Mumbai: Kieron Pollard, who has become the first player to play 400 Twenty20 matches, on Monday said he celebrated the milestone by wearing the MI jersey with that number in the IPL lung opener.
Pollard has so far played 414 T20 games, in which he has scored 8,048 runs, with highest being 89 not out and has also taken 251 wickets.
Pollard’s fellow-West Indian all-rounder Dwayne Bravo also donned the CSK jersey with no 400 on it in the IPL lung-opener to celebrate his own landmark of 400 wickets in T20 games.
“It is just something that Bravo and I came up with. He is the first bowler in T20 cricket to take 400 wickets, and I am the only player so far to play 400 matches. At the young age of 30, being able to play 400 matches, I think that in itself is a milestone in a format (in which) none of us thought how much we would end up playing when we started our career in cricket. That was the reason (to wear those jerseys),” Pollard told reporters here.
Pollard was speaking after launching ‘AlphaBounce Beyond’, a running footwear by adidas, in THE presence of MI skipper Rohit Sharma.
“As he (Bravo) has said, in the next couple of games we are going back to our original numbers – that is 47 and 55,” he said.
The Trinidadian also said the feeling in the MI dressing room was one of confidence in spite of the one-wicket defeat in the league opener.
“I think the feeling is of confidence. There are a lot of young and exciting guys in that dressing room. I think that is what excites us the most as senior players who have been around for a while – the enthusiasm of the younger guys, that push to go ahead and compete with them.
“As you can see, in the first game the young guys really pushed us although we did not get over the line.
“Watching them perform, such as the young Ishan (Kishan), Mayank (Markande) and the Pandya brothers (Hardik and Krunal) as well, it shows that we have the enthusiasm. It is just a matter of building from there and hopefully change the momentum in the next game,” 30-year-old West Indian said.
He expressed hope that the defending champions would bounce back in the next game.
“I am sure, it was just the first game. These things happen in cricket. You try to get the best combinations first-up and as Rohit said we tend to start slow. In T20 cricket, in a new team, new faces, guys have to get accustomed to each other.
“Hopefully we will bounce back and you will see me bowl and bat along with lot many other things,” he signed off.
India’s I-League clubs propose unified 20-team top tier to include ISL franchises
Mumbai : India’s I-League clubs have proposed a road map for a unified 20-team league next season featuring both I-League clubs and Indian Super League franchises.
The move comes as six I-League clubs say they will only play in the impending Super Cup if the All India Football Federation (AIFF) addresses their concerns over the league restructuring.
The I-League clubs have been worried that the league will be relegated to the second tier of the domestic game next season and be replaced by the more marketing-driven and Reliance-backed Indian Super League, founded in 2013 and modelled after cricket’s IPL.
Newly crowned I-League champions Chennai City FC, Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Minerva Punjab, Aizawl FC, Gokulam Kerala, Real Kashmir FC, Churchill Brothers and NEROCA FC are behind the proposal of a merger of the concurrent leagues into a 20-team league.
They have approached the AIFF and president Praful Patel via a letter demanding assurances from Patel about next season’s league structure before committing to participate in the Super Cup.
“There will be 20 teams in the first division and a strong 16-team second division,” said Mohun Bagan director Debasish Dutta. “Every team will benefit and we have given a financial model so that it’s a sustainable project. Not like ISL (project) because they are suffering huge losses. We don’t want to lose ISL clubs, because they are supporting Indian football by investing money. They should stay!”
“We have handed the proposal with a covering letter. We are ready to play the Super Cup after the meeting and if at all it happens, the Super Cup should start from the qualifying round,” he continued.
Chennai City owner Rohit Ramesh said: “This is a good way to play as far as the sport is concerned. We aren’t omitting anybody, we want to play against everyone. But, it should be in a manner where the money we put in has to be got back in some time.”
The proposed league would run for nine months from September to May and include promotion and relegation from the lower division. The letter also outlined that the marketing would have to be done centrally and projected a growth in total sponsorship revenue up to 40,6 million euros (325 crores).
“The proposed 20 team revamped League, would have 380 matches,” read the letter. “We can take a conservative/practical approach and generate a total net sponsorship revenue to the tune of INR 325 crores (€40.6 million).”
AIFF president Patel to meet I-League clubs in April
Mumbai : The All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Praful Patel has informed the I-League clubs that he will hold a meeting with them between April 10 and April 15 Goal can confirm. A suitable venue of the meeting will be confirmed later.
