LAHORE: Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed, expressing satisfaction at the national side’s preparations for the upcoming tour of Zimbabwe, said on Wednesday that the main priority is to take the same one-day squad to next year’s World Cup in England.
“We have a good blend of seniors and youngsters in the squad who are performing well and we are trying to rely on the same group of players for the World Cup,” said Sarfraz while talking to reporters after the final day of the three-day training camp at the Gaddafi Stadium was cancelled due to heavy overnight rains.
Pakistan are due to leave for Zimbabwe on Thursday where they will first compete in a tri-nation T20 tournament — that also includes Australia — from July 1 to 8.
‘No team in Twenty20 format should be considered weak’
Following the T20 series, Pakistan will play five One-day Internationals against Zimbabwe from July 13.
“We have fine young players such as Hasan Ali, Fakhar Zaman, Shadab Khan and Babar Azam and now with Haris Sohail in the team plus the experienced Shoaib Malik, we will try to rely on them in the lead-up to the World Cup,” Sarfraz remarked.
Under Sarfraz’s leadership, Pakistan currently tops the ICC T20 team rankings and had earlier also won the Champions Trophy last year in England where they outclassed India in the final.
The skipper expressed hope that Pakistan would continue their good run in the T20 format as well as in the ODI series.
“We are going to Zimbabwe after decent preparations with this short camp here in Lahore and we’ll have three more days to prepare in Zimbabwe before the tri-series begins. Insha’Allah we are pretty confident of coming back victorious,” Sarfraz added.
Commenting on the level of contest in the upcoming T20 series, the Pakistan captain said no side can be taken lightly in the shortest format.
“To be honest no team in this [T20] format should be considered weak and although the Australians are fielding a new-look side they know how to play T20 cricket.
“So the series will be keenly contested and good cricket is in the offing in Zimbabwe,” Sarfraz said.
Asked what would he be expecting on the upcoming trip, Sarfraz said he had toured Zimbabwe twice — in 2013 and 2015 — and found different kinds of pitches there.
“Currently the weather is cool in Zimbabwe and the match will start early at 10:00am in the morning with moisture in the pitch, it would be a big test for the side batting first,” he opined. “But in our case, the team is performing extremely well in both bowling and batting. We will use the better option in case of winning the toss.”
Sarfraz further said that the boys are united and this is one of the key reasons behind Pakistan’s excellent success rate in limited-overs cricket in recent times.
About his own performance, Sarfraz admitted he has not performed to expectations but said he always tries to give his best and to improve both his batting and keeping.
UEFA probe Ronaldo for ‘improper conduct’ over goal celebration
London : UEFA opened an investigation into Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal celebration after scoring a hat-trick in Juventus’ Champions League comeback win against Atletico Madrid last week.
European football’s governing body said Ronaldo was facing charges of “improper conduct” after he mimicked Diego Simeone’s crotch-grabbing gesture in last Tuesday’s 3-0 win that sent Juventus through 3-2 on aggregate.
After scoring the decisive penalty four minutes from time, Ronaldo turned towards the Atletico fans and replicated Simeone’s gesture after the Spaniards’ 2-0 first leg win by grasping his genitals and thrusting out his groin.
A decision will be taken by UEFA on March 21.
Juventus take on Dutch club Ajax in the Champions League quarter-finals over two legs, on April 10 in Amsterdam and April 16 in Turin.
Coach Massimiliano Allegri has said he is confident Ronaldo will not be fined or suspended.
“I think everyone celebrated their own way on the field and in the stands.
I saw nothing strange, just a celebration. There won’t be a ban,” said Allegri.
Simeone was fined 20,000 euros ($22,000) by UEFA for his gesture.
“He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character,” said the Argentinian coach.
Five-time Champions League winner Ronaldo is the record goal scorer in the European competition with 124 goals in 160 matches.
Sachin echoes Virat Kohli’s workload views
New Delhi: There cannot be a uniform structure for workload management during the Indian Premier League as each and every player will have different set of requirements, the legendary Sachin Tendulkar said .
There have been a lot of discussions about how the World Cup-bound players need to effectively manage their workload during a demanding tournament like the IPL, and the maestro has his own take on it.
