Connect with us

News

Rajnath blames fake news on social media for lynching incidents

Press Trust of India

Published

🕒

on

IST

New Delhi, July 19: The Centre on Thursday condemned the recent incidents of mob lynching saying it had advised the states to take stringent action against the culprits and asked social media service providers to install checks to stop spread of rumours and fake news.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh condemned the incidents and made a statement in the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour while responding to Congress leader KC Venugopal, who raised the issue of lynching, last week’s attack on Swami Agnivesh in Jharkhand and trolling of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
Singh said several people were killed in the lynching incidents, adding that it was a matter of grave concern for the government.
He said lynching happened because of rumours and unverified or fake news.
Observing that law and order was a state subject, Singh said the Centre could not remain silent on the issue.
“I have issued advisories to state governments in 2016 and 2018. We have asked social media service providers to install check. Such incidents are unfortunate. We have asked the chief ministers to take firm action against the culprits,” Singh said.
Raising the issue, Venugopal regretted that these mob-lynching and physical attacks on the people, including those with dissenting views, had become the order of the day and the government was maintaining a silence.
He said Union Minister Jayant Sinha had even garlanded some people who were allegedly involved in mob-lynching incidents.
“Is this the rule of the law? These are very serious issues. I request the government to secure the democratic environment of the country,” he said.
He also alleged that that the government was using investigating agencies to “target people”.
“I urge upon the government to make a law to prevent mob-lynching,” he said, advising ministers not to garland convicts.
Noisy scenes were witnessed during the discussion on the subject with some BJP members protesting against Venugopal’s speech, as Congress leaders Mallikarjun Kharge and Jyotiraditya Scindia were seen vociferously asking the Chair to allow the Congress MP to complete his submission, saying it was a serious matter concerning the nation.

 

Farooq Abdullah slams lynching of Muslims

 

Kupwara,July 19:Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah criticised lynching and killings of Muslims in India during a condolence meeting in Kupwara on Thursday.
“Some forces still exist in our state who do not want peace to return in Kashmir valley as their business runs in killings of the people,” said Abdullah.
Speaking on the problem of lynching and killings of Muslims in India, Abdullah said that “This was not the India we considered.”
Prioritising secularism in India, Abdullah stated, “India belongs to people of all religions, be it Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Christians.”
In the recent past, incidents of lynching of Muslims especially in Uttar Pradesh, had gained rapid notoriety.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

News

Tribunal serves notice to Jamaat-e-Islami

Press Trust of India

Published

on


Srinagar, Apr 19: The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal, constituted by the Centre, has issued a show cause notice to Jamaat-e-Islami Jammu Kashmir (JeI), which was banned by the government in February, asking it why the organisation cannot be declared as an unlawful association.

“A notice is hereby given under sub-section (2) of Section 4 of the Act (Unlawful Activities Prevention Act) and you are hereby called upon to show cause, within 30 days from the date of service of this notice, as to why your Association, declared as unlawful, be not adjudicated to be so and why an order confirming such declaration be not made under Section 4(3) of the Act,” said the notice issued by Registrar, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal, Lorren Bamniyal, to the JeI.

 

The notice was issued on April 5.

The Tribunal asked the Jamaat to file objections or reply affidavits, if any, before the next date of hearing of the Tribunal at the office of the Registrar.

“In case the objections/reply and the documents are in regional language, true English translation thereof be also attached. You may appear through a duly authorised person before the Tribunal on 20 May, 2019 at 3 PM in Court Room number 26 for further proceedings,” the notice said.

The Centre had constituted the tribunal headed by a Delhi High Court judge to decide whether there is sufficient cause for declaring the JeI as an unlawful association.

The Ministry of Home Affairs on March 23 had issued a notification which states that Justice Mukta Gupta would head the tribunal set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA).

The government in its February 28 notification had banned the JeI, saying it was of the opinion that the Jamaat is “in close touch with militant outfits” and is supporting “extremism and militancy” in Jammu and Kashmir and elsewhere.

It said the outfit claims “secession of a part of the Indian territory from the Union” and supporting terrorist and separatist groups fighting for this purpose.

The action came following the February 14 attack in Pulwama that killed over 40 CRPF personnel.

Continue Reading

News

Two militants killed in Rafiabad gunfight:Reports

Avatar

Published

on

Srinagar, Apr 19: Multiple gunshots were heard in Malpora Watergam area of Rafiabad in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Friday evening.

Sources said that at around 8:55 pm, unknown persons fired a volley of bullets in paddy fields in Malpora Watergam village of Rafiabad.

Sources said that a joint team of Army’s 32RR and Jammu and Kashmir Police’s SOG cordoned off the area in Malpora Watergam after credible inputs about presence of militants.

 

They said that as the forces laid the siege, gunshots were heard from the area.

SP Sopore Javid Iqbal said that “we are verifying the incident.”

He said that a cordon has been launched in the area.

Unconfirmed reports at the time of filing this report said that two militants were killed during the gunfight that ensued soon after.

Continue Reading

News

Budgam: NC worker of 4 decades stays away from polls

Firdous Hassan

Published

on

Srinagar, Apr 18: Outside a two-storey Government Girls Higher Secondary High School in Ichigam village of Budgam, a man donning a chequered pheran loudly quipped at every person entering the polling booth to cast his or her vote on Thursday.

He argued with them over the performance of their elected leaders in the past as agents of political parties tried hard to convince him to cast his vote or stay away from others who wanted to.

Ghulam Hassan, in his 60s, has been an avid supporter of National Conference (NC) at Ichigam for the last 40 years.   

 

Having worked hard over the years to lure voters for NC, Hassan, Thursday, was one among those who sidelined from the party and preferred not to vote.

He said the previous regimes failed to develop his area due to which he had decided to boycott and also not to “befool” people in this Lok Sabha election.

“It was the only option available with me. I have been supporting the party (NC) ever since I became eligible to caste vote. But it didn’t benefit me nor people of my area,” he said.

Hassan, who as per locals, would often engage himself in heated arguments with political rivals during elections, was dejected over the state of roads and growing unemployment in his village.

“I have two sons, who are sitting idle at home. Many students here have completed their higher studies and haven’t got a job. These politicians appear only during elections and forget their promises once they are elected,” he said.

Hassan said the idea of boycotting the election was way better than living with a hope of some relief from the politicians.

“Under these circumstances, it is better that you vote for a candidate who is trustworthy. But we are short of such candidates,” he said.

When agents attempted “tricking” him by saying his vote would secure Article 370 and 35-A, he replied, “Many among you have voted and let us see how your vote will benefit Kashmir,” he said.

Few metres away in another polling booth in Ichigam, Ghulam Muhammad Dar voiced similar concerns but said he voted after trusting the candidate for one last time.

“I have been casting my vote for the last 50 years and have seen how these politicians befool people. But this is going to be my last vote if the candidate didn’t work for the development and safeguarding special position of Kashmir,” he said.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,006,532 other subscribers

Archives

April 2019
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
Advertisement