Patel has also urged the clubs to come out of their decision to boycott the Super Cup 2019 and take part in the competition. He has assured the clubs that a decision can be taken after mutually discussing the issue.
Nine I-League clubs had earlier unanimously decided to pull out of the Super Cup citing unfair treatment meted out towards them by the Indian FA.
Minerva Punjab FC, Aizawl FC and Gokulam Kerala FC had walked out of the qualifiers of the Super Cup which were scheduled on March 14 and March 15 in Bhubaneswar.
The clubs recently conducted a meeting where they prepared a roadmap for Indian football and informed the AIFF they are ready to take part in the Super Cup only after a meeting with the President of the AIFF.
The league structure suggested by the I-League clubs was that of a ‘unified top division league’ including all the Indian Super League (ISL) clubs and I-League clubs.
It will be interesting to see if Patel’s letter to the clubs will now bridge the gap between the federation and the nine clubs.
Praful Patel is currently in Kyrgyzstan as a part of his delegation for the FIFA council meeting.
Opportunity for young guns to grab WC spots: Arthur
SHARJAH: Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur is confident new players will grab the opportunity to fill a few available places for the ICC World Cup 2019 through the five-match ODI series against Australia.
Pakistan have rested six players — captain Sarfraz Ahmed, Hasan Ali, Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Shadab Khan — to provide an opportunity to the other leading performers to stake a claim for the tournament to be held in England and Wales from May 30 to July 14.
Arthur believed it was a well-thought out and a sensible decision. “We designed this series for our players for the simple fact that we want to test our best bench players.
“There was planning, sometimes people think that its ad hoc. We want to test our bench-strength so that we could have a look at our final squad and combination. We know our major players for the World Cup.”
Openers Shan Masood and uncapped Abid Ali have been prolific scorers in domestic and ‘A’ series, while batsman Saad Ali scored more than 900 runs in the 2017-18 first-class season.
Paceman Mohammad Abbas is an established Test spearhead who has the knock of doing well in limited overs as well, while rookie 18-year-old Mohammad Hasnain has impressed with his pace in the recently-concluded HBL Pakistan Super League.
Umar Akmal has also been recalled after impressing with his match fitness in the PSL.
“After this series, we go to England and there we go with a very, very settled squad and the roles will be defined. We want to know where the squad stands. We felt that we have done everything possible to be the best possible prepared team for the World Cup,” Arthur remarked.
Pakistan also play five One-day Internationals against England before the 10-team mega event.
Arthur believes trying new players will help in long term. “For us, it isn’t so much about Australia, this is about us and those positions for the World Cup and the opportunity created for a lot of players because for us, we need to find who our players are for every position.
“If we could do that out of this series, then it would be good for us.
“To be honest, it’s a new squad. This is a series of opportunities. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work-out that a few positions are available for the World Cup. There are probably four available. [chief selector] Inzamam-ul-Haq and I have discussed that. So, these young players need to raise their hands up and try make those places their own. It’s an exciting time going into the World Cup.”
Arthur backed the decision to rest skipper Sarfraz Ahmed and five others.
Pak PM Imran says no room for ‘jihadi outfits, culture’ in Pakistan
Islamabad: There was no room for “jihadi outfits and jihadi culture” in Pakistan, Prime Minister Imran Khan has said amidst...
India boycotts Pak Day event as Kashmiri Hurriyat leaders invited
New Delhi: The government Friday decided to boycott the Pakistan National Day event to be held at its high commission...
Gautam Gambhir begins political innings with BJP, says ‘impressed by Modi’s vision’
Former Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir has joined the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday with weeks to go for the Lok...
Hajin gunfight: Two militants, minor killed, 2 Ak 47 recovered
Srinagar: One more militant and the minor who as per police officials was held hostage have been killed in Hajin...
Mirwaiz placed under house arrest ahead of protest call
Srinagar: Hurriyat (M) chairman and Kashmir’s chief cleric Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house detention on Friday morning. The...
New Zealand women don headscarves to support Muslims after shootings
CHRISTCHURCH: Women all over New Zealand put on headscarves on Friday to show solidarity with Muslims a week after 50...
Trump says US recognises Israeli control of Golan Heights
Washington: President Donald Trump said that it’s time for the United States to recognize Israel’s control over the disputed Golan...
Blast at Chinese chemical plant kills 47, injures 64
Beijing: A massive explosion at a pesticide plant in eastern China killed 44 people and injured more than 600, state...