Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Major among 2 Armymen, porter killed in blasts, firing along Rajouri LoC

Srinagar, Jan 11:An Army Major and a soldier were killed and another one was injured in two separate incidents of blasts near Line of Control (LoC) in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district of Jammu on Friday.

Official sources said that the blast occurred at around 2:05 pm at Laam area, resulting in injuries to three soldiers. All the injured were taken to nearby military hospital where one of them succumbed to injuries.

They said that another blast took in the same sector at around 5:45 pm leading to the on spot death of the Army major.

Additional Superintendent of Police, Nowshera Girdhari Lal Sharma told GNS that two soldiers including an officer were killed and as many suffered injuries in the twin blasts that occurred near the fence in Laam area.

A defence ministry official said an Improvised Explosive Device explosion took place near LoC in Naushera Sector in which an Army Officer and a soldier got grievously injured. “Immediate resuscitation and medical aid was provided, however, they succumbed to the injuries,” he added.

Meanwhile, an Army porter was killed on Friday in alleged ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops in Sunderbani sector along the Line of Control in Rajouri district of Jammu.

“An army porter identified as Hemraj was injured critically in sniper fire from Pakistan side. Our troops have retaliated strongly”, army sources said.

The injured was immediately taken to nearby military hospital where he later succumbed, they said.

In a statement issued, a defence ministry official said that there was “unprovoked ceasefire violation by Pakistan troops in Sunderbani Sector in which an army porter named Hemraj was shot at and grievously injured.

“The individual was provided immediate resuscitation and medical aid; however, he later succumbed to the gunshot wounds. The Army authorities have promised all possible assistance to the family of Army Porter.” (Inputs from GNS)