Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Locals allege Army ‘highhandedness’ in Kulgam

Kashmir Monitor 5

Srinagar, May 25: Soon after the grenade attack took place in Nehama village of South Kashmir’s Kulgam district, the Army went berserk in the village and damaged vehicles.
The villagers said that the Army troopers posted in the locality went “berserk” after grenade attack took place as they ransacked the windowpanes of the vehicles and shops.
The locals lamented that Army action has caused huge damage to their properties.
They also demanded removal of Army camp from the locality.
Meanwhile, the locals as well as the traders staged protest against the force action, demanding action against the troopers.
Sub District Magistrate Damhal Hanjiopora, Muhammad Umar addressed media persons in the district and said that Army has ransacked the windowpanes of 36 vehicles, shops and other belongings of people in the district.
“After the Army action, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kulgam CO Army visited the spot where people were expressing their resentment,” he said, adding that it has now been decided that Army will provide 60 per cent compensation wile as the rest of the 40 per cent will be compensated by the district administration.
“We are currently assessing the loss of the damage and the report will be submitted before Deputy Commissioner (DC) in this regard,” he said.
He further said that SSP has assured to register FIR in this regard. (KNS)