Connect with us

International

Over 7 million Yemeni children face food insecurity: UNICEF

Agencies

Published

🕒

on

IST

United Nation : Over seven million children face food insecurity in Yemen and ending the country’s war will not save all of them, the UN children’s agency said.

“Today, 1.8 million children under the age of five are facing acute malnutrition, and 400,000 are affected by severe acute malnutrition,” said Geert Cappelaere, regional director of UNICEF.

On October 23, the UN said around 14 million people — half the population — in Yemen are facing “pre-famine conditions”.

 

When asked by AFP how many of these people are children, Cappelaere told AFP late on Wednesday “more than half”.

UNICEF later clarified that over seven million children face food insecurity, rather than the immediate threat of famine.

“In the last couple of years, we see the number of severely acute malnourished children stabilising”, Cappelaere said.

But “ending the war is not enough,” he added, referring to a more than three-year conflict that pits the government supported by a Saudi-led military coalition against Houthi rebels.

“What we need is to stop the war and (to create) a government mechanism that puts at the centre the people and children.

“The war is exacerbating the situation that was already bad before because of years of underdevelopment” in the Arab world’s poorest nation, Cappelaere said.

He welcomed a call by the UN on Wednesday to relaunch peace talks within a month.

He said efforts to come up with a solution in the next 30 days were “critical” to improving aid distribution and saving lives.

Cappelaere said that over 6,000 children have either been killed or sustained serious injuries since 2015. “These are the numbers we have been able to verify, but we can safely assume that the number is higher, much higher,” he said.

Saudi Arabia and its allies entered the war to bolster Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after the Iran-backed rebels took over the capital Sanaa.

Since 2015, more than 10,000 people have been killed and some 22 million — three quarters of the population — are in need of food aid, according to the UN.

Yemen’s government said on Thursday it was ready to re-start peace talks with Houthis, amid growing international pressure to end the years-long conflict.


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

International

Threats to US would mean Iran’s end, warns Trump

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: US President Donald Trump has asked Iran “never to threaten” the US and warned Tehran that if it wants a fight, it would be “the official end” of the Islamic nation.

“If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran,” Trump tweeted.

His tweets appeared to be a considerable shift in tone from the President’s brief remarks at the White House on May 16, when he responded “I hope not” after being asked whether the US and Iran were headed toward war, The Washington Post reported.

 

The White House has not officially responded to Trump’s tweets.

Trump issued his threat a few hours after the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, said on Sunday that Iran does not fear a war but the US does, reports Efe news.

Salami said in a speech at a military ceremony broadcast on state-run Iranian TV that Tehran was not seeking war but did not fear it either, in contrast to the US, which is afraid of war and does not have the willpower to engage in one.

He also warned that the entire Middle East could become “a powder keg” for Washington.

Last week, the US decided to deploy to the Persian Gulf the amphibious assault ship USS Arlington, Patriot missiles, the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and assorted warplanes, including bombers, after claiming that it had detected unspecified “indications” of Iranian plans to attack US forces in the Middle East.

In recent weeks, concern has been increasing that National Security Adviser John Bolton, a long-time hawk on Iran who was instrumental in instigating the invasion of Iraq under George W. Bush, might be working to edge the administration closer to some kind of military action against Tehran.

Last year, prior to bringing Bolton into the administration as one of his top advisers, Trump withdrew the US from the Iran nuclear deal. More recently, Trump has tightened economic sanctions against the Tehran regime and his administration says it has built up the US military presence in the region.

Continue Reading

International

White House unveils 1st part of Middle East peace plan

Agencies

Published

on

Washington: The White House has unveiled the first part of its Middle East peace proposal, which is being deemed as an economic “workshop” to encourage investing capital in the West Bank, Gaza, and the region, a senior administration official told CNN.

The White House announced on Sunday that the workshop will take place in Manama, Bahrain, on June 25 and 26, bringing together finance ministers with global and regional business leaders.

The effort is being headed by Jared Kushner, the senior White House adviser and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, and White House Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt, who have spent years developing the proposal along with the much stickier political component, which officials said would be announced later in the year.

 

Kushner told CNN that “people are letting their grandfathers’ conflict destroy their children’s futures. This will present an exciting, realistic and viable pathway forward that does not currently exist”.

