Powerful journalism on tap - Download The Kashmir Monitor app.

Ramadan ceasefire successful so far: DGP Vaid

Srinagar, May 22: Jammu and Kashmir Police Chief S P Vaid on Tuesday claimed that recent Ramadan ceasefire announced by Union government has been successful and the situation in south Kashmir has also eased.
Taking to a social networking site Twitter, DGP said: “The Ramadan ceasefire has been successful thus far. The initiative of Hon’ble PM has helped in general improvement in law & order. The situation especially in south Kashmir has eased & is serving as confidence Building Measure for families who want their boys to return back home (sic)”.
Earlier, all parties of Jammu and Kashmir meeting presided over by Chief Minister with one voice had advocated central Government to go for a unilateral ceasefire during the forthcoming Holy month of Ramadan and the ensuing Shri Amarnath Yatra.
On May 16, the Union government declared a conditional ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir during the holy month of Ramadan. It is important to isolate the forces that bring a bad name to Islam by resorting to mindless violence and terror, says Centre in a statement
The government expects everyone to cooperate in this initiative and help the Muslim brothers and sisters to observe Ramadan peacefully and without any difficulties, the statement added.
The Centre has asked the security forces to not launch operations in the region during the next thirty days.
Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti has been informed about the decision, the ministry of home affairs said.
“The Centre asks Security Forces not to launch operations in Jammu & Kashmir during the holy month of Ramadan. Decision taken to help the peace loving Muslims observe Ramadan in a peaceful environment,” HMO India wrote on twitter.
However, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti welcomed the Centre’s decision and said that the decision will help in “creating a peaceful and amicable environment for a sustainable dialogue”.
“I wholeheartedly welcome the Ramadan ceasefire and would like to thank Narendra Modi ji and Rajnath Singh ji for their personal intervention. My gratitude also to the leaders and parties who participated in the All Party Meeting and helped build consensus towards this announcement,” the CM said in a tweet.
Former chief minister of the state Omar Abdullah said that “if terrorists fail to respond to the ceasefire offer they will stand exposed as the “enemies of the people”.
“On the demand of all political parties (except the BJP, which had opposed it) the Centre has announced a unilateral ceasefire. Now if the militants don’t respond in kind they will stand exposed as the true enemies of the people,” Omar Abdullah said following the report of the ceasefire.
Omar in another tweet said: “Non-initiation of combat operations. It’s what they called it during the Vajpayee-Advani era as well but it’s still a unilateral ceasefire. A rose by any other name.”
National Conference president Farooq Abdullah said “it is a great step forward, I would like to congratulate Home Minister Rajnath Singh & PM Modi. This reminds me of Atal ji’s era when he announced a unilateral ceasefire. I welcome this.”