Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Restrictions across city give people tough time


Srinagar, Sep 27: Restrictions were imposed in parts of the city following the killing of 18-year-old civilian at Noorbagh here in the wee hours on Thursday.
Forces started a cordon and search operation at Baghwan Poora, Noorbagh, around 3 am after the inputs about the presence of militants.
However, no militant was later found or killed in the area.
Police imposed restrictions on the roads leading to Noorbagh including at Karanagar, Safa Kadal, Eidgah, Soura, Qamarwari, and Nawa Kadal.
Heavy deployment of forces was ensured in most old city areas to curb the public movement.
Consequently, the public suffered a lot of inconvenience.
A youth from Bemina said: “I suffered a lot of problems on my way to Lal Bazar. It took me more than two hours to reach there. I had to take several detours and finally take Rainawari-Dargah route to reach my destination.”
On the unrestricted routes, traffic mess—the outcome of the restrictions—gave people an equally tough time.
Traffic jams were seen at Dalgate, Khanyar, Rainawari, Saida Kadal, and Dargah.
An employee at Public Health Engineering Department, Ganderbal, said, “I took the secondary root from Rainawari to reach office, but there was traffic mess all around. All vehicles had to take this one unrestricted route.”
The link road between the SMHS Hospital and SK Institute of Medical Sciences was sealed off, with the government forces having placed barbed wires across the streets to prevent civilian movement.
A patient from Buchpora area, Shameema said, “I missed today’s appointment with my doctor at the SMHS Hospital, as I was not able to reach the hospital in time due to the restrictions.”
Ambulance driver, Rashid added: “I was carrying a patient to the SMHS Hospital, and it took me an hour to reach there from Soura. I was not allowed to follow the Eidgah road.”
Mobile internet in Srinagar district remained suspended till evening.