In a region mired in conflict, it takes all the more courage, and perseverance to be the voice of the voiceless, and to separate facts from propaganda. Help The Kashmir Monitor sustain so that we continue to be editorially independent. Remember, your contributions, however small they may be, matter to us.

Law student attacks fellows with knife, injures many

Srinagar, Apr 26: Several students were injured on Thursday in a scuffle in the Law Department at University of Kashmir (KU).
The fight took place among around 11 students of 6th and 8th semesters of the department in the morning, Chief Proctor KU, Prof Naseer Iqbal, told The Kashmir Monitor.
In the scuffle, a student of 6th semester, Prof Naseer said, allegedly attacked many with a knife.
“Many students alleged that he attacked them with the knife that he had brought with him,” Prof Naseer said.
Aqib, an 8th semester student, received grave injuries in his neck and he was referred to the SK Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) Soura from the varsity’s health center, as per Prof Naseer.
Two more students—Haseeb and Mueet, who received injuries in head and arm, respectively—were also referred to SKIMS for treatment, Prof Naseer said.
All the three students have been discharged from SKIMS and were “stable”, the proctor said.
Medical Superintendent SKIMS, Dr Farooq Jan, however, said that only Aqib who had “grave injuries in his neck” was brought to the hospital.
After undergoing “dressing” at the institute, Aqib was discharged from the hospital, Dr Jan added.
Prof Naseer said a few other students received “minor injuries”.
“Many girl students fainted due to panic. The student who was accused by other students to have attacked them with a knife was himself injured. He even denied that he possessed a knife at all,” Prof Naseer said.
The proctor said that Haseeb, one of the injured in the scuffle, had complained on Wednesday evening that they were abused and threatened by two students outside the university gate.
“As it was late, we told them that we would act against the students in the morning. But we came to know that there was a fight in the department,” Prof Naseer said.
“It happened just before the start of the class work. By the time we rushed to the spot, the injuries had taken place. We later shifted the injured to the hospital.”
A university spokesman said in a statement that a high level enquiry committee had been set up to probe the incident and submit its report within two days.
Head of the Law Department, Prof Mohammad Hussain, expressed ignorance over the incident, saying, “The scuffle took place outside the department premises”.