“Preparation before the World Cup is different for each player and so their workload management will also be different,” Tendulkar said.
Tendulkar agreed with skipper Virat Kohli who recently said that it is up to the players to realise the kind of load they are taking as well as the form they are in. “To me, momentum is important. Every individual should be smart enough to assess if he needs to take a break or he needs to play games to stay in the thick of things. So the responsibility is on the individual to take a call,” said the world’s highest run-getter in Tests and One-day Internationals.
He then gave an example of how workload management will be different for different players. “As a pace bowler Jasprit Bumrah’s workload will be very different from a pure batsman like Virat Kohli and a wicket-keeper batsman like Mahendra Singh Dhoni. All these players have a lot of experience and they will certainly make the right call,” said Tendulkar, who is a mentor with IPL’s most popular franchise Mumbai Indians.
Tendulkar echoed what Kohli had said a couple of days earlier during a media interaction in Bengaluru. “If I’m able to play 10, 12 or 15 games, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the other guy can only play that many. My body might demand I play a certain number of games and I need to be smart about that and rest,” the Indian skipper had said.
“Someone else’s body might be more capable than mine or less, that is a very individual thing. And everyone wants to play the World Cup, so people will be smart about it because you don’t want to miss out on such a big event.”
Kohli had said that it is up to individual players to deal with the issue to keep their body fit and be in contention for a place in the World Cup-bound squad. “From a responsibility point of view, all the Indian players will have the responsibility during the IPL to keep a watch on their fitness and their workloads,” he said.
“And to continue the frame of mind we have created in the Indian team – strive towards excellence and improve every day. Each player will take this tournament as an opportunity to go to the World Cup in a good frame of mind,” he said.
Kerala Blasters sign Rahul KP
Mumbai : Kerala Blasters have wrapped up a deal to bring Indian Arrows forward Rahul Kannoly Praveen on board for the 2019-20 season, Goal has learnt.
The 19-year-old forward has become the fifth former India U-17 player to be roped in by Blasters after Dheeraj Singh, Mohammad Rakip, Nongdamba Naorem and Jeakson Singh.
Thrissur-born Rahul featured for Luis Norton de Matos’ Indian team in the U-17 World Cup held in India. He continued his development with AIFF’s Indian Arrows in the I-League and impressed in patches last season, scoring two goals in 17 appearances.
He has stepped up his game at Arrows this season under Floyd Pinto and contributed greatly to the team’s eighth-placed finish under the Indian head coach. He has three goals to his name this season.
Blessed with pace and dazzling feet, Rahul is good at taking on his opponent from wide areas and also has an eye for a pass. He was impressive against Gokulam Kerala and scored a terrific volley in the I-League match at Kozhikode earlier this season. He also featured in the Super Cup qualifier against Kerala Blasters as Indian Arrows won 2-0.
In what seems like a much-needed move after a disapponting season in the ISL, Kerala Blasters, under the new leadership of CEO Viren D’Silva, are off to a good start off the field and have added a promising local talent to the squad.
Mayawati won’t contest 2019 Lok Sabha polls
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati will not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha polls. “Our coaliation is doing good…I can...
Traffic on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway suspended due to inclement weather
JAMMU: The traffic on the strategic Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was suspended Wednesday as the high altitude areas of Jammu and...
Uri resident injured in Pak firing succumbs at SKIMS
BARAMULLA: A 32-year-old youth, who was critically injured in Pakistan firing at Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector on...
Don’t use places of worship for propaganda: EC to parties, religious leaders
New Delhi: The Election Commission asked political parties and religious leaders to refrain from using places of worship for propaganda...
‘Azaan’ to be broadcast nationally in solidarity with Muslims: NZ PM
Christchurch: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Wednesday said Azaan (the call to prayer) will be broadcast nationally along...
President Kovind appoints Justice PC Ghose as India’s first Lokpal
New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose as the first Lokpal of India. According to a...
Heavy snow accumulation may delay Zojilla re-opening
Sonamarg, Mar 20 : With Sonamarg-Zojilla road still closed since December, officials said the reopening of the road is likely...
Kashmir shuts against Awantipora teacher’s custodial death
Srinagar, Mar 20: A complete shutdown called by the JointHurriya against the custodial death of a private school teacher of...