The senior administration official said that the plan will discuss four major components: infrastructure; industry; empowering and investing in people; and governance reforms “to make the area as investible as possible”.

The economic plan will also include a “combination of grant money, low interest loans and then also private capital”, the official said.

The workshop however, will avoid political issues such as whether the Palestinians will get their own state; the status of Jerusalem; measures Israel takes in the name of security; and what should happen with Palestinians and their descendants who fled or were expelled from Israel around the time of the state’s creation in 1948, he added.

Finance ministers, but not foreign ministers, will be invited along with delegations of business leaders.

However, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’ spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, told CNN that the plan was “futile”.

“Any economic plan without political horizons will lead nowhere… Palestinians will not accept any proposals which do not include a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

The decision on whether or not Palestinians would attend the workshop would be made by the leadership of Abbas, Abu Rudeineh said, adding that when a similar meeting was held in Washington in March 2018 to discuss ways of improving the economic and humanitarian situation facing Gazans, the Palestinians had chosen to stay away.

Continue Reading

International

Tourist bus near Egypt’s Gaza pyramids hit with bomb; injures 17

Agencies

Published

on

Cairo: A roadside bomb hit a tourist bus near the Giza Pyramids, wounding at least 17 people including tourists, Egyptian officials said. The officials said the bus was travelling on a road close to the under-construction Grand Egyptian Museum, which is located adjacent to the Giza Pyramids but is not yet open to tourists.

The bus was carrying at least 25 people mostly from South Africa, officials added. The attack comes as Egypt’s vital tourism industry is showing signs of recovery after years in the doldrums because of the political turmoil and violence that followed a 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Hosni Mubarak.

The officials said security forces cordoned off the site of the explosion and the wounded were taken to a nearby hospital. The explosion damaged a windshield of another car, they said. Footage circulated online shows shattered windows of the bus.

 

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief media. Atif Moftah, general supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum, said the explosion did not cause any damage to the museum, in a statement issued by the antiquities ministry.

No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. It is the second to target foreign tourists near the famed pyramids in less than six months.

In December, a bus carrying 15 Vietnamese tourists was hit by a roadside bomb, killing at least three of them.

Egypt has battled Islamic militants for years in the Sinai Peninsula in an insurgency that has occasionally spilled over to the mainland, hitting minority Christians or tourists. The insurgency gained strength after the 2013 military overthrow of the country’s first freely elected president, an Islamist whose brief rule sparked mass protests.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News9 mins ago

No restrictions on Jammu-Srinagar highway from May 27

SRINAGAR, MAY 21, 2019: Following a review of the security situation in the state and of the requirement of security...

Latest News3 hours ago

Skeleton of man missing from nearly two years found in Handwara forests

Srinagar, May 21 : Locals on Tuesday found skeleton of a man missing for nearly two years at forests of...

Latest News4 hours ago

BJP bats for grant of reserved seats to people displaced from PaK

Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir BJP unit Tuesday batted strongly for grant of seats reserved in the state assembly to...

Latest News4 hours ago

Gunfight rages in Shopian forest

Shopian, May 21 : An encounter broke out between forces and militants in south Kashmir’s Shopian forests this afternoon. Reports...

Latest News6 hours ago

India cuts off UN panel after Jammu & Kashmir report

New Delhi: Reacting angrily to a submission from the Geneva-based Human Rights Council (HRC) on the alleged violations in Jammu...

Latest News6 hours ago

Pak appoints Moin-ul-Haque as High Commissioner to India

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday appointed career diplomat Moin-ul-Haque as the High Commissioner to India. Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on...

Latest News7 hours ago

Two policemen from J&K scale Mount Everest

Srinagar, May 21 Two policemen from Jammu and Kashmir have scaled the Mount Everest, police said on Tuesday. Union Home...

Latest News7 hours ago

Budgam Chopper crash: IAF commander removed

Srinagar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) has removed the Air Officer Commanding (AOC) Srinagar Air Base, the senior-most officer of...

Latest News7 hours ago

VIDEO| Restrictions imposed in Srinagar to prevent Eidgah Chalo march

Srinagar, May 21: Authorities have imposed restrictions in Srinagar on Tuesday to prevent a separatist-called commemoration march. The Hurriyat Conference...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,453 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement