged and all the data about the election was deleted.”

Continue Reading