Connect with us

Sports

Messi can quit Barcelona, if Catalonia leaves Spain

Avatar

Published

🕒

on

IST

Barcelona: Lionel Messi could leave Barcelona without a transfer fee if Catalonia ceded from Spain and the club did not compete in any of Europe`s top four leagues, El Mundo said , citing a clause in his new contract.

Barca`s all-time top scorer signed the contract in November, seven months before his old deal expired. It runs until June 2021 and contains a 700 million euro ($843 million) buy-out clause.

But according to the Spanish daily, it would also allow the five-times world player of the year to leave the club where he has spent his entire career for free if Catalonias independence push resulted in Barca exiting Spains top flight and not joining either the Premier League, the Bundesliga or Serie A.

 

A Barca spokesman declined to comment directly on the report but added: “In the interests of confidentiality the club never comment on contracts signed with players and never will.”

Messi`s management team could not immediately be reached for comment.

The political crisis triggered by Catalonia`s independence drive remains unresolved after separatists won a slim parliamentary majority in a regional election last month.

Argentinian Messis latest contract was signed on Nov. 25, before that vote but after an autumn referendum on independence that authorities in Madrid declared illegal, dissolving the regions political institutions after they ratified it.

The referendum had direct ramifications for Barcelona who, on the day that it was held, chose to play their La Liga game against Las Palmas behind closed doors in response to police violence against would-be voters.

The president of La Liga, Javier Tebas, has repeatedly said Barcelona would be booted out of the Spanish league along with all other Catalan clubs in the event of independence, as only teams from Spain and Andorra are legally entitled to compete in the Spanish leagues.

Barca, who have won 24 Liga titles and lead this season`s standings by nine points, said after the referendum they would not speculate on the future.

However, they were “not planning for any other scenario than playing in the Spanish league. The club is competing in this competition and wants to win it.”


Advertisement
Loading...
Comments

Sports

TRAU FC qualify for I-League, beat Ozone FC to win second division league

Agencies

Published

on

NEW DELHI: The All India Football Federation (AIFF) lauded Manipur club Tiddim Road Athletic Union FC for winning the Hero 2nd Division League 2018-19, and qualifying to the next edition of Hero I-League.

They are the second club from the state after NEROCA FC, to have qualified for the Hero I-League from the second tier in three years.

TRAU FC defeated Ozone FC 2-1 at the Khuman Lampak Stadium in Imphal to clinch the championship with one match left. The Manipuri side has amassed 15 points from five matches (so far), whereas second-placed Chhinga Veng FC are on 10 points having played an equal number of matches.

 

Sunando Dhar, CEO, I-League said: “Congratulations TRAU FC for the achievement. I’m sure the Hero I-League will be more competitive and challenging next season with their inclusion. I wish them all the best for the next endeavour.”

Continue Reading

Sports

I want more responsibility at PSG or elsewhere: Mbappe

Agencies

Published

on

London: Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has thrown his future at the club into doubt by claiming he has reached what he sees as a “turning point” in his career.

Speaking after accepting the Ligue 1 Player of the Year Award this evening, the 20-year-old French international suggested he would like a bigger role going forward after claiming the Ligue 1 title with PSG this season.

However, Mbappe said that role could come either at PSG or “maybe somewhere else”, casting his future into doubt while hinting that he could leave the club in search of a new challenge.

 

“Of course there were some disappointments [this season] but it’s part of football, we managed to win this league,” he said after accepting the award on Sunday.

“I would like to thank the players, the coach, the club again. It’s important for me because I come to a first or a second turning point in my career.

“I discovered a lot of things here. I feel it’s time to have more responsibility. I hope it may be Paris Saint-Germain, it will be with great pleasure, or it may be elsewhere for a new project, but I would like to say thank you.

Mbappe went on to clarify his comments when asked if he was saying that he wasn’t guaranteed to stay at PSG next season.

“I said what I had to say. When you are in such an occasion you can send messages, I think I have sent mine,” he said.

“If I speak more it will be too much and that is not the message I wish to send.”

Mbappe joined PSG in 2017 from Monaco, having won the league the season prior.

