Connect with us

International

Rohingya Muslims subjected to systematic massacre, rape in Myanmar: Rights group

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

Dhaka :An international group of medical experts says evidence collected from Rohingya Muslims’ accounts proves that the highly-persecuted minority is subjected to systematic massacre and rape in Myanmar.
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) said in a report on Friday that the refugees’ accounts of being shot, hacked and injured by explosives were supported by forensic evidence.
The US-based NGO, which investigates mass atrocities globally, added that the report was based on the findings its physicians recorded after they examined survivors in refugee camps in Bangladesh.
The detailed report mainly focused on refugees from the village of Chut Pyin in Myanmar where security forces, according to survivors and inhabitants of neighboring rural areas, fired on civilians, raped women and burned homes. The PHR report estimates that hundreds of people were killed in the village.
“The evidence we’ve collected from our field investigations, and the forensic evidence in particular, indicate that a large-scale and well-coordinated attack was perpetrated on the civilians, particularly the Rohingya civilians, living in Chut Pyin on the afternoon of August 27th last year – almost a year ago – that involved the use of guns, machetes, multiple types of weapons, against women, children and men who lived in that village,” said Homer Venters, the PHR director of programs.
Rohingya refugees reaching Bangladesh say violence persists against them in Myanmar and the overall environment remains “menacing” for the Muslim minority.
Rohingya Muslims previously based in Rakhine were subjected to a campaign of killings, rape, and arson attacks by the military backed by the country’s majority Buddhist extremists in what the UN has described as “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing.”
The brutal campaign has forced some 700,000 Rohingya to flee their homeland since August 2017 and seek refuge in Bangladesh. Many of the displaced Rohingya are either living in squalid camps or just across the border in a plot of land known as the “no man’s land.”
“The fact that so many of these children have multiple types of injuries, and that they’ve been exposed in many cases to physical violence and sexual violence, really puts the lie to this notion that this is any kind of anti-terror campaign”, as the Myanmarese military claimed to be, Venters further said, adding that the incident should be investigated as a crime against humanity.
The Rohingya, who have lived in Myanmar for generations, are denied citizenship and are branded illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, which likewise denies them citizenship.
Their former communities in Myanmar have been razed and Buddhists have been shuttled and settled there in newly-built structures to repopulate the area.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

51 dead as rainstorm lashes South Africa

Agencies

Published

on

Durban: South African authorities said that at least 51 people were killed, including two Zambian minors aged six and nine, after a rainstorm lashed the provinces of Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal here.

Scores have been wounded and more than 1,000 have been displaced, according to South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.

“We want to commend rescue services at all levels of government for their rapid response. Resources have been mobilized and our teams on the ground have saved lives. More than 1000 people have been displaced and the government is providing shelter and support to those in need,” he tweeted.

 

“We thank the communities and individuals who risked their own lives to save loved ones, neighbours or strangers. We also thank the NGOs who are helping those in need by providing shelter, food and ablution facilities. I’ll be going to EC to assess the situation there as well,” he added.

The city of Durban was amongst the most affected areas, which faced flash floods and rainstorm.

The two Zambian children lost their lives after the roof of the house they were sleeping in collapsed, reports Xinhua. Their father sustained injuries and is currently receiving treatment, according to the Zambian embassy in South Africa.

Continue Reading

International

Sri Lanka troops join hunt for bomb attack suspects

Agencies

Published

on

Colombo: Sri Lanka deployed thousands of additional troops countrywide overnight to help police hunt for suspects in the Easter Sunday suicide blasts that killed nearly 360 people, a spokesman said on Thursday.

Brigadier Sumith Atapattu said the army increased its deployment by 1,300 to 6,300, with the navy and airforce also deploying 2,000 more personnel.

“We are armed with powers to search, seize, arrest and detain under emergency regulations,” Atapattu told AFP.

 

“We are involved in static guard duties, patrolling and helping with cordon-and-search operations.”

The government also announced a ban on all drone flights and said licences issued to all commercial operators were suspended with immediate effect.

Police said they arrested another 16 suspects overnight with alleged ties to the National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ) extremist group accused of the blasts at three churches and three luxury hotels.

Police said about 75 people were now being interrogated in connection with the deadliest attack against civilians in the country’s history.

Sri Lankan authorities are also investigating a security failure to act on prior information about the impending Easter bombings by the NTJ.

President Maithripala Sirisena, who is also the minister of defence and law and order, on Tuesday vowed a major security shake up with pledges to remove the heads of the police and armed forces “within 24 hours”, but there were no changes by Thursday morning.

Recriminations have flown since Sunday’s attacks and the country remained tense with many shops and offices closed and motorists staying off the roads.

Sirisena is due to meet with leaders of all political parties as well as religious leaders in two separate meetings on Thursday to discuss the situation.

