New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi today extended the nationwide lockdown till May 3 in order to prevent spread of coronavirus.
Till April 20, every state, district, town and police station area will be closely monitored on parameters of how they are abiding by the restrictions and how they have managed to control the spread. If they manage to control the spread of the virus, some restrictions may be eased, but conditionally.
“Till 20th April, all districts, localities, states will be closely monitored, as to how strictly they are implementing norms. States which will not let hotspots increase, they could be allowed to let some important activities resume, but with certain conditions,” said PM Modi.
PM Modi further said that if people do not follow the guidelines in their areas post April 20 on ease of restrictions, then stricter lockdown will be reinforced.
While chief ministers of several states demanded the Centre to extend the lockdown, 11 of them – Odisha, Punjab, Maharashtra, Telangana, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Puducherry, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya – have already extended the lockdown till April 30.
- India’s fight against coronavirus is going on very strongly, says PM Modi in address to the nation.
- Because of people’s sacrifices, India has been able to contain coronavirus spread to a great extent: Modi
- “Despite pain and suffering you have performed you duties like a disciplined soldier to serve the country. This is the power of we the people of India,” says Modi.
- This display of our collective strength is true tribute to B R Ambedkar on his birth anniversary, says PM
- Appreciate people’s discipline for the lockdown amidst festive season
- India took the early initiative of containing the coronavirus and screening people arriving at airports
- Compared to many developed countries, based on statistics available, India has done much better job of containing the coronavirus spread
- People have had to pay an incredible economic cost, says Modi
- States, common people have suggested the extension of lockdown
- Lockdown extended till May 3 to contain coronavirus spread, says PM Modi
- Had India not taken a holistic and integrated approach to containing the spread in time the situation today would have been extremely bad
- The economic cost of social distancing and lockdown has been worth it in terms of saving precious lives