Srinagar: Stung by the exodus of migrant labourers, Jammu and Kashmir government has asked officers to explore the possibilities of engaging local workforce to resume the stalled developmental works in the valley.
On August 2, the state government issued an advisory asking tourists and Amarnath yatris to leave the valley citing militant threats. Three days later, Modi-led government abrogated Article 370 and divided the state into two union territories. The move triggered a panic reaction with non-local laborers making an early exit from the valley.
Feeling the pinch, government has now asked officers to explore the possibilities of engaging local laborers to resume the developmental works in the valley. Sources said district commissioner Srinagar has been directed to explore the possibility of arranging local laborers for sewage treatment plant being constructed by UEED at Rainawari.
“Besides, the contractors from outside the state be contacted and asked to resume the work for which assurance shall be given to them that they will be provided full support boarding and lodging at the site of work with necessary measures for safe stay in case they feel threatened,” the directives read.
Sources said departmental heads have told the government that due to the exodus of skilled labour force and non-availability of mobile phone facilities, they were unable to communicate with sub offices and divisions for the feedback.
Projects worth Rs 2000 crore are at different stage of works in the valley. Prior to the lockdown, government was expecting to complete 1800 languishing projects by the end of this year.
An official of Roads and Buildings Department said most of the semiskilled and skilled work force hail from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and other states. “It will be difficult to restart developmental works without skilled non-local labourers. Construction works can be restarted only when skilled labourers are available here,” said the official.
JK Govt announces winter vacations for schools from Dec 10
SRINAGAR, DECEMBER 09: Government today ordered winter vacation for all Government Educational Institutions and recognized private schools up to Higher Secondary level functioning in the Kashmir Division and winter zone areas of Jammu Division from December 10 to February 22, 2020.
The order was issued in view of foggy conditions and forecast of further dip in temperature along with rains and snowfall over next week.
Kashmiri bizman released until Mar 2020
New Delhi, Dec 7: Former head of Kashmir Chambers of Commerce Mubeen Shah, who was detained under the stringent Public Safety Act in the aftermath of the August 5 developments in Jammu and Kashmir, was released on Saturday after the Union Territory’s administration “temporarily released” him for three months, officials said.
Shah, a non-resident Indian who is based out of Malaysia, was released this morning after an order issued by the Home Secretary of Jammu and Kashmir was handed over to jail authorities.
The order said that he had been temporarily released for a period of three months and should surrender on March 7, 2020.
Shah was among the host of politicians, social activists and businessmen detained on August 5, when the Centre withdrew special status to the erstwhile state and also bifurcated it into two union territories – Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir.
Domicile, job protection; Rights of locals will be protected to maximum limits: BJP
Srinagar, Dec 7: Amidst growing demand for domicile certificate and job protection following abrogation of Article 370 provisions, the BJP’s Jammu and Kashmir unit on Saturday assured the people that their rights would be protected to permissible maximum limits under the Constitution. It accused opposition parties and groups of making “false and irresponsible” statements to incite public.
“The government is already working to protect to maximum permissible under the Constitution of India parameters, the right of local population for land ownership, Industries and jobs and there is no need for any person to worry on that account,” the BJP’s chief spokesperson in Jammu and Kashmir, Sunil Sethi, said in a statement here. He said Jammu and Kashmir is in the “safest political hands” of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah and people should pay no heed to any “misgivings and misinformation” by vested elements.
“The applicability of the Constitution to Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir in toto and consequential abolition of discriminatory Art 370 and Art 35A as also erstwhile state Constitution is the biggest constitutional change since Independence and this huge development has taken place to give justice and equality to all Indians, including residents of Jammu Kashmir, and Ladakh. “This development is bringing and ensuring all round development and equality in all regions of Jammu and Kashmir,” Sethi said.
In an apparent reference to the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party and the Congress who are demanding domicile certificate and job protection, Sethi alleged that these parties, left without any logical stand and political issues, are trying to incite public by making false and irresponsible statements. The Constitution permits protection of local population and various states and Union Territories have made laws and regulations for saving interest of local population, while keeping rights of national population intact, he said.