Since joining the club, Mbappe has won the league twice while also claiming a Coupe de France and a Coupe de la Ligue title.

Mbappe, who was a part of France’s World Cup-winning team in 2018, has scored 59 goals in 86 matches for the club while leading the league in scoring this campaign with 32 goals in Ligue 1 play and a total of 38 in all competitions.

Those achievements helped him claim the Ligue 1 Player of the Year award as well as the Young Player of the Year award.

“This is the only trophy I missed,” he said.

“I would first like to dedicate it to the president, Nasser [Al-Khelaifi], who is watching us, I know he had a tragedy this year so I would like to pay tribute to him, he has always been an honest man with me from the first day until today.

“I would also like to thank all the people who are here. It is the fourth year that I am here in this league.

“I have lived a lot many things that are rich in emotion: AS Monaco, where I was trained, where we managed to win the title, then Paris Saint-Germain for a totally different project, where I managed to adapt from the first year, to change positions this year.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Asif Ali’s daughter loses battle with cancer

Agencies

Published

on

Islamabad: Pakistan batsman Asif Ali’s daughter, who suffered from stage four cancer, died in a hospital in the United States , Pakistan Super League (PSL) side Islamabad United has said.

Ali is currently on tour with the Pakistan national team in England and played in the 54-run defeat by the hosts in their final one-day international of the series.

“ISLU family pays its deepest condolences to @AasifAli2018 on the tragic loss of his daughter. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Asif & his family,” the PSL franchise said on Twitter on Monday.

 

“Asif is a great example of strength & courage. He is an inspiration to us.”

Dean Jones, who coached Islamabad to the PSL title last year, also sent his condolences to the cricketer’s family. “On behalf of my family and the @IsbUnited players and families… we send our condolences and love to @AasifAli2018 and his family on the passing of his beautiful daughter,” Jones said on Twitter.

Jones had broken down in tears at a media conference in March when talking about Ali and his daughter’s condition.

The 27-year-old Ali was not named in Pakistan’s World Cup squad but made the 17-man group for the series in England where the middle-order batsman hit two half-centuries in four innings.

Former captain and chairman of Pakistan’s selection committee Inzamam-ul-Haq said last month that Ali could be drafted into the side before the World Cup.

Teams have until May 23 to submit their final squads for the tournament which begins on May 30. Pakistan’s first game is against West Indies on May 31.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Latest News48 mins ago

Skeleton of man missing from nearly two years found in Handwara forests

Srinagar, May 21 : Locals on Tuesday found skeleton of a man missing for nearly two years at forests of...

Latest News2 hours ago

BJP bats for grant of reserved seats to people displaced from PaK

Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir BJP unit Tuesday batted strongly for grant of seats reserved in the state assembly to...

Latest News2 hours ago

Gunfight rages in Shopian forest

Shopian, May 21 : An encounter broke out between forces and militants in south Kashmir’s Shopian forests this afternoon. Reports...

Latest News4 hours ago

India cuts off UN panel after Jammu & Kashmir report

New Delhi: Reacting angrily to a submission from the Geneva-based Human Rights Council (HRC) on the alleged violations in Jammu...

Latest News4 hours ago

Pak appoints Moin-ul-Haque as High Commissioner to India

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday appointed career diplomat Moin-ul-Haque as the High Commissioner to India. Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on...

Latest News5 hours ago

Two policemen from J&K scale Mount Everest

Srinagar, May 21 Two policemen from Jammu and Kashmir have scaled the Mount Everest, police said on Tuesday. Union Home...

Latest News5 hours ago

Budgam Chopper crash: IAF commander removed

Srinagar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) has removed the Air Officer Commanding (AOC) Srinagar Air Base, the senior-most officer of...

Latest News5 hours ago

VIDEO| Restrictions imposed in Srinagar to prevent Eidgah Chalo march

Srinagar, May 21: Authorities have imposed restrictions in Srinagar on Tuesday to prevent a separatist-called commemoration march. The Hurriyat Conference...

Subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Kashmir Monitor and receive notifications of new stories by email.

Join 1,010,453 other subscribers

Archives

May 2019
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Advertisement