2 mins read

Kashmir shuts to mourn killing of Manan; Friday prayers barred at Jamia; cops among scores injured in clashes

October 13, 2018
Srinagar: Youth throw stones on Security forces amid tear gas smoke during clashes between forces and protesters who were protesting against the killing of Scholar-turned-top militant Commander Manan Wani and his associate, in Srinagar on Friday, Oct 12, 2018. PTI Photo by Umar Ganie

Srinagar, Oct 12: At least 25 people including three police officers were injured in protests on Friday even as a complete shutdown was observed across the Valley against the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Manan Bashir Wani and his associate in an encounter with government forces in north Kashmir’s Kupwara on Thursday.
Reports said that amidst a complete shutdown in response to the call given by the joint Hurriyat leadership, scores of people protested across the Valley against the killing of Manan and his associate, Ashiq Hussain Zargar, both residents of Kupwara.
At least six people suffered injuries in pellet firing by government forces at Tikipora, the native village of Manan.
Among the injured Shakir Ahmad Bhat (18), Babar Ahmad Bhat (23) son of Mohammad Sultan Bhat of Takipora, Mohammad Shafi son Wali Mohd Lone and Shafat Ahmad Naikoo son of Ghulam Mohdin, both residents of Diver Lolab, were shifted to Sub District Hospital from where they were referred to Srinagar for advanced treatment. Another injured, Tariq Lohar of Kakerpati, was admitted in the SDH.
The locals also alleged that CRPF troopers allegedly misbehaved with Manan’s aunt Razeena Begum.
In the clashes that continued till late Friday evening, Additional SP Kupwara, Shafqat Hussain, ITBP trooper Mohammad Maqbool and Head Constable Ghulam Mohammad of SOG camp were injured in clashes at Takipora.
In Lalpora Lolab, at least four people suffered minor injuries in government forces action against angry youth who attacked a police station with stones. The CRPF and police fired warning shots after they failed to disperse stone-pelting protesters with batons and tear smoke shells.
SHO Lalpora Abdur Rashid, Head Constable Ghulam Mohammad were also injured in the clashes that continued till late evening.
During the clashes, forces fired a teargas that fell inside the house of Haji Ghulam Mohammad Bhat due to which it reportedly caught fire. Immediately fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused off the flames. The fire caused partial damage to household goods.
The residents of Batpora, Lalpora, Sheikhpora, Teli Mohalla and other villages accused CRPF troopers of ransacking their properties. They alleged that the troopers also beat up several people without any reason.
In Sogam, two youth were injured during clashes between government forces and the protesters. The youth identified as Akhtar Ahmad Lone and Mushtaq Ahmad Bhat were removed to the nearby hospital for treatment.
Police have filed two separate FIRs 79/2018 under section 147, 148, 149 and 80/2018 under section 147, 148,149 at Sogam police station in connection with violent protests against Manan’s killing on Thursday. One FIR pertains to the injury caused to Chowki Officer Kuligam in stone pelting clashes, sources said.
The frontier district of Kupwara wore a deserted look in wake of the shutdown. All educational institutions in the district remained closed amid fears of protests.
Reports of clashes were also received from several parts of south Kashmir, where a complete shutdown was observed on JRL call.
In Redwani Bala in Kulgam, protesters fought pitched battles with government forces after offering congregational Friday prayers. The government forces used numerous tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters, witnesses said.
In Srinagar, a complete shutdown was observed with shops, financial establishments, petrol pumps and banks remaining closed while skeletal traffic plied on the roads, reports said.
The authorities barred people from offering Friday prayers at historic Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta area in Old City, Srinagar where restrictions were imposed along with areas in its vicinity falling within the jurisdictions of five police stations.
After Friday prayers, members of Joint Hurriyat leadership held a protest at Maisuma against the killing of the two Hizb militants. However, the protesters dispersed peacefully.
In Soura, youth staged a protest and clashed with the government forces. During the ding-dong battles, at least two people were injured.
Reports of clashes were also received from Natipora, Chanpora, Mochowa and Kralpora areas of city and outskirts. The government forces used tear smoke shells and pellets to break up the pro-freedom demonstrations, witnesses said.
Meanwhile, reports of the shutdown have also been received from Banihal town, and Gundadalkoot, Charil, Tethar and Nowgam markets located on Jammu-Srinagar highway. (With inputs from GNS)

Discover more from The Kashmir Monitor

Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.

Don't miss a beat! The Kashmir Monitor delivers the latest Kashmir news, sports highlights from every league, political updates, entertainment buzz, and tech innovations happening right now.

A Newspaper company in Kashmir

Leave a Reply