Sunday’s bomb attacks were the first in the country since the Tamil insurgency ended almost 10 years ago in May 2009.

Continue Reading

International

Aafia Siddiqui does not want to return to Pakistan: FO

Agencies

Published

on

Islamabad: Dr Aafia Siddiqui “does not want to come back to Pakistan” and reports of her possible repatriation are “mere chatter”, according to Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal.

Dr Faisal, in an interview with Independent Urdu, said that “she (Dr Aafia) will not come back. She does not want to come back herself, as per the information I have.”
The FO spokesperson said that the only way the possibility of Dr Aafia’s return could arise is if Prime Minister Imran Khan and US President Donald Trump met in the future.

In that case, “the exchange of Aafia Siddiqui for Shakeel Afridi could come under discussion,” he added.

 

Dr Aafia’s sister Dr Fouzia contested the FO spokesperson statement, telling Independent Urdu that “if anyone says that Aafia herself does not want to come to Pakistan, it is completely untrue.” She also confirmed that the consulate office in Houston had met Aafia last month.

Dr Fouzia further said that “at one point it had seemed as if Aafia was going to come to Pakistan any moment.” She said that she had been reassured by the government that negotiations with the US were ongoing and that “there will be a good news between January and March, but now silence has set in again.”

“Aafia told me on the phone that she is ready to sign any document, and that she only wants to get out of jail somehow,” Dr Fouzia was quoted as saying.

It is pertinent to mention here that last year, Dr Aafia’s sister, Dr Fouzia, had requested Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi to take up the matter with the US.

The foreign minister had said that the issue of Dr Aafia’s repatriation was “being considered”, following which Consul General in Houston Aisha Farooqui had met Dr Aafia and urged the US to “respect her human and legal rights”.

When asked about Aasia Bibi, the Christian woman who was acquitted by the Supreme Court over blasphemy allegations last year, Dr Faisal said that “she is still in Pakistan but could leave soon”.

“It is inaccurate to say that she has already left,” he said. “She is at a safe location in Pakistan but when there is a court order in her favour, she should leave. In my opinion, she will leave soon.”

The FO spokesperson was also asked whether “the foreign policy is influenced by politics or other departments”.

Dr Faisal, in his response, maintained that the foreign policy is formed at the office of foreign affairs. “But the foreign policy is a combination of all policies, including financial, commercial and security issues,” he said. “This happens world over. A country’s security is linked with its foreign policy.”

In response to a question regarding the future of Pakistan- India relations, Dr Faisal said: “Pakistan has kept a positive attitude with India even in difficult times. Whatever new government is formed in India, Pakistan would like to move forward with peace talks.

“We wrote to the Indian prime minister in September 2018, and invited them for peace talks but have not received a response yet. Hopefully the newly elected government will reply to the letter.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News48 mins ago

Guv Admin says no to J&K assembly elections in June,EC may move date to Nov

Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir may not be held in June, a top government source has said, adding that...

Latest News53 mins ago

India skips BRI forum, Pakistan says CPEC to go ahead

Beijing, Apr 26: India on Friday skipped Beijing’s Belt and Road forum for a second time in protest against the...

Latest News2 hours ago

BSF trooper attempts suicide in Srinagar

SRINAGAR: A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper on Friday tried to commit suicide in Jammu and Kashmir’s Srinagar district, police...

Latest News2 hours ago

Punjabi pop singer Daler Mehndi joins BJP

New Delhi: Punjabi pop singer Daler Mehndi joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday. The singer joined the party...

Latest News2 hours ago

J&K govt orders transfer of three senior police officers

JAMMU: After obtaining mandatory permission from the Election Commission, the Jammu and Kashmir government on Friday ordered the transfer of...

Latest News2 hours ago

Article 370 must go: Baba Ramdev

New Delhi: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Friday supported BJP’s election manifesto and said that Article 370 must go. Article...

Latest News3 hours ago

Online helicopter booking from May 1 for Amarnath Yatra

Jammu, April 26: The online helicopter booking for the annual Amarnath Yatra will begin on May 1, according to an...

Latest News3 hours ago

Govt review service records of over 1,100 IAS officers to check ‘deadwood’

New Delhi: The service records of over 1,100 officers of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) have been reviewed by the...

Latest News3 hours ago

Allying with PDP was BJP’s ‘mahamilavat’ in Kashmir:PM Modi

New Delhi :Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to India Today Group editors and said that BJP’s alliance with PDP in...

Latest News3 hours ago

Anantnag, Bijbehara towns shut for second straight day

Srinagar: Anantnag and Bijbehara town in south Kashmir remained shut for the second straight day on Friday in wake of...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 966,132 other subscribers

Archives

April 2019
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
Advertisement