Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced a Rs 20-trillion economic package to “make India self-reliant” and ready to “own the twentieth century”.
The move is aimed at undoing the devastating impact of the nationwide lockdown, first enforced on March 24 to contain the spread of coronavirus. The PM also said that a final decision on extending the nationwide lockdown would be taken on May 18.
“The economic package will focus on land, labour, liquidity and law. It will help small business, migrants, farmers,” said Modi in a televised address to the nation, a day after he told chief ministers of various states that the lockdown must be lifted gradually.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will announce details of the special economic package, close in value to 10 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP), in the next few days.
- Based on the suggestions by states, information related to lockdown 4 will be given to you before 18th May. We will fight Corona and we will move forward.
- Scientists say that Coronavirus will be a part of our lives for a very long time. But we can’t let our lives remain confined around Corona. We will wear masks and maintain social distancing but we will not let it affect us. So lockdown 4 will be in a new form with new rules.
- I announce a special economic package today. This will play an important role in the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’. The announcements made by the govt over COVID, decisions of RBI and today’s package totals to Rs 20 Lakh Crores. This is 10% of India’s GDP.
- In a world that is fighting life & death, India’s medicines today bring a new hope. With these steps, when India is being praised everywhere in the world, every Indian feels proud.
- When India speaks of self-reliance, it does not advocate for a self-centered system. In India’s self-reliance there is a concern for the whole world’s happiness, cooperation and peace.
- When the crisis started then not even a single PPE kit was manufactured in India, only a few N95 masks were available. Today 2 Lakh PPE kits and 2 Lakh N95 masks are manufactured in India daily.
- Today when the entire world is in crisis, we will have to further firm our resolve, Modi said.
- More than 42 lakh people from different countries have been infected by COVID-19, more than 2.75 lakh people have lost their lives due to the virus. In India too many families have lost their dear ones, I express my condolences to them, PM Modi said.
- We had never seen or heard about such a crisis ever before. This is definitely unimaginable for mankind. This was unprecedented. But humanity will not accept defeat from this virus. We have to not only protect ourselves but also move forward: PM Narendra Modi.
- Prime Minister Modi begins his address by offering condolences to those who lost their lives due to the the COVID-19 pandemic.
The last time the prime minister had addressed the nation was on April 14.