Connect with us

International

Pakistan govt to file four cases on Nawaz Sharif

Agencies

Published

on

IST


Islamabad: Pakistan government is considering to file four new cases against former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Special assistant to the Prime Minister on Accountability, Mr Shahzad Akbar alleged the previous government misused public funds and authority and said Rs 340 million were illegally spent on air travels.

The government decided to refer four new cases of to the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for investigation.

Addressing a news conference with Special Assistant to PM on Media Affairs Iftikhar Durrani here, he said Sharif family misused public funds and authority, which caused irreparable loss to the national exchequer.

The special assistant said the PM’s plane was misused during the tenure of the previous government as Rs 340 million were illegally spent on air travels.

He said the daughter of former premier Maryam Nawaz used the PM’s aircraft illegally. He said former Punjab chief minister Shehbaz Sharif spent Ts 600 million on air travel.

Shahzad Akbar said the government will ask the NAB to hold independent investigation and we are going to hand over the record of PM’s House from 2014 to 2018 to the NAB.

He said the properties owned by Sharif family in London are also under scrutiny and its details have been sought from British government and the cases of misuse of funds in erecting a security fence around their Raiwind Palace, plundering funds allocated for entertainment and gifts.

He said the previous rulers had been using the taxpayers’ money lavishly. The budget of Chief Minister’s House was enhanced manifold during the years 2013-2018 with malafide intention, he added. He said the Assets Recovery Unit was in process of referring a case about the Sharif family’s new property unearthed in London to the NAB.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

US adds Pakistan, China to its blacklist for religious freedom violations

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: Pakistan, China and Saudi Arabia are among countries added to a US blacklist of nations that violate religious freedom, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said.

Pompeo said he has designated Pakistan, China, Saudi Arabia, Myanmar, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan as “Countries of Particular Concern” in a congressionally mandated annual report.

The development comes a year after the US State Department put Pakistan on a watchlist without legal consequences.

Continue Reading

International

Netanyahu threats Hezbollah with ‘unimaginable blows’

Agencies

Published

on

Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that the Lebanese Hezbollah militia will be dealt “unimaginable blows” if it resists Israel’s recent operation to destroy cross-border tunnels.

The remarks were made by Netayahu during a tour along the northern border, where the Israeli army has uncovered three Hezbollah tunnels crossing from southern Lebanon into Israeli territory, reports Xinhua.

“The most important thing is the readiness here for a much stronger response if Hezbollah makes a major mistake and decides to attack us or oppose our action,”

Netanyahu said, according to a statement released by his office.

“Hezbollah will be dealt unimaginable blows,” he said.

During the tour, Netanyahu, who is also Israel’s defence minister, held a security meeting with Israeli army’s Chief-of-Staff Gadi Eizenkot.

“We are systematically dismantling the tunnels,” he said, adding the operation will continue “as long as necessary.”

“We are carrying out exactly what we planned but we are ready for the unexpected. There is great firepower here,” he added.

Israel launched the “Northern Shield” operation on December 4 in order to locate and thwart the cross-border tunnels built by Hezbollah, a Shiite militia backed by Iran. Israel has claimed that Hezbollah plans to use the cross-border tunnels to infiltrate into Israel.

Israel and Hezbollah fought a month-long war in 2006 that ended in a ceasefire.

Continue Reading

International

100 injured in BD poll campaign violence

Agencies

Published

on

DHAKA: Bangladesh’s election campaign turned violent with scores injured at political rallies across the country, as police fired pellet guns into crowds and stick-wielding mobs attacked rival candidates.

Police said clashes broke out in at least seven major towns on just the second day of campaigning, injuring nearly 100 people who turned out to cheer the two major parties contesting the December 30 poll.

The unrest follows a crackdown on the Bangladesh Nationalist Party in recent weeks, with hundreds of supporters from the main opposition movement thrown behind bars before campaigning had even begun.

In Thakurgaon, a northern district, a motorcade for the BNP’s secretary general Fakhrul Islam Alamgir was set upon by a huge crowd swinging batons.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 977,388 other subscribers

Advertisement